“If you like prime rib or perch at good prices, this is your place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sister Bay Bowl

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 26 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Family Fare
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Sister Bay Bowl is a family-owned, family-friendly landmark offering great food, friendly service, ample portions, full bar and just happens to have a six lane bowling alley. "Da Bowl" is located on the hill in heart of Sister Bay.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“If you like prime rib or perch at good prices, this is your place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is an old fashioned dining spot with a bar and 4 lane bowling alley under the same roof. No, you don't hear the bowling from the dining room! and the atmosphere is not that of sweaty socks and recycled shoes. The servers are some of the best in Door County. The food is always very good at very good pricing. Where else can you get excellent prime rib complete with freshly baked bread, salad, and potato for under $20? My husband loves the perch. There are nightly specials where your favorites, like prime rib, are lower in price than normal. Do yourself a favor, try this place. They've been in business 48 years. I've been going there for about 23 years and have never been disappointed.

Visited July 2012

Port Townsend, WA
“Bowling is the Side Business!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

It's easier to find the pool tables at Sister Bay Bowl than it is the few bowling lanes, and the bar and separated restaurant dominate the building. Finding a high-quality restaurant with moderate prices in Sister Bay during the height of the tourist season is most worthwhile. Our good friend, a local, says it is where the locals go year-round. We had good fried and grilled fish, fine "Broasted" chicken and good sides at no additional price..

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MENASHA
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Had the Wed fish special. Very good and lots for the value.

Visited July 2012
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Best Perch in Door County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have been going to "The Bowl" for more than 20 years for perch.
Is a great family place, and my kids now request it each time we are here.
We have discovered that they also have excellent whitefish.
Is a great step back in time to visit the Sister Bay Bowl.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cincinnati, ohio
“Better Press Than Performance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Where ever I travel I always quiz the locals about "where do you go?" for whatever it is I'm seeking. This tends to keep me away from the high-priced tourist traps and reveals some fantastic off-the-grid places. Every restaurant in Wisconsin does a fish fry on Friday night, generally serving perch, walleye, or whitefish, but also cod, pollock, or some other shipped-in seafood for the less discriminating eater. When the wife and I checked into the motel on Friday for a long Door County weekend, the first question asked was who offered the biggest portion of perch on Friday night. The concensus winner was the Sister Bay Bowl(www.sisterbaybowl.com).
The Sister Bay Bowl sits on the corner of Maple and SR42 at the bottom of the hill coming into Sister Bay. Originally a hotel, in the mid-50's the dance hall at the rear was converted into a bowling alley and it's 6 lanes are still in use to this day. In the front of the building is the barroom and the dining room separated by a folding divider. Out front is a porch with umbrella tables and chairs overlooking "downtown" Sister Bay. Parking is available along the side and on the street.
We walked in through the side door and the place was ROCKIN'!! A party was goin' on right here!! Packed to the gills with people, loud and noisey, we were able to get a couple seats at the bar. It took a few minutes to figure out there was a hostess at the front door taking names and get signed up. "How long," I asked? "Bout an hour," she said. I've never waited an hour to get seated in a restaurant in my life but the prospect of fresh perch pursuaded me, so we settled in at the bar eventually striking up a conversation with a very pleasant couple from Chicago that ate up the wait. This is a very social place and if you're not into socializing your wait is really going to drag. Eventually, we got a table for dinner.
SBB bills itself as "a classic American supper club". If you look at the menu, it indeed offers the selection of a typical Wisconsin supper club, however, if you've ever eaten at a Wisconsin supper club or seen Ron Faiola's documentary to those Wisconsin institutions like the Carlin Club Lodge, the Dreamland, or the Buckhorn, you realize quickly that the Bowl looks more like a Southern diner than the rich dark wood and upholstered furniture of a true supper club.
Never having been here before, we weren't ready to order the first time the waitress came by and it was an excessively long time before her return. I, of course, ordered the perch and my wife a ribeye. My wife had questions about the salad dressings available and two other issues. The impression with which I was left was of a woman in too big a hurry to handle questions from a couple of first time customers. Not a good first impression.
Then we waited, and waited, and waited - better than a half hour. By then, we had consumed their signature house-made bread which is superb. Looking around at nearby tables, virtually every table had one or more orders of perch but when tables that had been seated after us began getting their meals and we still were waiting, a head of steam began to build. At the ten minute mark, my eyes started looking for a manager. Fortunately, she showed up with our dinner just as I started to get up to go complain.
I don't think I've ever seen a more pathetic looking portion of fish. The breading was soggy, the temperature tepid. Either that fish sat on a steamtable too long before plating, or the order's been sitting in the window too long - probably, the latter. The tartar sauce, house-made, was quite good, however.
My wife was quite pleased with the steak and my sample verified her opinion.
For a place so highly touted, and by more than one source, the perch here was a sad, sad disappointment, as was the waitress' efforts on our behalf, although other aspects of the place were as good as any local watering hole in this fair country.
Will we be back? Probably not. Two days later, at a different restaurant, I again had perch. This time, for three dollars more, the fish was near perfect.

• Visited June 2012