“Comfortable Beds and Lots of Character” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   30 North 1st Avenue, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235   |
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Sturgeon Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“Comfortable Beds and Lots of Character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel had such a cool theme to it with everything looking like it was from the 60s. It was very clean, smelled a little like fresh paint though. The beds were so comfortable and offered one of the best nights sleeps we got on our travels. It was within walking distance of the water, and close to some other local attractions. They got us into our room early.

The breakfast area is really cool! It was set up like a diner and had stools as well as a little fridge to hold drinks and cream cheese. One of the most unique hotels I have ever stayed in before, and I would happily return to it again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Elgin, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was a stretch for us. We typically stay only at national chains because I worry about what to expect. This was such a treat! I can't say enough about the hospitality and how cute this place is! The room was very clean and we loved the decor. It is right by the water so we walked to the bridge and watched the boats...we actually were in town for a concert in Fish Creek but ended up hanging around the hotel because they were so nice and accommodating. I would not hesitate to stay here at all. It was absolutely wonderful and we couldn't stop taking pictures of all the retro stuff!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place is a hidden treasure!! My wife and I stayed here and totally loved the experience! The decore was top notch and was as comfortable as being at home. The staff was very attentive and friendly. This is a place to put on your bucket list and enjoy over and over in your lifetime!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
st paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a sweet motel in a great location, right downtown Sturgeon Bay, almost on the waterfront, very central to all that the area offers. Our room was very clean, as was the entire motel, and we loved the retro decor throughout.
The staff was very friendly, pleasant and accomodating. We met sevl. other travelers and enjoyed pleasant chit-chat over breakfast in the motel's dining area both mornings of our stay. This is definitely NOT a fancy, luxury spot, but it is way nicer than a Super 8- - . Our room was roomy, v. clean and tidy, with a newer bed/mattress, comfy bed and linens, nice bath and shower. We opted for this spot vs. a Bed & Breakfast, (our typical plan), and we are glad for our choice! Overall, a great location, a neat and tidy room, at a very reasonable price; a very pleasant and cordial atmostphere, too- - We'd return here, for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the large corner room, on 2nd level- it was v. comfy and roomy, nice to have two windo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Ever had the experience of being around people who truly take pride in what they do? That's the best way I can think of to describe my stay at the Holiday Music Motel.

The manager and owner could not have been nicer. You can tell that they consider guests of the motel to be guests in their own home. For example, they spent all sorts of time chatting with me about my hometown, the history of their town and their hotel, and even introduced me to friends of theirs who had dropped by before heading out for the evening. I learned from our conversations that all of the (very, very cool) retro decor in the rooms and common areas was hand-selected by the manager, melaniejane. And while the furnishings are retro, the bedding is up to date and comfortable, the flat-screen tv has about 100 cable channels available, and the in-room refrigerator/freezer provides another modern amenity.

These folks are also fanatics about cleanliness. That room was immaculate! This was the first time in my extensive travels that I felt compelled to track down a hotel housekeeper to tell her how much I appreciated her obvious commitment to detail.

The continental breakfast was far better than what one would expect from a much more expensive hotel, with a wide variety of pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. (The donuts were great.)

I must confess that, when reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I had my doubts about this place being the #1 hotel in Door County. I have no doubt about it anymore. My only regret was that I stayed but one night. I had reserved a room across the bay at the Bridgeport for the two following nights, and while that room was bigger, it was not nearly as clean, not nearly as cool, and didn't have a fraction of the charm or friendliness. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday next time you are in Door County!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Holiday Music Motel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
THANK YOU so much for your kind review!! We are so happy when others enjoy The Holiday as much as we do!!!! and, THANK YOU for your kind recognition of our stellar housekeeping staff!!! We are so fortunate that they are as caring and diligent as they are. They are truly the unsung heroes of The Holiday so it's wonderful their praises ARE sung! We are a "music" motel, afterall. :)

While I would LOVE to be able to take credit for choosing all of the retro decor, I feel it important to clarify: there is a lot of original furniture from 1952 here (the Simmons furniture in all of the rooms, the diner and a few other items that are part of the original Holiday in 1952 and THANKFULLY have been well cared for over the years by all of the previous owners.... even surviving a fire in 2007!) The loving restoration and updates were done after the fire with great care by pat mAcdonald (Creative Director), Anna Sacks and Christie Weber. The three of them were the core that really made the decisions as to the newer lighting fixtures, lobby furniture, front desk, beds and bedding, paint choices, etc. Other things have made their way here over time but most of what you see was lovingly (and thankfully) chosen by them or was already part of the original set-up. In addition to being the Creative Director overseeing all of the music happenings here at the motel, pAt continues to be the aesthetic arbiter and works hard to create an environment here that is special and engaging with modern comforts while holding true to its mid-century roots.

Being the on-site manager I sometimes get too much credit for what others have done so I really try to make sure that credit is given where credit is due. I didn't come into this project until later and I thank my lucky stars to be a part of it now and to be able to work so closely with pAt to help carry on the established tradition and creative vision!!!

Once again, THANK YOU for your glowing review and for your shared love of The Holiday!
We look forward to having stay with again in the future!!!!

melaniejane
Stockton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I had a great trip to Door County. We stayed one night at the Holiday Music Motel and it was great. The Motel was in a great location to down town shops, bars and restraunts. The Motel staff was very friendly staff. The rooms were clean, affordable and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Anoka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nice clean rooms, great a/c, nice continental breakfast with an old diner countertop, really neat.
Wonderful location by the Steel Bridge, very nice staff. Our families first time there, and it was a great beginning for our stay in Sturgeon Bay. We would definitely go back... :):)

Room Tip: Altough, there isn't a pool or fitness center. This lil hotel has it's niche. We found ver...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!