“Love the Swedish Meatballs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Description: change Primary photo from ownerphoto edit
“Love the Swedish Meatballs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went with friends on a beautiful Fri morning. Had to wait 30 min to be seated but that beat their estimation of 45. Everyone enjoyed their meal except my friend, who has the roast beef hash. Her complaint..mostly burnt. The waiter offered to bring another entree but she declined. He comped her meal. The rest of us had a common denominator and that was the Swedish meatballs. Very tasty and filling.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Loved the Swedish Pancakes! And, of course, the goats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were told by everyone to go to Al Johnson's to see the goats. After looking at their menu online I decided it would be a destination point for us during our trip. And, am glad I did. The goats were a lot of fun to watch and between them and the store helped make our wait time seem short. I LOVED the Swedish pancakes. The lingonberry sauce is terrific and I wish I had grabbed some to take home. My husband ordered the Swedish meatballs and was equally as impressed with them. Prices were pretty on par with any other casual restaurant. Was a great stop.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, wi
“I go solely for the Swedish pancakes, and keep coming back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I don't care about the goats on the roof or the Swedish trinkets or the servers all wearing Swedish attire; I go solely for their Swedish pancakes with lingonberries and a good cup of coffee and I keep coming back year after year. It is super popular so be prepared to wait. It is so popular that they could easily charge more or add on another dining room to pack more people in. But they don't. They keep doing what they do well.

Visited October 2013
Colorado
“More than just goats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good fried walleye, yum. Fries good too that come with the basket. They bring you a big basket of bread and crackers and the lingonberry jam (described as a cross between cranberries and currants) and all quite tasty. Warm atmosphere, extensive gift shop and culturally worth a browse. Reasonable prices. Friendly wait staff. Food came out fast. We very much enjoyed, would go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sparland
“Unique place, good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stopped here while touring Door County for the fall colors. Although the décor (and music) hasn't changed for decades, they still have good food and friendly staff.

We arrived before 5:00 PM so we had no problem being seated in the main dining room with a good view. Waitperson was very nice (tried not to make any judgments by the tattoos on her arms), but she was very friendly, attentive and answered our questions about the menu. My wife ordered a salad while I opted for the tomato basil soup. Her salad was so-so, and my soup was lukewarm, but the bread, ligionberry (sp?) preserves and assortment of crackers to spread them on was very tasty. Wife ordered a filet steak while I had 2 pork chops. Main course was excellent, done to order and very good flavor. No room for dessert and the price was reasonable.

If you're a first timer to Door County, at least stop by and take in the view of the goats grazing on the sod roof of the restaurant. If you've eaten there before, it really hasn't changed in the last 30+ years.

• 3 of 5 stars Food