“Wouldn't stay there again” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Tomah
tomah wi
“Wouldn't stay there again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

My husband, children and I are actually from Tomah. We decided to take a night away from home and swim with the kids and just relax for the night. We got the Jacuzzi sweet on the second floor. As you all know that have little 2 and 3 year olds running around you can't really use the jacuzzzi and relax until the kids are asleep. So we didn't strat the jacuzzi unil about 10:30 p.m. Just got in the jacuzzi we here a knock. I had to hurry up and get dressed to answer the door wtih my clothes sopping wet to be told we had a complaint from service desk from the guy downstairs on the 1st floor under us complaining about the noise then he left. Well that was just a big mood killer so we drained it and then right after that we got a call which was nice of him to tell us that he was in the wrong about telling us to be quiet. I told him it was to late for that we already drained everything. He didn't even offer any discount since we paid all that money for that room and couldn't even use what we were there for, and I think he was even the owners son which he probably had the power to do something about that. When we checked out NOTHING was acknoweledged about it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Greetings!
This is my first review. I went against most of the reviews on here and am glad I did. I was stationed at Ft. McCoy when I was deployed to Iraq several years ago and always wanted to have my family stay here but it was always sold out.

We stayed in the Sandhill Crane Suite on the third floor. It appears all rooms are suites. Some do have fireplaces, too. Our room had a jacuzzi in the separate bedroom with a king bed. The bed at first seemed really firm, but quickly I fell asleep and actually had to check to see who made it :) We actually stayed an additional night because we enjoyed it so much. In the entrance to the hotel is a bar area which is enclosed, and also across the hall from the bar is a room with a fireplace to relax. The breakfast is minimal with hard boiled eggs & cereal, etc. The pool area was very nice with a separate "adult jacuzzi area" All in all we really enjoyed the North woods theme and feel of the wood that envelopes the entire room. The price of our 2 room suite was very comparable to other hotels without the extra theme that we enjoy. The location is great being a stones throw from the tollway. Perkins is just across the other side of the highway. Almost forgot the hotel is pet friendly only charging a $10 fee.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

After looking for hotels in Tomah, I came across this hotel. It looks pretty good on the website, but don't be fooled! I reserved a room on their website on a Sunday, but never got the confirmation email. I called them myself on Tuesday to confirm, but no answer. While waiting for them to call back, I redid the online reservation. When they called back, the lady said something like "Sometimes the reservation requests get missed". (I accepted that as it was holiday season, but I never did get an email confirmation from either one of my requests). She did confirm that I had reservations though.

When we arrived later that night, it looked ok driving up, but from then on, it was a disappointment. Check in was ok -- not overly friendly or welcoming, but ok. However, we were not offered any waterpark passes as it stated on their website. (After seeing the little slide we probably wouldn't have gone anyway). We got to our room and while the log-style furniture was a nice touch, the rest of the room left much to be desired! The room (Mallard) was very tight & the condition was awful! The caulk job around the sink looked terrible, the shower drain looked so yucky I didn't even take a shower, there was some small white spot of something on the living room chair, etc. From the website, it looks like a newer, rustic type of lodge, but my husband thinks it's an old Rodeway Inn they tried to remodel! The worst -- and GROSSEST -- thing was that there were black, dog-like hairs all over the comforters and therefore the pillows! YUCKKKK!!!!!!! My kids & husband were so grossed out!

Upon checkout, I walked into the lobby & stood there for literally about 5 minutes while the front desk lady kept talking to someone else on the phone (coincidentally, the person on the phone was complaining about something & she was trying to resolve that issue!). She never even acknowledged me during that time -- HOW RUDE!!! Afterwards, I complained about 3 things 1) not receiving the confirmation email, 2) not being offered the waterpark passes upon check-in & 3) the disgusting dog hairs on the bedding! Instead of offering some sort of discount or compensation, she just said "I'm sorry about that.....would you like to fill out a comment card?" I told her, "No! I'll do a review online" Why keep the complaints internal?! I'd rather warn others to stay away from this place! I can't believe we paid almost $100 for a night's stay at this place! What a ripoff! We paid the same rate at two upscale, brand-name chain hotels in Chicago!!

Like others have suggested, this place is in dire need of new management, better housekeepers, and some general repairs.

• Liked — log-style furniture
  • Disliked — hairs (dog?) on the bedding
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

The rooms were OK. The beds were very hard and the room had a damp smell. It is off season so maybe why. Also, the pool was being worked on. The one slide they had was totally apart. I didn't think that was so bad but the part of the pool that was open was cold and the hot tub was the perfect pool temp, even a little cool. From construction, there was dust everywhere. I would have respected the property much more if they had mentioned the pool was under construction. I think they would have been better off closing it.

• Liked — Log furniture in room
  • Disliked — bad pool, hard beds, & smell in room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

First off I was having a birthday party for my daughter and a few of her friends. I made reservations online and then I called the hotel to confirm. I told them that we were going to go to wisconsin dells to a hotel with a waterpark for the kids but we decided to come there since it was closer. They didn't even bother to tell me that they were taking down the slides until we arrived at the hotel. This was suppose to be a happy time for the kids that soon turned to disappointment. I asked why we were not told and the manager stated "oh I take thousands of reservations a day so I couldn't call everyone", I didn't know the hotel had that many rooms hhhmmmmm. Anyways we went to our room and tried to make the best of things since it was to late to haul the kids to the Dells. In our room it was the worse I've ever seen! What they wanted me to call "unmentionables" I would call snott flicked on the bathroom walls, questionable goo next to the beds and on the walls,I can only imagine what it was and also mold in the creases of the kitchen table. When I complained I was told "oh we don't get into the creases" how nasty is that! One of the towels in the bathroom looked like someone just got done eating ribs and wiped their mouth on it and hung it back up. The pool was dirt at the bottom and the floors and tables looked like they had never been cleaned. We got a different room which wasn't much better and went to Walmart and got some cleaners. If it wouldnt have been such a let down to the kids we would have drove back home, instead we cleaned the room by ourselves What a disappointment! We all woke up itching with rashes. At this rate I doubt this hotel will keep going and I can't wait until new owners come in and run it right, people keeping a hotel this nasty can't last long.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Very unsanitary
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orange County New york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Okay place. It is old and in need of a rehab. For the price it was okay. The rroms were large. There is a rather large pool, they call a water park. If you have ever stayed at a Great wolf Lodge you will be greatly disappointed. It is a pol with a couple of slides. A nice aside but not a water park. The staff doesnt seem that interested . Some Quality good some bad. Overall Average

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Des Moines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

While attending a class at Ft. McCoy, I stayed at this Hotel/Lodge for two weeks. I didn't experience any thing bad. A clean room daily, very nice accommodations, and spent almost every evening at the water park. There were eight other soldiers there in different family type theme rooms, some with fire places, some with whirlpools, and some with both. My room was the Kids Deluxe Suite with a queen size bed and bunk beds for kids. Even though I was not there with kids, the room was clean, cute and accommodated me just fine! With that said, my wife and I are planning to stay a night there on a mini vacation here this month (Oct 08) and I'm hoping to share the same great experiences that I had last year. I hope I can continue to tell people good things about your accommodations and services.

• Liked — Variation/layouts of rooms and water park
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cranberry Country Lodge? Share your experiences!