“Service is BAD...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Madison, Wisconsin
“Service is BAD...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

OMG, I am so glad we ran out the door before ordering. We arrived at around 11:30 am and there were dirty tables every where. We picked the window seat and sat a good 10 min. before we were even greeted and handed menus. I had to ask the server to wipe down our table and when she came back, the rag she used was torn up and looked dirty.....She sprayed the rag with this spray bottle and sprayed it all over both my husband and I. We looked at each other and said "We're outta here".... The attitude of both servers was that they didn't even want to be there...They both moved around like turtles...Service is BAD....Which is too bad, cause I bet that place could really do well if their food is as good as everyone else say it is.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sherri B, Manager at Mels Place, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
It sounds like you came in just after our morning rush of hungry satisfied customers. The wait staff do all of their own bussing and work very hard to turn the tables as quickly as possible. I hope that you will give us another try at a different time, because as much as I wish we were slammed all day every day, there are times that work better if you want to have the restaurant more to yourselves. Our food is loved by many and I am sure you will not be disappointed when you come back. Thank you for sharing your experience as we learn from every correspondence. Have a great day.

Portland, Oregon
“Great breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Really nice people, really yummy food. They give a lot of it but not to make up for poor quality. Great prices too!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sherri B, General Manager at Mels Place, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words. I do not like anyone to leave hungry and take pride in filling up my plates. In this tuff economy, we know money is hard to come by.We take every measure possible to be keep our prices low. We want everyone to come enjoy a meal with us at Mel's. Hope you visit us again and bring your friends and family.
Warren, Michigan
“Food great - service not so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had the stuffed french toast that was super big and very good. Surprising for just a hole in the wall diner. Went about 10:30am. Our waiter was much to be desired. We had to keep asking for refills on coffee and took forever to get the check. Go for the food and don't expect greatness from the service.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for the compliments on the stuffed french toast. That is definately a customer favorite. We go to great lengths to make sure our quaint and cozy resturaunt is clean, comfortable, and inviting. Our quality of service is extremely important to us and we would like to apoligize for your experience during your last visit. . We would love to have you visit us again and would like to offer you a complimentary bowl of soup. I make my soups from scratch and they rarely disapoint!
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Mels is a little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Finding a place that is frequented by the locals is always a good sign. Mels is that place. I don't see how Sherri (one person) is able to cook all of the good dishes that she does and they are terrific. Located in downtown Sturgeon Bay off the beaten track. Very friendly service also.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sherri B, General Manager at Mels Place, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you so much. I truly have alot of other people backing me up, without them it couldnt be done. My mom taught me how to cook "homestyle" but actually a chef at Harbor Fish Market and Grille taught me more than anyone. Her name is Kara Walker. I have been watching her some time and she is really good at what she does. But thank you so much for acknowledging everyones hard work at Mels place.
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't go around 11:00am”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I read all the positive reviews so wanted to try Mel's on our first trip to Sturgeon Bay. I wasn't as pleased as the others who left glowing reviews. We arrived a few minutes after 11:00am and the first thing the waitress tells is that they don't serve pancakes or hash browns after 11. Ok, a little disappointed because the website said they served breakfast all day and didn't mention this detail, and I have a picky 4 year old who wanted pancakes. So we begin to order and I order a grilled cheese for the picky 4 year old and the waitress says she isn't sure if we can order that because it comes with fries and the fryer may not be warmed up yet. What?!?! I asked her to check because if we couldn't order that we'd have to leave because there was nothing else my 4 year old would eat. She came back and said we could order it. Again, what!?!?! I have never experienced anything like this and I eat out a lot. The food was just ok. It was not worth the stress and confusion of the very strange rules and menu changes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sherri B, General Manager at Mels Place, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
YIKES!!!! So sorry about the confusion. After reading your post I spoke with my staff and actually implemented some changes. We will serve EVERYTHING on the Kids menu, all day long. The eye opener (Two pancakes,two bacon and three eggs) is also going to run all day. Unfortunately due to size of our kitchen and menu, hashbrowns will remain unavailable after eleven. This is our only way to bring lunch in at a reasonable time. We are still a fairly new restaurant and are always working on the"kinks" in order to serve our customers better. Please accept our apology by calling the restaurant and letting us send you a Gift certificate for your next trip to Mels place. Thank you again for posting and sharing your experience.