“It doesn't get any worse than this!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Lodge of Turtle Lake

Country Lodge of Turtle Lake
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Lake
Country Lodge of Turtle Lake
You added Country Lodge of Turtle Lake to your Saves list
636 Highway 8 & 63, Turtle Lake, WI 54889   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turtle Lake
Marquette Michigan
“It doesn't get any worse than this!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Didn't make a reservation seeing it was a week day. I walked in asked the price of the room and handed front desk person (owners son) my credit card. That was my first mistake. If you are ever unfamiliar with the hotel it's a good idea to check out the room prior to making payment. That is my new rule of thumb. Anyway, my family and I went to the room and found it to be discusting. Sheets were paper thin. You could see throught them. Beds were low to the ground and sunk to the floor when we sat on it. We were in the room for less than 2 minutes and decided this was not the place for us. I went to the front desk and asked for a refund that we found the room unacceptable. I gave the multiple reasons why. The BOY at the front desk said we don't give refunds. I said I am not happy with the room and I insist on getting my money back. Again, I told the BOY that the room was unsatisfactory. He told me I would have to wait until morning when I could talk with management. I told him I would not wait until morning. All of a sudden the BOY'S mother showed up at the desk. She argued with me over and over and would not budge on giving me my money back. I was furious that these people were taking $95 from me. I called the police to see if there was anything they could do. I didn't have the police go into the hotel because I didn't want this conversation to get heated again. The police officer from the town told me that these people are known to rip people off. That they are horrible to deal with. I didn't take the time to read reviews on this place . I wish I would have seeing there are nothing but terrible things posted about this hote. The police officer asked why I decided to stay there rather than the casino across the street. The next day I called the casino to find out that the room was actually $30 cheaper.

The owners of the Country Lodge are the most rude people I have ever dealt with in my life. Not all people in Turtle Lake are like this.

DON'T STAY HERE. Always check reviews and the rooms prior to pulling out your plastic.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Northfield, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Called for a reservation and although there were rooms available, they would not take a reservation. The wanted to wait for walk ins and explained that if we got there and there was still a room available, we could have it. We're three hours away and didn't want to be turned away when we arrived. Not very customer friendly. We wouldn't stay here ever.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tularosa, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I read the reviews here, and was honestly very afraid to book this room. We had to go to Turtle Lake, and the casino hotel would not take any reservations if you weren't involved in the pow-wow. So, long story short, we had no choice but to stay at the Country Lodge.

I was surprised. My room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The hosts (a Korean family) were pleasant and easy. Overall, it was a good value for the money. As one that frequently stays at 5 star hotels, there is no way that I could give this 5 stars, but I thought that it deserved better than a three. For what the hotel is, it is a fine hotel and I would stay here again if I were in Turtle Lake.

Breakfast: A few more options would be good
Beds: Definitely not the mattresses at the Hilton, Wyndham or Marriott
Rooms: Spacious and Clean
Pool: My granddaughter loved it, the jacuzzi is a little weak

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We were in Turtle Lake for a wedding. We reserved a room at the casino hotel, when we got there, we found out we had to pay in advance, Not knowing this and it being Thursday night and not getting paid until Friday Morning we did not have enough money that night to pay the bill in full, We are from Madison, $40.00 till tomorrow morning, I told my girlfriend Sandy to see if the motel across the street had rooms, As she did, I was still trying to fix our casino hotel stay, Sandy did get us reservations at Country Lodge, In the time it took her to make the arrangements at Country Lodge, I was able to fix our stay at the casino. So I told her to cancel the reservations she just made, a total time laps of 4 minutes. As she tried to cancel, they at Country Lodge told her that they were going to have to charge her for three days anyway even if we don't stay there. I was so mad I even called the Turtle Lake P.D.

They at Country Lodge said this is there policy and they had no choice but to charge us for the unused rooms, I said this is fraud, I looked at the cop, and he said I really feel sorry for you but there is nothing I can do now this is a civil mater. I told Sandy to call and cancel her credit card and let them know what is going on, She did, and while she was talking with an agent for the credit card company, they told her Country Lodge had tried three time to extract money from her card, Even the credit card people told Sandy that what Country Lodge is doing is illegal.

In any event I'm trying to let you folks know that the people at Country Lodge in Turtle Lake are dirty wicked,mean,Fraudulent people, and should go to JAIL. and have there business taken away. I'm told they do this to people all the time, and have even double charged credit cards for one night of service. BEWARE DO NOT GO THERE,,,EVER

Room Tip: Go to the Casino Hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I had a wedding in Turtle Lake for my fathers wedding. My boyfriend, daughter and i were in town. Made a reservation at country lodge for 3 nights 4 minutes later i called and cancelled and they said they were going to charge me for all 3 nights because i did not give them a 48 hour cancelation notice i was so pissed i was there to celebrate a wedding and they wanted to chardge me for a cancelling a reservation my recomendation is not to stay here for anything they are rude and want to charge you for not even staying there

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Baraboo, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I really don't like to say anything negative about a family owned and operated business. I'm usually of the mindset that if I have a less than stellar experience, it could be an aberration rather than the norm, or it could be a matter of personal subjectivity.

But with that being said, I feel obligated to make an exception in the case of the Country Lodge. Not so much as a forum for me to complain, but just to let others know about the issues that we had and let them come to their own conclusions.

The owner/manager was somewhat rude from the second we walked in the door, and although we never asked for or expected any discount on the room when we brought an issue to her attention after getting to the room, she then implied that we had sabotaged our stay in order to get something for free. This was never remotely our intention. We just wanted management to be aware of the issue, and we were surprised when her reaction was fairly paranoid and thoroughly unprofessional.

We stayed in the room regardless, once again chalking it up to a lesson learned.

The next morning, we checked out the continental breakfast. The room was open, so we went in and sat down a few minutes early (along with several other patrons). The gentleman who was getting the breakfast ready had an outburst because people were "looking at him". He made such a production out of it that we (and several other people) just decided to skip it. Before checking out, we mentioned how upset this young man was, and we were told that he is the owners son and that he is just shy. We were also told that we shouldn't have been in the room before he was done setting out the bagels and juice and such anyway.

For the most part, we were treated very poorly during our stay, as were the other guests we encountered, and it was primarily by the owner and her son as opposed to the average rogue employee.

Considering the unusual contempt that management seemed to have towards all of their guests during our stay, I couldn't recommend the establishment to anyone, regardless of the good location and decent prices.

• Stayed November 2010
Raleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend get away and to be close to the casino. We should have listened to the review that is no longer on here. If any exceptions are asked of management they are not accommodating and flat out rude. The man talking care of the breakfast area became very angry that we were in the room 5 minutes before it was open and started yelling. After reading how one woman had an awful time dealing with the owner regarding bed bugs and our experience I would never stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay at the b&b or casino.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Country Lodge of Turtle Lake? Share your experiences!