“Interesting B&B experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of White Lace Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
White Lace Inn
You added White Lace Inn to your Saves list
16 N. Fifth Ave., Door County, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
West Bend
“Interesting B&B experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I had received a gift certificate for the Inn. We picked one of the most expensive rooms available, Room B in the Washburn House. It was a wonderful two-room suite, with a very comfortable Queen Bed, double-sided fireplace, and large bathroom with 2 person whirlpool tub. Check-in was very easy, and overall the accommodations were nice. We did not spend much time in the main house, except for check-in and out and breakfast. Breakfast left something to be desired. We were shown a table along the wall, service was extremely slow, and I left breakfast being hungry. I understand serving only 1 item each day, but the portion was a bit on the small side. We actually stopped at a Gas Station on the way out of town for some snacks. While not liking to mention undesirable qualities, I feel the honesty in my reviews will help fellow travelers like my wife and I. We would probably not stay back at the Inn visiting Sturgeon Bay, and would look for another B&B to try instead with a better breakfast experience. Our room was fantastic, we both slept great, but the breakfast experience was extremely lacking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Horicon, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was our third time staying at this inn. And I have to say we were dissapointed. Stayed in the nicest room on the property. Room 17. The bed was so hard, we woke up each night about three a.m., so sore we could hardly move. Not a very pleasant experience on that end. We were looking forward to using the surround sound to watch a movie. Didn't work. My husband tried everything. Called the owner/innkeeper and explained the problem. We were told he'd be over within an hour to fix it. So we went to dinner and came back to watch. Still not fixed, he never came. Oh well. Mentioned it to owner at breakfast and he just shrugged and walked away! And what has happened to White Lace Inn's fantastic breakfast??? Used to be the breakfast I compared all other inn breakfasts to. What a joke. Now served on a six inch plate. You get a little cup of canned fruit coctail and a piece of casserole that has been reheated in a microwave. Barely warm. Yuk. There were other problems with the room, but I won't dwell on them. The grounds are lovely, and the cookies are still the best part of the stay. (That is if there are any in the jar. They dissapear fast and are not replenished often.) Don't think we will be going back. Place need updating in the rooms very badly. What a shame! This use to be our favorite B&B. Dennis is getting burned out I'm afraid!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is a delightful bed and breakfast Inn, which is made up of a main house and three adjacent houses. All nicely decorated in Victorian style, most rooms have whirlpool tubs and fireplaces. The Inn Keeper Dennis is very helpful and very passionate about being a business owner in the community. Breakfast is included in the stay - always awesome. There are home made cookies and Oreos, with coffee, hot chocolate and cider available in the afternoon. The grounds are meticulous with beautiful gardens. Great location to get to other points in Door County. Parking available within steps of the front door. Walking distance to shops and restaurants in Sturgeon Bay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed one night in Room 2 of the main house while passing through Sturgeon Bay on a Lake Michigan tour. Even though we arrived in the middle of the afternoon, no one was there to greet us. I'm not very familiar with how B&Bs operate since I've only stayed at them a handful of times, but I thought that at least someone would be there during regular "business" hours. There was a sign on the kitchen door informing us that we should call the owner's cell phone and so we did. He did make his way back to the house immediately, and we spent the few minutes wait perusing the helpful binder of local restaurant menus. When he arrived he was very welcoming and did help us with our bags up the stairs to our room. The room itself was very pleasant and comfortable. We had plenty of space and the sink being located outside of the bathroom made it easier when we were getting ready in the morning.

We had dinner in town and when we returned (around 9 pm) we found a whole group of guitarists playing in the living room. They were the owners' friends, and apparently gathered at the Inn every now and again for a jam session. This event had been on a flier on the inside of the Inn door, but no indication of it was on the website. The owner again greeted us when we walked through the door and expressed regret that we hadn't taken the opportunity to hang out with him and his guitar playing friends. Hubby and I are pretty shy around people we don't know, and the idea of hanging out with a large group of guitar-playing strangers was not exactly our cup of tea. I'm glad we are not the type to go to bed early, because it would have been very unpleasant to try to sleep while five guitars played in the main room below my bedroom. Again, I'm not very familiar with how B&Bs operate, so maybe this kind of thing is done?

We did not have a chance to stay for breakfast as we had to be in Milwaukee at an earlier hour to return our rental car, and the next morning we had a rather awkward encounter with the other owner, this time the wife. She greeted us with a smile and told us that our breakfast was almost ready - which confused us since we had specifically told the other owner the night before that we did not have time for breakfast, so please don't bother to make it for us. The other owner was clearly confused by me saying that I had only knocked on the kitchen door to return our room key. Since we had no previous repartee with her, our "check out" conversation was really awkward. Was I supposed to sign something? Get a copy of the bill? I had no idea! Eventually we accepted her offer of a to-go cup of coffee and got on the road.

Please understand that I am new to B&Bs, and so I don't know if this type of service is normal or not. The room really was great, and since I didn't have time for breakfast I can't comment on it. The parlor seems like a nice place to relax in the afternoons, and the house's proximity to downtown was a plus.

Room Tip: Room 2 at the main house is very nice!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Galena, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We have a favorite place in Door county we regularly stay, but decided to try something different with White Lace Inn. That was a mistake.

The room itself was very large and very clean, despite outdated decor I'd peg for the 1980's. The bed made for terrible sleeping. After a bit of investigation the following morning, we realized that there was no box spring and the mattress was supported with pieces of lumber haphazardly spread across the bed frame. The lack of even support resulted a lumpy-feeling bed and back pain for several days afterwards.

Throughout, the staff were slow to respond and rude. At breakfast we were told where to sit (table near a wall) in a room full of other empty tables (including some closer to a window) that were all set for a meal. We had told them ahead of time we were vegetarians, but were surprised to hear at check-in they were already preparing our breakfast (over 12 hours ahead of time??). The end result that following morning was a thin breakfast casserole that had been re-heated in a microwave, and it showed. Terrible. Some meals do take make-ahead prep time, but that does not mean they taste as good re-heated 12+ hours later. The juice tasted watered down, and my husband would not finish the coffee. The second morning, we left early and ate on the road.
We will not return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hortonville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I feel you should feel like you are welcomed into a friend's home when staying at a Bed and Breakfast. I did not feel that way at the White Lace Inn. The host was not welcoming and did not go out of his way to make us feel at home, especially at breakfast. I've had better reception at a motel continental breakfast. The room was comfortable and as advertised. Like others reviews have said the White Lace Inn is thriving on its past reputation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New Holstein, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were in the Walden house Suite B. Very unique. Lots of class. Bed comfy. Hottub very nice. Shower nice. Breakfast not alot of choice but addaquite. Told from 8 - 10am, but got there at 8 and waited at least 10 minutes. No coffee out to enjoy while waiting. Good stay even though it was windy and colder Tuesday nite. Only 2 other couples were there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to White Lace Inn? Share your experiences!