Our trip to the Holkham beach lead us to this quaint pub, perfectly located opposite the Holkham beach and on the entrance to the park. One can't really miss this pub as its grandeur front and its elegant presence on the estate commands a visit to sample its delicacies.
Well after spending a good day at the beach we were ravenous for some hearty grub. Our visit was on sunday and therefore the pub was having a set menu predominantly seafood with a hint of Englishness. There was a shack outside the pub for outdoor lite lunches.
We tried locally sourced fish and chips and crab sandwich with garlic. The produce were fresh and it tasted gorgeous, the chips were prefectly shaped and chunky just the way it should be. There were other guests too and they all were tucking delicious seafood.
I have mentioned in my previous pub reviews that some of the pubs are trying to hard with intercontinental style menu but forget that our country can produce delicate flavours with locally sourced produce. The menu at the Victoria Inn was inspirational and definitely one where they could perhaps lead other pubs in their direction.
Importantly will I be back here? Definitely with shadow of a doubt... Its good to see the menu you guys have produced. 5 stars for their efforts and their service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing at the gateway to Holkham and the National Nature Reserve, The Victoria is a classic English inn owned by the Coke family and managed by the Holkham Estate. There are ten elegant, indivually designed and stylish bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms. We are ready to welcome more guests in spring 2015 with the addition of a further ten bedrooms just across the road from The Victoria in one of the oldest buildings on the Holkham Estate: Ancient House. The building has been converted to provide ten additional bedrooms, including four spacious family room. The sympathetic refurbishment has retained many of the building's original features, combining authentic charm with luxurious modernity. The bar and dining rooms at The Vic offer a relaxed blend of style and comfort. We serve delicious locally sourced food, much of it grown and raised on the estate, with a bold emphasis on freshness, simplicity and value. Holkham has been a leading agricultural estate since the 1800's when Thomas William Coke bought the site and the young Queen Victoria elevated him to the peerage in recognition of his contribution to farming in 1837. The name of the proposed new inn must have been inevitable when it opened its doors in 1838. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your The Victoria Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Victoria At Holkham Hotel Wells-Next-The-Sea
- Victoria At Holkham Hotel