“Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Superior
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

If you are visiting Duluth Minnesota, this motel is a great choice due to its proximity to Duluth, easy parking, and usually cheaper since Duluth is after the tourist's and convention events, and Superior gets the overflow. Clean, seems to be well kept, micro wave and mini fridge in our room, and a breakfast offered.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here one night on business trip. Staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and modern. Internet access was very good. Location was great. Breakfast was pretty average, as expected. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My sister and I went on a weekend getaway to Duluth, MN and stayed here because most hotels in Duluth were booked and this was a decent price and not too far away. The hotel was easy to find and was in a quick driving distance from Duluth. The hotel was clean, and the staff was friendly. The free wi-fi was great, since we were both college students that still had to log on, even while on vacation. The breakfast in the morning was fresh and filling. The rooms were comfortable and clean. I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Cost was a bit high but the rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate. We had several family members staying there and it did lack a place for all of us to just sit and talk. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
desell4
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is one of the oldest Holiday Inn's I have ever stayed at, but don't let that deter you from staying here. It carries with it a certain charm that reminds you of al old bed and breakfast.

The upsides would have to be the staff and morning breakfast. As for the staff, they were very helpful and cared about our needs. The breakfast area was very large and opened earlier than usual (5am) and stayed open after 10am. Being a late riser I can appreciate that. Our room did have a lake view but due to the fog their wasn't much to see. The room also included a microwave and fridge, standard for this chain.

The downsides of this hotel was the cleanliness, especially outside. Their were a lot of cigarette butts and other garbage near and around the entrance. As a smoker myself, I always try and pick up butts myself to make it look clean, but their were just too many to deal with. The location was also a bit off the beaten trail so to speak. It's right off of US 2 in the industrial part of Superior. Their wasn't really much to walk to. Perkins is the only walkable restaurant. The visitors center is across US 2 however, giving you the ability to walk trails and see the water. If you don't mind staying away from Duluth and traveling into it via car then their should be no issues staying here, but if you like being close to the action, this might not be the hotel for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear desell4,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding our hotel. It is truly encouraging to learn that our hotel staff, breakfast and room amenities were highly appreciated.

On the other hand, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the cleanliness of our exterior. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been taken into serious account and will be used towards our improvement.

Once again, thank you for staying and we look forward to another chance of hosting you again.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shropshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We are Priority Club Platinum members, and consequently have stayed at many HIE, this one was most disappointing,
We stayed for 2 nights and our first surprise was to discover that two days before we were due to check in, that the same room we had booked direct with HIE, on a special deal way back in March was now $50 cheaper- fortunately we were able to cancel and rebook. However,wish we had just cancelled and booked elsewhere. Our second surprise was to discover that this HIE does not have a fridge in the standard rooms, this is most unusual and another disappointment for us. Surprisingly it did have two telephones, hey people a fridge would be so much more useful. The lighting in the room was very poor, one of the lampshades had been torn and stuck back togather with tape and paperclips, the only full length mirror was in the darkest part of the room, where there was no light. We did sleep reasonably well, the bed was comfortable, but there was a lot of noise from other (inconsiderate) guests. Following our first night we had breakfast, which was typical HIE fare and good, but the breakfast room which is very small, was full and many people waited quite a while to get a table. We felt very sorry for the young lady, in charge of breakfast, she did her best to keep up with demand and worked her butt off, in an impossible situation. At 10 am we went out for the day, we returned at 5.30 pm to discover that our room had not been serviced, We went to the desk to ask why, and were told that WE must have left the do not disturb sign on the door....WE HAD NOT, it was still in the room. We asked if we could have more toilet paper ( there was only half a roll on our arrival the day before), more towels and more coffee, this caused a major problem for the desk lady as she could not find them,she did eventually, but we were made to feel as if we were being difficult. Unusually for a HIE, we found most of the staff to be rather grumpy and not too friendly. One other point is, at this hotel, as at many others they ask you to reuse towels , but unlike other hotels there is NO-WHERE to hang them to dry, such as a towel rail in the bathroom. nowhere other than the shower rail. I think what I am saying, is that attention to detail is severely lacking at this hotel and management should take note. Despite being loyal priority Club members we will not be returning here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear stokersam,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback about your stay. I am pleased that our breakfast options were sufficient for your needs. However, we apologize that the noise challenges and level of service received negatively impacted your stay with us. The review we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Charisse V
Case Manager
IHGCare
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Okay, so I'm going to Duluth, MN to see the lake and drive up to the US Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, MN and I decide to stay at the HI across the bridge from Duluth in Superior, WI. After flying into Minneapolis from Atlanta I drive the 3 1/2 hours up to Duluth - never have been here before - and I decided for some quiet, I would stay at this hotel. I take a wrong turn off the bridge, going straight, instead of making the right onto US 53 South and I'm in the town that time forgot. I ask for directions and no one seems to believe that there is a HI in Superior - or any hotel for that matter, so I make a few guesses and keep driving. It is a depressing place, with most of the businesses boarded up - in sharp contrast to Duluth, which is a very happening place - and the people pretty much in a malaise. Finally, I hit the Lake and there it is - right across the street from the Lake. I check in and they didn't have a room ready and so I go and explore Duluth, which is no more than 10 minutes over the bridge. I see downtown Duluth, Canal Place and I revisit Bob Dylan's Highway 61, running along the lake. It's a nice town! So I come back and my room is still not ready, so I'm thinking maybe I'll can this hotel and splurge for the extra bucks and stay in Duluth. Just then the very hard working lady at the front desk tells me my room is ready - the lady who makes up the rooms is standing there and made it up for me as I waited and seemed to take a lot of pride in her job. The carpets in the lobby were worn and somewhat dirty looking, but I'll give them a little slack because it was a tough winter. Anyway, I get into my room and it is beautiful! Bottom line, it turned out to be a wonderful place to stay with wonderful staff, and while I would probably stay in downtown Duluth next time because of al the restaurants and things to do, this was a pretty good value.

Room Tip: Stay in an upper floor room. You can hear the kids running around on top of your room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!