“Quick service. Above averge food.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Menomonie, Wisconsin
“Quick service. Above averge food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Service was good. Food was average...not disappointed, but not wowed either.

Visited June 2012

Stevens Point
“Sushi yummi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Amazing...we LOVE this place! Our favorite place to go and we are never disappointed. Highly recommend Matsu Ya.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Decent, but not sure what the rave is all about...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

So to start off - I'm half Japanese. My mother is Japanese and has cooked a lot of Japanese food in the home while I was growing up. I have been exposed to a LOT of Japanese food throughout my life (obviously), especially many of the items served on the menu, so maybe my review is not as positive as others because of my background.

First off, the restaurant is overall a good place to eat. If you are in the Stevens Point area and are looking for some "Japanese" food or "sushi", then I would suggest you eat here. I put both Japanese and sushi in quotes because, obviously, the food served at Matsuya is not exactly authentic. Overall, the food is fairly decent and yes, I still continue to eat here. I have yet to have a bad experience and will continue to eat here with friends until I have a bad experience.

The sushi is..Americanized, like many other sushi places in the U.S. You can't really call it "authentic" or "traditional" food because in all honesty, real Japanese sushi doesn't consist of it being deep-fried, covered in spicy mayo, or special eel sauce. Real Japanese sushi is really just the small ball/pad of rice with a slice of fish on top, which they do serve, but the rolls and special rolls are not real sushi. However, living in the U.S., that is how ethnic food will always exist - in an Americanized form. They do have the real sushi, and the selection is not too bad, considering that the restaurant is in central Wisconsin. I would say that the sushi is average - there really isn't anything amazing or special about it. I think many people tend to like their sushi because the "fishiness" is all covered up by sauces.

Moving on to some of the other menu items...The seaweed salad is actually very good. It has good flavor and it very close to real Japanese seaweed salad. Many of their entrees are served with a side salad and soup. The side salad is really average - it's just regular ice berg lettuce with some sort of ginger (and maybe some cream??) dressing on top. The dressing is pretty good and have a nice, yet not overwhelming flavor. The soups are really quite average - just typical (and seemingly instant) miso and "clear" soup (we call it suimono in Japanese).

I tired both the tempura udon and nabeyaki udon. I was very, very disappointed in the tempura. It is not even close to real tempura. I'm pretty certain their use regular American-style deep frying batter for the breading. The breading was very thick, greasy, and heavy - not even close to Japanese tempura. The udon was also average - the noodles were good, but the soup base was too sweet and the color was much darker than normal udon soup, making me think they used a lot of flavored soy sauce. The nabeyaki udon was fairly food, but again, the soup base was too sweet and dark. The seafood in the nabeyaki could use some more variety.

Another entree menu item I've eaten is the oyako donburi. Overall, it had pretty good flavor and filling. They used a lot of dark chicken meat in the oyako don, which a bit disappointing. Personally, the sauce was a little sweeter than what I would have liked, but the donburi still had decent flavor with the chicken, egg, and vegetables.

All in all, if you are a first-timer to Japanese cuisine, Matsuya is a good place to start. The flavors definitely have Japanese influence, but the ingredients and methods of some of their dishes could use a little revamping. The atmosphere is pretty good, and the servers have always been pleasant. But seriously, you will not find an "authentic" or "traditional" Japanese restaurant in Wisconsin (especially central WI), so please don't consider Matsuya "traditional" in any way. Just like the Chinese, Mexican, or Italian served in the area (or in the U.S. in general), the food can never be considered authentic or traditional because the restaurants are catering to the people around them.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wautoma, WI
“Best. Sushi. EVER.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I call it "sushi on steroids" because the rolls are big and garbbed up with sauces and condiments that I love! If you are looking for very "pure, traditional" sushi, then maybe you want to keep looking. (even though they do offer simpler rolls as well.) This sushi is better than sushi I've had in Chicago. Ever since eating here I've been disappointed whenever we go for sushi anywhere else! My favorite roll is the TNT roll and then the Godzilla Roll.They also offer monthly special "themed" rolls. Plus, if you have eaten a special that you really like and it isn't on the menu when you come back, they will make it for you no questions asked. I can't say enough about this place. They've acutally just added on to the restaurant as well to accommodate for seating. Very good sign, huh? Like I said before .... best. sushi.EVER!!!!!!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“not even a sushi lover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

loved it and I'm not even a sushi lover- will definitely go again.

Visited October 2011