“Great place, great service & great value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
“Great place, great service & great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I took a quick two day visit to the area and chose this motel based on the reviews and the price. Let's just say we were extremely impressed! The staff is great, the rooms are clean, cozy and we loved the fun decor. Great value and definitely a place we plan to visit again.

Room Tip: Nice option if you want to take your dog along.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We took an interest in the motel because of the novelty mix of music and a place to stay. Then, with the high reviews, we decided we needed to give it a try, and we were not disappointed.

Very clean and well maintained. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. And retro did not mean worn-out. Lots of original furniture, but all appeared to be in good repair. Even enjoyed relaxing by picking up and playing a couple instruments sitting in the lounge area. The continental breakfast was good and sufficient. And the quaint dining area became a social hub.

For a small local operation, they have reached far beyond the local community. it looks like they found a way to make it all come together, and we hope to have an opportunity to return again.

Thank you!!

• Stayed February 2012
Beach Park, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We just got back from a really wonderful weekend at the motel with our friends. When our friends found the motel's website, it sounded like an intriguing place for a getaway. We found the motel to be an excellent value in so many ways. The rooms were exceptionally clean: imagine WHITE comforters and coverlets that are washed after each guest (no dark, patterned bedspreads that have not been washed since who knows when.) The bed was comfortable, and the furnishings were fun. We enjoyed the continental breakfast each morning at the breakfast bar, and we had fun talking with the other guests. The staff was very helpful, and they could not have been nicer. Thanks, Melanie!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was looking for a inexpensive place to stay to get away from all the chaos at home for a couple days and stumbled upon this gem! At only $39 in the off-season, it was exactly what I needed! Cute room, view of the steel bridge, windows that actually open to get fresh air, VERY comfortable bed, super clean...walked around barefoot no problem. Brought my laptop and played Pandora all weekend since there is free wi-fi. Perfect get away!

Room Tip: I was in 229 which has a coffee maker. Very nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Machesney Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I went to Sturgeon Bay on a one-night business trip, arriving on 1/15/12. In the past I have used Priceline with mixed results - so I thought I'd go the "take what they want to sell it to yah for" approach. I selected this motel for the price and the reviews, and was definitely not disappointed.

I was welcomed to the area with a 10 minute wait at a drawbridge, waiting for a 60-year old, 767' Cason J. Callaway ship to pass thru. I'm glad I took the time to take a few photos of the grand steamer. Just beyond this bridge I turned onto the road leading to the Holiday, which right across the street was a rather grand hotel that overlooked the bay. And within a block was a gas station with a grocery section, so picking up food necessities would be easy if needed.

Ah, the Holiday sure didn't look like much... Locals I talked to about where I was staying gave me a wary eye like I was there working for an aged profession, and were surprised to hear that so many visitors rated the passive-looking motel so well.

After registering with a very nice receptionist, who could have been the owner for all I know, I lugged my duffel bag past a quaint soda-bar looking dining area and down a very nice hallway with custom-made glass wall sconces. Still using an actual key and not a swipe card, the door was labeled clearly with which way the key was to be turned. My room was incredibly clean, much more so than many places I have stayed. (And I've had some awesome rooms in the Chicago area.) The bathroom was nicely outfitted with a wall-mounted (and full) soap dispenser, as well as a wall-mounted soap, shampoo and conditioner dispenser in the shower. No little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. (Dang, I can't add to my collection!) Ah, and more labels clearly explaining things like how the tub spigot worked and how to activate the shower.

The room had a wall-mounted thermostat and appeared to have its own heating/cooling system above the bathroom, which was quieter than the ones I've seen mounted near the window. And bonus, if the noise of the neighbors bothered you, there were several packages of Howard Leight ear plugs in the nightstand drawer.

Outfitted in very retro fashion, the art-deco desk, nightstand, chair and other furniture were pretty neat, and definitely not something I would pick out for my home. :p But, it fit the theme of the motel and I appreciated all its uniqueness.

What I liked most was the comfort of the bed. A little squishy for some reviewers, it had 4 pillows - two soft and two firm, and an extra blanket available in the closet. Plus I had the luxury of an LCD TV mounted mid-way on the wall right at the foot of the bed, which had a wide variety of channels from the local cable carrier. I'm just glad they didn't have some console TV with a wired remote. (Wait, I'd have to watch b&w too if they kept with the theme, right?)

In the morning the kitchen area was fully stocked with several types of cereals, oatmeal, raisins, several different types of fruit, various bakery goods, coffee, and a fridge with milk, half & half (thankfully none of that powder creamer crap!) and juice. While I had originally planned on visiting a local restaurant for breakfast, I decided to go with my normal daily meal of Cheerios and a banana while I cruised the Internet on their free wireless.

They didn't recycle in the '50s, did they? Kudos to the Holiday for providing recycle bins in each room. I recycle at home, and being able to on the road eases my conscience.

Checking out was easy - "here's my key", or you can drop it into a box. They have cool shirts for sale too. The v-neck women's version was a must-purchase.

If I ever come back up into the area for work or pleasure, I will definitely stay here again. This time I'll leave my shampoo and conditioner at home. :) My only complaint would be that the in-room fridge was a bit loud, but I unplugged it about mid-way through my night's rest. Problem solved.

Room Tip: I stayed in 126, which was a nice room. I don't have any recommendations.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is a lovingly maintained,stylish, comfortable place to stay. The location is perfect, the staff is exceptionally friendly, and the place is super comfortable. After staying here a few nights I know that whenever I'm in town, this is my place! What they lack in frills-(this is a vintage property) they more than make up in service.

Fish Creek, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

After spending the last 2+ months touring around the lovely state of Wisconsin and staying in a range of corporate hotels, I have to say that the Holiday Music Motel stands apart. The creative folks that own the venerable Holiday did a fantastic job on its restoration, giving it a groovy 50's retro vibe. The color palette and furnishings are funky and fun. (Someone needs to shoot a low-budget film noir here, and soon.) The wonderful little "diner" on the first floor has continental breakfast until noon. And you can't beat that classic neon sign.

Owned by musical folk, it's a favorite haunt for traveling and local musicians, and the lobby is filled with a bunch of instruments if you're inspired to spontaneously jam to celebrate the end of your journey. It is also friendly to those of a nocturnal lifestyle, in that a 2 PM checkout is just fine, as long as they aren't so busy they have to have the room.

As for location, the Holiday is in a super-convenient spot to enjoy downtown Sturgeon Bay entirely on foot. It's so great to leave your car in the lot and just start ambling around Third Ave, Jefferson St, and be sure to stroll across the Steel Bridge, which owes its continued existence in no small part to the good folks who own the Holiday Music Motel.

The entire staff is friendly and helpful. This place is clearly a labor of love, run by real people, genuinely glad to have you there. It's unbelievably refreshing, and amazing to think how recently this was the norm. The place, simply put, has soul.

So if Sturgeon Bay is on your way, make your stay a Holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have their own ground level entrance, as the motel is set into a small hil...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!