“Beautiful location and lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Victoria Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holkham
The Victoria Inn
You added The Victoria Inn to your Saves list
Park Road, Holkham, Wells-next-the-Sea NR23 1RG, England (Formerly The Victoria Hotel at Holkham)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holkham
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location and lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We arrived early but had a bar lunch which was delicious and then went for a long walk down to Holkham beach and on to the North Sea. When we came back our room was ready and we fancied a nap. Unfortunately Room 7 is right above the servery with the door swinging backwards and forwards so we could not sleep. After the third telephone call to reception we finally got the manager, Ben, and threatened to check out if the noise continued. He was very helpful and stuffed a napkin in the door to stop it banging, but this problem needs to be sorted permanently. Other than that our room was lovely and dinner was brilliant. Lovely home cooked food with a high standard. The manager offered us a free drink in the evening and knocked £50 off our bill when we checked out. That is what I call service and management. We will definitely return but perhaps ask not to be checked into Room 7 in case they have not yet fixed that servery door.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best view. See my comments above.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Victoria.
My apologies again for the disturbance caused by the servery door which I can assure you has now been permanently repaired and napkin removed. We look forward to welcoming you back again on you return and I can assure you that there will be no need to avoid room 7 when you do so.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

An immaculate restoration of a beautiful inn in fabulous surroundings. Well done. Food was uninspiring, despite an enticing menu. There really isn't any excuse for tepid coffee at breakfast. An enjoyable stay nevertheless.

• Stayed April 2014
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding the Victoria’s refurbishment, regrettably it has not been to everybody’s taste although like you we are delighted with the results.
I ‘m sorry to read that you found the food offering uninspiring and agree entirely that there is most certainly no excuse for tepid coffee at breakfast and will address your findings with the F&B team.
I would welcome any further feedback you may be able to provide regarding the food offer and can be contacted at the Victoria should you have the time to discuss this matter in more detail.
Yours gratefully
Ben Hunter-Watts
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

What a wonderful experience - everything was laid on for us. Proper beds and the most wonderful delicious sausages at breakfast! We were a delighted spoilt pair of cocker spaniels, and the walks through the pine woods and along the beach were fantastic.

Our owners appeared just as delighted too, so it's a definite we will be back. Thank you all so much for all the attention to detail - and for providing a real home from home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Our two legged friend who helps us run the Victoria is delighted that your owners enjoyed their time away with you and we hope that you will bring them back again soon.
A very big woof
George and Millie
The boarder terriers
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We made an impromptu stopover as we drove past during a weekend visit to the area and thought it looked good. We were greeted by very professional and helpful staff who showed us our room which was stunning and really comfortable. We had a 3 year old who was also greeted in a friendly manner which continued during the duration of our stay. Staff couldn't do enough and dinner and breakfast were delicious (Eggs Benedict were yummy!). Good quality in-room toiletries (sorry - couldn't resist!) and refreshments (I only just managed to resist ;-). Complimentary port was a nice touch. Holkham is a stunning location with a beach and natural marsh and wildlife on the doorstop. Great that they were very dog friendly too. Looking forward to returning soon and often.

Room Tip: The top floor family room was awesome - separate bedroom for the little ones and two gorgeous bathro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that your stay was made so enjoyable by the team at the Victoria; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

This was our third visit for dinner since it was refurbished. My wife and I brought two friends who had never been before but who had just bought a house nearby. So expectations were high and we all wanted to have a great meal so that we would want to return often. Oh dear.......three of us ordered the fillet steak....the most expensive choice on the menu. The steak was of poor quality and cooked appallingly. Two were sent back as were rare when medium and medium well were ordered. They came back a little browner but still rare inside. They went back again and this time a new steak arrived.......sadly no better. To get it wrong three times at £25 a steak is poor. We can't understand how this can happen as it inevitably leads to a memory that discounts the Victoria when we come to choose one of the vast number of good eateries in the locality. We want it to be good so we can keep coming back but the Victoria doesn't share the same mindset. Fare play, the manager acknowledged that the steaks were unacceptable and the bill reflected it. Come on....this is basic fare.......you need to delight your customers not underwhelm them.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Victoria.
Firstly I would like to assure you that my team and I at the Victoria are committed delivering a quality food and beverage offer as well as exceptional customer service which I am sure you will see highlighted in our recent reviews.
Over the years I have worked with many chefs and indeed spent 8 years of my own career working in kitchens and I can honestly say if I was asked to put a chef forward to work a grill section in a busy kitchen and deliver consistency time and again Matt our sous chef would be that Chef.
Therefore I find myself in the rather uncomfortable position of my own surprise almost outweighing your disappointment as when investigating your review Matt immediately informed me that he was working the grill section on the evening in question and was entirely at fault!
As far as the quality of the meat is concerned all our beef is sourced from reputable local suppliers although of coarse every animal is different and maybe a tough fillet could have thrown Matt’s usually impeccable touch.
Thank you in particular for your acknowledgment of our F&B manager’s actions towards rectifying the issues on the evening in question. I am a great believer that exceptional customer service can rescue a poor dining experience although understandably on this occasion we still have some way to go and I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you, should you have the time to do so I would be delighted to hear from you and can be contacted at the Victoria.
Kind regards
Ben
Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went for a meal here on the Friday night of our trip. A couple with a dog. The food was amazingly cooked and well presented. The menu had a great selection and the wine was wonderful. The thing that impressed me most was how hospitable they were towards not only us but our pooch! The waitress brought over a water bowl and offered biscuits to him as if he were another paying customer. I was very happy with the service and the staff where amazing. The owner should be very proud of his staff, they made this a lovely experience for us.
Thank you and we will be returning next time we are in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
“SO pleased your review majored on the customer service delivered by our staff. After 13 years of running the “Vic” in-house (apart from 2011-12 when Adnams had a management contract), I genuinely believe at present it’s the best it’s been. That is down to Ben our manager and his fantastic team. Only yesterday we had a staff induction day for all new estate staff, at which 4 new Vic were present. What impressed me most about them was they all had the right Attitude, we can teach them the Aptitude. I AM immensely proud of all our staff.
Thank you and do come and visit us again.”

Tom

Viscount Coke, Owner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We just spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed it. Our room was warm and comfortable. The bathroom was great - fluffy white towels, wonderfully scented bath products and under floor heating. The overhead shower head was huge and I definitely achieved monsoon-like rain once I'd picked the limescale out of a few of the blocked holes! My only regret in the bathroom - and this is being picky - is that there were no facecloths!
In the room, there was a great selection of teas (Clipper) and nifty single cup filter coffee bags to enjoy when we got back from walking along the beautiful Holkham beach. Interestingly, there was a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover positioned on the table which certainly makes a change from the standard Gideon Bible that you usually find in hotel rooms!
We had dinner at the hotel on both nights of our stay. Both meals were completely delicious. I had roasted hake with wilted greens and dauphinoise potatoes and my partner in crime had a very tender and tasty steak. On the second night, we had moules mariniéres and chicken, both of which were lovely. The atmosphere and the service were great.
Breakfast time was until 11am which suited us well and there was a great selection of cereals, fruit, pastries and cooked food.
The location of the hotel is perfect for serious walkers as well as for those just wanting to have a stroll in the stunning parkland of Holkham Hall or along the famous beach. It's also handy for shopping in Burnham Market - lots to do. I wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: We were in room 1 - very comfortable with dual aspect.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!