“37th wedding anniversary dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Middleton, Wisconsin
“37th wedding anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My husband and I arrived a bit late for our reservation, due to an unexpected flash flood warning, but, Nancy (co-owner) was waiting for us with a smile and assurance that our being late was not a problem at all. We had wonderful meals. I actually had the crab cakes as my entree, which were delicious, and a side salad with crisp, fresh greens. My husband had the pork schnitzel, which was also delicious. We were given the choice of a dessert, compliments of the house since we were celebrating our anniversary! We chose the chocolate volcano cake, which was just the right finish to a wonderful dinner! Both owners spent time talking with us, and sharing some history about their choice to move to Stoughton. Lovely evening!

• Visited May 2014

Madison, Wisconsin
“Elegance and sophistication in a charming small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We don't often get to Stoughton and so looked for a well reviewed place for lunch. We picked Big Sky based on previous reviews, and were blown away by the charm of this restaurant! Elegant but relaxed atmosphere, good wine list, and imaginative luncheon choices. The salmon sandwich was huge and perfectly cooked, topped with a bit of veggie relish. The salad was fresh and dressed with a home-made vinaigrette. They also have the most delicious (apparently house-made) potato chips! Two slices of melon completed the dish.

I wish we lived closer and could try dinner here. I'll bet it's fantastic!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
stoughton, wi
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first time at Big Sky. Since my wife is from the Big Sky country (Montana), this seemed like a good idea plus we saw the reviews.
The service was some of the best we have had. I have an onion allergy so the chef came out to talk to me about what they could do for me. After eating my salmon and noodles with a side of two shrimp and some very good vegetables, I suggested they add this to the menu! It is rare that I can find a salad dressing without onion or onion salt in it, but the vinegar and oil was fine. Most places I skip the salad if that is the only choice.
The place is small without a lot of seating so I recommend making reservations. Also, if going to the theater across the street it would be a good idea to make 5:15 reservations for a 7:00 show.

• Visited March 2014
Stoughton, Wisconsin
“Crab cakes with avocado .........love!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Waiting with open arms for an upscale, big city style restaurant to arrive in Stoughton and with Big Sky and the wonderful owners/hosts we were not disappointed. I also want to rave about the scallops! Service is quite nice and the owners do their best to come out and great the diners when time permits. Often sourcing local ingredients combined with the small kitchen occasionally leads to the more popular entrees selling out. Menu changes to reflect the seasonal nature of the local produce.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Simply a great stop for a lunch in an interesting town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled into the Big Sky and were waited upon by the co-owner, Nancy. The food was delicious - both of us had the "Chop Chop" salad, a chicken, avocado, and bacon concoction that was outstanding. The chicken was locally sourced, perfectly prepared and moist - not dry like most salad ingredients one usually finds. This was a truly outstanding meal. While you are there, check out Stoughton - a friendly town with a Nordic history. Nancy directed us to the Opera House, which is a restored attraction of great prominence. The whole town is charming, and this was one great place to eat.

Visited October 2013