“Clean & Inexpensive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Sun Prairie
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Clean & Inexpensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Small room and even smaller bathroom, but very clean and quality bedding; vintage four poster bed very comfortable. Food at supper club next door very good. Only reason not 5 stars is the bar noise we suffered from midnight - 2 a.m. on a Saturday night. An outdoor beer garden is not such a great idea in good weather with a motel right behind it.

Room Tip: Bring a fan or white noise machine if you pick a room on the outside next to the bar.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Ulm, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Kind of an old-fashioned Mom'n'Pop sort of motel, kept with obvious pride. Reasonable price. Pretty small room, internet didn't work well, but everything else was fine - clean, comfortable, friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The room was clean, but dated. The price was very reasonable. Check-in was quick and done by a very nice older lady. We were given two free drinks at the Club, but did not spend much time there. We were there only to sleep, so we did not use the free drink cards. It was too cold to spend time at the outdoor deck and the weather was damp. We had a second floor room facing the the parking lot. We did not experience any noise as others reported. It was very quiet. We had to leave our keys in the room, because the office was not open when we left in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

I spent five night's at McGovern's Motel, next door to their "supper club" that included a bar reminnicent of CHEERS, a big screen and an outdoor beer-garden. Sometimes they have live music outside. The food there is good & less expensive than local steakhouses.

The motel is a two story with a balcony, mostly brick and old-style paneling in the rooms with a tiled shower stall & no bath. Shared plumbing with the room next door means you need to be ready for sudden changes in water temperature. Reminded me of the motels I stayed in in the early 60's traveling with my parents.

But, with the Super 8 in town charging $80++ this was a bargain of business travel at $50, the people were very friendly, served coffee in the morning & gave us two drink coupons on check-in.

Not fancy, but I will stay there again if I'm not traveling with a family and just need a bed & place to catch dinner.

• Stayed October 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel will reveal who you are and that you stayed in their hotel. They will tell the bartenders and patrons at the restaurant /bar next door and even called my family members to inform them of stay there. Very shady people never had a more ridiculous experience in my life..Just thought you should now

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

My mom resides in a local nursing home and I visit her almost monthly from Texas to take care of her needs. Each visit cost about $1,000 with airfare, hotel, rental, food and miscellaneous items. I was looking to save some money on basic lodging so I stayed here as a result of other trip advisor reviews. My experience with similar to Karras but without the wonderful staff and lots of noise from the adjacent bar.

I called the week prior to make a reservation; staff took my credit card number but didn't give me a rate--they told me to call the next day. I called the day before my flight to confirm that a room was available and staff seemed to be annoyed that I asked this. When I checked in, checked out, or asked questions, the staff also seemed surly.

I was issued a second-floor room at the back of the property facing the parking lot, so I heard restaurant/bar noise, which ended about 2 am each night. People from the bar parked in the motel parking lot and often loited around talking, playing music, blaring car alarms until 3 am. I spoke to the staff about this and they said it was typical and there was nothing they could do (given the owners of the motel own the bar too).

The room is no-frills, though they have cable, a microwave, and a refrigerator, but no clocks, irons, or hair driers. The bathrooms are not made for larger guys; the shower stall is small and the width of the space where the commode is placed is 28" (from wall to wall). The room is cleaned on a daily basis.

The rate was good (about $51/day) but that's about the same rate as the Sun Prairie Super 8 motel and a few bucks less than the Magnuson Grand on the outskirts of Madison (if you prepay).

My feeling is that if you're a younger bar type of person, you'd love this motel (you can walk to the bar, get drunk, and go back to your room, all for a low price). But if you're not a bar person, not in shape, and need to stay more than a few nights, then McGovern's may not be for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I were traveling to Madison for New Years with her parents , I had already seen an add on their website for a New Years eve special. Wow this is a deal you cant beat !! After our meal we retired to our room which was VERY clean and neat. Ive stayed in other motel/hotels in the area that were twice the price and not nearly as clean as this was. The queen size bed was comfy and soft . The bathroom was on the small size , but worked fine for us...the tiling on the bathroom floor reminded me of the house I grew up in. Their bar / supper club across the parking lot serves great food ! we had the sirloin steak dinner...very tender. We will be back for sure...would love to try the suite next time for their Valentine's special. Thanks to the staff for making us feel welcome ! You guys have a good thing going...keep it up !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to McGovern's Motel and Suites? Share your experiences!