“Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

New Hartford, IA
4 attraction reviews
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at this architectural masterpiece in mid-July with my family (wife and 3 kids under 11) and another couple. Ever since my wife and I toured Cedar Rock in Quasqueton, IA, we have been FLW enthusiasts. Our children fell in love with the Schwartz House from the moment we opened the front door. While the home is dated and in need of a professional restorationist's advice, you cannot ignore the genius that is reflected in the design. The furnishings were dated, but comfortable enough. The owners were very helpful and the library of FLW books was great. We brought our boat to do some skiing on Lake Michigan, and I wish we had taken the time to just spend a day at the house. Our only regret (which we realized right away) is only spending two nights. We are already planning a week long trip next year. Note: this should be moved to vacation rentals.

Visited July 2012

oshkosh
“Perfect for a couples weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary with a few friends. The house was amazingly beautiful. The tall ceilings in the great room, kitchen, and master bath allowed outside light to enter through wooden cutout patterns on the windows. The great room was very spacious and well designed with heated floors. Also has a split hearth with plenty of room to stretch out while watching TV or listening to music.The master bedroom was large and had a full bathroom. The other three bedrooms are relatively small, but suitable for sleeping. Our group spent most of our time in the great room, kitchen, and dining area anyway. The house is located on a large riverfront lot with two patios. Also has a stairway down to the river.
I must take exception to the first reviewer who commented on the shabbiness of the furniture. Although the furniture had dated colors, it was clean, comfortable, and in good condition. The "retro" colors grew on our group and reminded us of the Brady Bunch house. The decorating was somewhat kiitschy, but delightful. My wife and I were thrilled to find fresh cut flowers waiting on the dining room table. Special thanks to the owners for their thoughtfulness.
The owners have gone out of their way to equip the house with useful amenities including Wi-Fi, LCD TV, stereo, CD's, DVD's, washer/dryer, gas grill, cooking utensils, clean towels, board games, and books about Frank Lloyd Wright. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend to others.

Visited April 2012
dhahran
4 attraction reviews
“Architectural details make the house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

As a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, I was extremely excited for the opportunity to spend a few nights under the roof of a FLW home, and the Swartz House itself was everything I imagined it would be - astonishing attention to detail, amazing Morning and evening light shows, and a pervasive sense of the man who designed it. It was a pleasure just to sit and absorb the history of this simple yet profound piece of American architecture. There was, however, if not displeasure at least disappointment in many of the home's accessories: the furnishings were shabby, lumpy, beyond time-worn and not at all what I expected in a two-night minimum, expensive accommodation. I get that the sectional might have been original to the previous owners, but seriously, have a comfortable, clean replica made! Throughout our stay, I just kept thinking how much more fabulous the house - and the experience - could have been if the attention to detail apparent in the design and construction of the house would have carried thru to everything else.

Bring a camera and tripod - the place is most photogenic at day break and dusk, walking shoes to explore the delightful neighborhood, and a peaceful attitude. There's a fully functional kitchen, but we found several local places that delivered so really didn't test it out. There's also a washer and dryer, which really came in handy!

This was a great chance to live in history, and one I'd surely take advantage of again!

Visited August 2011

Been to Bernard Swartz House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bernard Swartz House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.