“Duluth alternative” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Superior
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Duluth alternative”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We were looking for an alternative to staying in Duluth to save a little money. The room itself (siute) was very nice, tons of room, and a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. Downside was all the noise. The room was located right above the entrance and we could hear every time the front doors opened. Also we could hear the room next to us and noise from the hall. Wish they offered a free breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Dear SkiMom2010,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you liked our nice room and amenities as well as the quality of bedding. Pleased be advised that all Holiday Inn Express hotels provide complimentary continental breakfast to all our guests. I am disappointed that you missed our breakfast option. Kindly accept our sincere apologies about the noise. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Pros: Easy parking, clean rooms.
Expensive.
The pool was small, and overcrowded.
Loud...thumping music all night.
The bed was so uncomfortable, my kids slept on the hide-away, and I slept on the floor. I called the front desk to see if we could change rooms, but no luck. Frankly he sounded unsurprised by my complaint. The only possible fix, maybe he could scrounge an extra pad and I could tear the bed apart and remake it. At 11:00 pm. For $160 a night, I think a bed is a reasonable expectation. Even the pillows are a joke. I'm really, really, sorry I pre-paid online, or I would have packed up and left. Finally fell asleep at about two thirty, and was awake at five thirty, thanks to more blaring noise from neighbors, and the sun streaming through the shaded windows.
Worst hotel experience I have ever had, and very disappointed.
As I had a six hour drive home, we ended up skipping our day in Duluth, out " vacation" this year.

• Stayed August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Velma26,

Connie D
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

If you are visiting Duluth Minnesota, this motel is a great choice due to its proximity to Duluth, easy parking, and usually cheaper since Duluth is after the tourist's and convention events, and Superior gets the overflow. Clean, seems to be well kept, micro wave and mini fridge in our room, and a breakfast offered.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here one night on business trip. Staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and modern. Internet access was very good. Location was great. Breakfast was pretty average, as expected. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My sister and I went on a weekend getaway to Duluth, MN and stayed here because most hotels in Duluth were booked and this was a decent price and not too far away. The hotel was easy to find and was in a quick driving distance from Duluth. The hotel was clean, and the staff was friendly. The free wi-fi was great, since we were both college students that still had to log on, even while on vacation. The breakfast in the morning was fresh and filling. The rooms were comfortable and clean. I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Cost was a bit high but the rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate. We had several family members staying there and it did lack a place for all of us to just sit and talk. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
desell4
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is one of the oldest Holiday Inn's I have ever stayed at, but don't let that deter you from staying here. It carries with it a certain charm that reminds you of al old bed and breakfast.

The upsides would have to be the staff and morning breakfast. As for the staff, they were very helpful and cared about our needs. The breakfast area was very large and opened earlier than usual (5am) and stayed open after 10am. Being a late riser I can appreciate that. Our room did have a lake view but due to the fog their wasn't much to see. The room also included a microwave and fridge, standard for this chain.

The downsides of this hotel was the cleanliness, especially outside. Their were a lot of cigarette butts and other garbage near and around the entrance. As a smoker myself, I always try and pick up butts myself to make it look clean, but their were just too many to deal with. The location was also a bit off the beaten trail so to speak. It's right off of US 2 in the industrial part of Superior. Their wasn't really much to walk to. Perkins is the only walkable restaurant. The visitors center is across US 2 however, giving you the ability to walk trails and see the water. If you don't mind staying away from Duluth and traveling into it via car then their should be no issues staying here, but if you like being close to the action, this might not be the hotel for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear desell4,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding our hotel. It is truly encouraging to learn that our hotel staff, breakfast and room amenities were highly appreciated.

On the other hand, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the cleanliness of our exterior. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been taken into serious account and will be used towards our improvement.

Once again, thank you for staying and we look forward to another chance of hosting you again.

Faith R
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!