“A true Door County Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 77 Restaurants in Sturgeon Bay
Cuisines: American, Bistro, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Located in downtown Sturgeon Bay on Historic Third Avenue in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin. Choose to dine at the bar, at a bistro table along the sidewalk or relax on a cushioned chair in the cozy wood floor dining room. Large photos focusing on the history of Sturgeon Bay pepper the restaurant. The new chef has a strong bent on creativity and local sourcing. His philosophy for features is "Familiar enough to be comfortable but exotic enough to be exciting." The focus is on local and fresh (organic features, and appetizers, in season) is apparent, and when blended with the passion of the staff, it is becoming a foodie destination. We will work with any and all dietary restrictions or food allergies. Ask about "Chefs Choice" options. Call for reservations or a chef consultation for that special occasion.
“A true Door County Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a must if you are headed to Door County. The food is amazing, the service is outstanding. Our server, Lisa, even brought out warm plates for us on a cold night! Wonderful atmosphere! The front of house manager Brenda was so helpful and friendly, and we even got to spend time with the head chef, TJ! Wonderful experience. Will be back soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Loveland, Colorado
“Godd food, well prepatred”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were given a gift certificate so tried out the restaurant. Right from the salads, everything was done up right. Deb had a gluten free pasta for her main course and the noodles were done perfectly and the dish had plenty of flavor. I had the chili which was different than the typical chili but very tasty. The service was good and I would go there again.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“The special was outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in John Martin's because Dal Santo's is relocating down the street. I must say I am VERY Impressed. I chose the special - a cod loin with basil & brocoli risotto and its probably the best meal I've had this year. The risotto was to die for.the service was great and John stopped by the table to ask how I liked it. I will definitely be back. Highly recommended.

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“With just a few small changes, it could be really nice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The best thing about John Martin's was the food. We started with squash ravioli. I had pork tenderloin, hubby had the meatloaf. All was yummy with special touches. Raspberry cream brûlée was perfect. The atmosphere was lacking. It was so "cold". Could have easily been warmed up by adding tablecloths, plants,etc. The worse part was that the owner (persumably) just sat at the bar the whole evening eating & drinking and just watching the diners. Never came to the table or spoke to anyone other than another guy sitting at the bar. It was kind of strange. We might go back for the food, but would probably try another place.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wausau, Wisconsin
“NYE treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended here for dinner. Thankfully I called and made reservations a few days prior because it was busy on NYE. The atmosphere was cute and we were seated right away. I ordered the filet and my boyfriend had the surf and turf. The filet was around $25 and the special was around $30. They were two of the more expensive items but were worth the money. Both of our meals were excellent and our apple crisp desert was awesome too. I would recommend for a special night out. The only complaint i have is that the menu could have more options. Overall it was a good experience and I would come back!