“Not so hot!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Paris, France
“Not so hot!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Perhaps I went on an off night, but I was thoroughly dissapointed with Remington's.
Many of the reviews here have been very good, however, I have to say that in my opinion, the word "mediocre' is generous when describing the food at this establishment.

I went on a Friday because one of us wanted a Fish Fry which the Milwaukee area is known for. Being from the area myself I know what the expectations are for a fish fry. The person who ordered the Friday fish fry said it was pretty good. However,for my meal, I can not say the same about. I ordered the special which was described as a "horshradish encrusted white fish with choice of potato and soup or salad'. Ok, so I chose the salad. It was essentially a bag salad mix of greens with a side of dressing, a couple slices of cucumber an two cherry tomatoes. I then ordered the garlic mashed potatoes to go with my main course. So, when the main course came, it looked attractive, but was essentially bland and tasteless. Considering the seasoning of the fish was horseradish, I expected something of a taste sensation to hit my tastebuds. There was none of that. I could not even perceive the flavor of horseradish and all of the food needed to be salted. Bland, bland, bland. And all that for 18 dollars. The best thing on the plate where the al dente baby carrots and asperagus. I woudl have been better off ordering a hamburger. But then again, this is a place that serves as a main dish, mac and cheese, so, perhaps I had my hopes too high for this place.

A very meager glass of wine will cost you 8 dollars.

This is the kind of place where I say, I would much rather spend half that money at the best upscale grocer in town and prepare a fabulous meal at home rather than have my taste buds let down by less than ordinary fare at somewhat inflated prices.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Solid food in a warm environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Tucked away in the small downtown of Thiensville, this cozy restaurant provides excellent food and friendly waitstaff. The food is more comfortable than fine cuisine, and the prices are reasonable. Enjoy the au jus beef sandwich or a chicken tenders with the kids. The soups are soothing, and the nightly specials are worth checking out. The Friday fish fry is solid, if unspectacular. Save $ by using restaurant.com.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee
“Terrible - AVOID - Go somewhere else!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stopped by one evening for a couple drinks - the bartender was very rude - he DEMANDED that he hold our credit card - for a $10 bill!!! We were shocked, we have NEVER been treated that badly EVER. Then our card was just laid on the counter for anyone to see or grab!!! Terrible terrible attitude!!! Found a much better establishment just 10 minutes away - don't bother with this place..

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mequon, Wisconsin
“Nice Atmosphere, Inconsistent Service, Adequate Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Because of its location and hours, I am a somewhat frequent patron. The place is attractive and comfortable and has a nice deck overlooking the Milwaukee River. Generally, the floor staff is quite good, but the bartenders often are too busy socializing to take your order. Some of the appetiziers are quite good, and the steak sandwich is (most of the time) very acceptable. Much of the rest of the food, however, is very ordinary. leaning on the bland, bar food. That would be fine, except that it tends to be priced a couple of dollars per entre more than you would expect for bar food of this quality.

No reason not to go here if your friends want to; however, there is no reason to go out of your way to go here. For comparison, the food at the Centennial in Mequon is significantly better with very comparable atmosphere.

Visited September 2011
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
“We're regulars...for a reason!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is our favorite hangout! We have dinner here at least once a month, and a couple of Saturdays each month we hang out with Sandy for a couple of beers and an appetizer or sandwich. On the dinner menu, the Pan Fried Walleye is outstanding; I can never seem to get past it on the menu when I want to try something else. The nachos are crazy good: there's more than two can finish! The dining room is warm and homey with knotty pine walls, floor and tables, and the grotto is too cool. They do a great job every time we go, and Sandy and Bruce are the best!

• Visited April 2011