“Not a dive mom n pop or a cookie-cutter, very fun” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   30 North 1st Avenue, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Evansville, Wisconsin
“Not a dive mom n pop or a cookie-cutter, very fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed there. The decor was cool, some sort of art deco, some mid-century modern stuff. Modern bath fixtures. You can tell they poured a lot of work into this effort. The tile bathroom floors and walls were just like the lav's in my elementary school, which would have been similar vintage to this, so I just loved it.
Comfortable bed and HUGE pillows.
I read another review where the reviewer was wondering if the desk personnel could have helped them bring in their gear, and believe it or not the nice lady working the desk did just that, although I declined.
There are a few things that are left to do, although I am very detail-oriented; things like rusty door hinges on the bathrooms for example, but nothing really major. I commend their efforts and would definitely recommend this place to anyone!
Desk help was spot-on with her dinner recommendations as well, and very easy walk to nearby dining spots.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Rather well located : you have major restaurants within walking distance.
The motel looks very typical with the retro furniture : so, it was very nice.
People welcome you warmly and the service is ok.
The room we had was clean, nice and quiet. The A/C perfectly worked (that was a very hot summer).
Breakfast was a pleasant moment with the kids (2&6) : a surprise! You feel like home actually.
Well, the general atmosphere is cool and relax (you can play ukelele and guitar in the reception area!) and that was a very good time

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Stayed for three nights as a base on our first trip to Door County and believe I found a gem. In searching internet hoping for "tweener season" (between summer sun and fall foliage) vacancies, I found Holiday Hotel as one of the few with availability at very reasonable rates for two rooms. While not luxurious it was very comfortable and clean, a real value for the price. While the nearby "steel bridge" landmark was under construction and there were no music events scheduled during my visit, we found location to work well both as to walks to a variety of good restaurants and museums in Sturgeon Bay and easy day drives to all points of Door County. Nice new LCD TVs and free wifi in room, which is good since the only real "public space" is the small but funky fun breakfast nook (which served a minimal continental breakfast) and a half-lobby off check-in desk. One nitpick: no coffee machine in room, and had to wait until 7 am for coffee when breakfast nook opened. Still, a very fun place to stay given Fifties motif and friendly staff, and priced below other traditional motels of higher "star" ranking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
viroqua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Staff was friendly and helpful. My room was the best of 2 worlds:, 1950s desk, lamp, chair, curtains, picture on wall; modern bed and bathroom. Room had a frig, and there was a microwave I could use in the breakfast diner. My room window opened. Recylcing and trash containers in room and heat/air with modern thermostat. Downtown location meant I could walk to food and situated by the river gave me scenic setting, yet it was quiet at night. I liked best that the motel has a theme tastefully realized. It is not sterile. Its size is human scale. What I liked least? Hauling all my work stuff in! Hmm, could the desk clerk have helped?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Gosport, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We spent 2 nights at the Holiday Motel and was really surprised at how nice it was for the money. We just needed a place to sleep for the night and didnt need all the thrills and frills that come with the hotels and b&b's. This place is very clean. Nice staff. Traffic noise was to much to let us leave the window open. Glad we picked this motel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Green Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I were looking to "get away" for just a night, and everywhere else in Door County was booked! I came across this hotel on the back of a receipt, and I decided to check it out. The picture online weren't encouraging (it looked like it was 100 years old!), but the reviews were spectacular so we decided we'd give it a try (you can NOT beat the price in that area).

We were pleasantly surprised! My biggest fear with an older hotel was that it would smell awkward; that was not the case at all. It smells new, but has an older feel to the building (which makes sense). The employees are very friendly, the little diner is adorable, and it doesn't hurt that they have salt water taffy in the lobby. Plus, it's right across the street from Stone Harbor resort, so we headed over there for a drink! (Too bad we had already eaten, because their restaurant looks nice).

I will say that the walls are a bit thin, but not too distracting. Had a great time!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I found this place absolutely charming, although it may not be everybody's cup of tea. It was the first motel in Door County, established in 1952, and was recently bought by a bunch of musicians and friends and refurbished in 50s style. Not surprisingly, most of the patrons I saw were baby boomers (like me) saying "Oh, this is so cute! Oh, I remember these!" Loving restoration, although not completely faithful (i.e. they have flat screen TVs, not old Philcos, and mini-fridges). But lots of great light fixtures, furniture, drapery fabrics, etc. The room was very comfortable and functional. Good bed, pillowtop I think. Decently thick towels. Bathroom, with its retro sink, lacked surfaces to put stuff on. The continental breakfast was basic, nothing special. It's served in "the diner," a very cute but kind of cramped area where people were tripping over each other to get to the coffee and the toaster. Motel is a short walk from excellent restaurants. I found it amusing that it's right across the street from the modern, bland, luxurious gigantic hotel/conference center.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!