“Good rates, dated property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Stevens Point
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Good rates, dated property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for a Special Olympics event. The place was packed. We came with a group of five. That being said, check-in time was actually reasonable considering there were lines seemingly stretching out the front door.

We had to walk through the pool area, which was warm and humid, to get to our rooms. I was worried about noise from the pool but it actually wasn't horrible compared to other places I've stayed.

The room was a bit drab and the furnishings dated. There was an odd odor too, maybe lingering smoke from when smoking rooms existed years ago. Everything worked though.

There was a restaurant attached, which we didn't go (we had a lot to do in a short amount of time). A gas station was within walking distance which did come in handy.

I can't see us staying here again as we later visited a different hotel for an associated event conference. That hotel hands-down was cleaner and newer than the Econo Lodge. If you're looking for a place to stay on a tight budget, this may be your place. Our only reason for staying was because the hotel hosted our event. I'd gladly pay the extra money for a better room. We didn't have any problems here but it certainly didn't impress in any way.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Beulah, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here July 2012 for 3 nights. I made reservations in September of 2011. Got to our suite, the AC did not work, gave them a chance to fix it, came back several hours later, still no AC, it was 85 in the room! The temps outside were in the 90's. We asked for another room. MEETA (a woman at the desk)) was exceptionally rude, yelling at me and her co-workers who were trying to help me. She told me I didn't understand AC, that it could take hours and hours to cool down, and that I couldn't have another room. I did finally get another room, not a suite, but they would only refund me $20! (Unfortunately there was a huge car show in town and not another room to be found, I checked while the AC was supposedly being fixed). Anyway, aside from Meeta being extremely unprofessional and very rude to both myself and her coworkers, my experience doesn't end there. The next morning, we turned on the faucet to make coffee, and the first minute was brown nasty water dripping out. Not very inviting to be sure! So we went to the gas station and bought coffee. Went to our car show and came back to a supposedly cleaned room, well, I think all they did was turn up the blankets on the bed, because we had no towels, no cups, no soap, and the sink was still dirty as I had dumped out our left over coffee before we left. Yuck, right? We tried to get some towels at the pool, there were none there. We tried to call guest services at least 20 times, the phone just gave us a busy signal. We tried to call the hotel manager and over the course of 3 days all we ever got was voice mail. I finally went to the desk and asked for towels, they said some would be delivered...of course they never came. This place is poorly run, improperly staffed, and the desk staff is unbelieveably rude. During the time we were there we also heard others complaining about the rude staff and poor housekeeping. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for a soccer tournament. Overbooked and had to turn away guests that had rooms reserved in the block, AFTER checking them into a room that was already occupied. I never saw housekeeping anywhere in the hotel, thank goodness I was only there for one night. Ran out of towels, ice machines STILL not working. Pool area was very humid. We will return to Stevens Point for the tournament next year but we will not be staying here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Our basketball team stayed here this past weekend. First they overbooked and admitted it so some of our group had to try and find accomodations somewhere else, even though they had reservations. They were very short staffed. Most rooms were not cleaned after first night. Asked for clean towels and told they had none, if we wanted to wash our own that was okay. Our room had paint splattered carpet, a toilet that seemed to be on week floor boards, the towel rack was hanging and the shower floor creaked very bad. None of the ice machines worked. Had issues with wash machine and it took a long time to get help with that. Pool side rooms were very humid and warm. Internet connection only worked best in lobby. My daughter witnessed a front desk clerk yelling at a guest and her son. Continental breakfast was okay but they ran out of a lot of stuff early on. In the morning the front desk person was working the desk, trying to keep breakfast stocked, folding towels, etc and all the manager could do was yell at her for not emptying the garbage fast enough. There were 5-6 basketball teams staying here, plus a wedding and they were not prepared to handle it.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel. Accomodations are much better.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Algoma, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This hotel is absolutely terrible. We stayed here this weekend for a basketball tournament with a block of about fifteen. Of the fifteen rooms in our group, four of them were not clean upon our check in. The beds were unmade and there was garbage left from previous guests in the room. The sheets in our room, which appeared to have been "cleaned", were stained and disgusting. One of the "clean" towels which had been given to us had blood stains on it. The rooms were humid and smelled musty. The rooms were all in need of some serious updating - paint chips, mildew stains, etc. We did not receive a microwave or a fridge. There was no maid service given to any rooms in our group. Only one of the three ice machines in a hotel worked the entire time we were there, and the working one only produced ice about half of the time. Additionally, because we were in town for the tournament, our room, which consisted of two rock hard beds and a tv which got awful reception, costed $100 for the night. Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge at the end of January. I was a solo female traveler and spent 3 nights. I was able to check into the room early which was nice. The hotel room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I had a room right by the pool area and wasn't bothered by the noise. The heat lamp in the bathroom didn't work which was a bummer. The outside flood light was shining right on my window, luckily I can sleep through anything. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bangor, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Great service,clean rooms, nice pool area,really good resturant conected. That about sums it up, a very pleasant stay for very little money. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I don't know what happened to the people that wrote the negative reviews, my experience was totally different. I am putting this hotel on my preferred list.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Stevens Point? Share your experiences!