“Best Bakery” 5 of 5 stars

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
“Best Bakery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have never had anything but a wonderful experience at the Door County Bakery. They have a wonderful line of breads, an outstanding wine selection and a deli that fills all my European cravings. They even have a coffee cup museum and a bed & breakfast onsite!

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Surly Baker”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I couldn't agree more with the disappointment expressed in an earlier review of Door County Bakery. After hearing Spike O'Dell rave about the place, I thought it would be another wonderful, quaint, friendly place in my favorite spot on earth, Door County. Instead, the baker herself is a surly, unsmiling person who immediately deflates any sense of anticipation or joy in the room. The place opens later than any bakery I know, and when I went there for fresh baked goods at 9 am, they said they didn't start baking until later. I was stunned, since the whole point of going to a bakery instead of a grocery store is to get fresh baked goods, first-thing in the morning - especially in a country setting like DC. Not here. Never again. Overpriced, unpleasant, and not very bakery-like.