“Overnight Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Harbor Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   725 Blue Harbor Drive, Sheboygan, WI 53081   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aurora, IL
“Overnight Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here 9/14/12. This place was beautiful! Check in was smooth, the lobby is very nice. We stayed in room 145 (on the first floor facing the lake). We also asked for early check in and had the room set up. We could not have asked for more. The room was spacious and clean. Fireplace and hot tub were very nice. The bed was very comfortable and sleep was good. We went to the water park which isnt large compared to others but I still thought it was fun for an afternoon.
We walked along the lakefront and down the pier (which the pier had quite a pungent odor the further out you got). Also strange was that there were many people fishing on the pier all morning but no one had caght a fish yet you can see the fish swimming right there. Wrong bait perhaps- haha.
Some T/A reviewers noted that it was hard to get beach access and that they had to walk or crawl over rocks. Sure there are some rocky parts but if they had just walked down to the other end of the hotel there was easy beach access with no rocks present.
We ate at Latitude for dinner and it was pretty good. We each ate the Filet and had the crab cake appetizer, drank a bottle of wine and a cocktail. Good Coctails.
We also enjoyed an hour massage at the Spa. Although it was expensive it was very nice and just what was needed for relaxation.
Throughout our stay we continually sat on the adirondack chairs that faced the lake. It was so relaxing. They also put the chairs out around the fire pit and at night it was nice to sit by the fire. There were some kids there and they shared ghost stories which was fun but the one thing that was cheesy was that the hotel offered free marsh mallows but then wanted to charge $0.50 for a smore. For a nice place like this I cant believe that they would nickel and dime for a smore; especially after they go through the trouble to set up the chairs, fire wood, and marsh mallows. What are they going to make off the smores? $5-$10 dollars?

Also odd was that we used our credit/debit card for the reservation. Since we did this we were informed that we could not charge any services (dinner, spa or breakfast) to our room and that they had to be paid separately. This is a very odd practice and for a nice place like this it should not be an issue (especailly since its never been an issue anywhere we have traveled- even out of the country). This strange practice also prevailed itself during breakfast. We ate at the buffet and then when done it took a long time for the bill. When we finally got the bill the waitress just said thanks and walked away. I looked at the bill and it had writing on there as if I should just charge it to the room but instead of using the room # they wanted the reservation #. What the heck was the reservation #?. I didnt see our waitress for a while and then had to ask another waitress what the deal was with this bill and if I should pay or charge it to the room? That waitress then explained to me their process and of course since we used our "debit" card we couldnt charge to the room. I couldnt have charges to the room anyway because I had no idea what our reservation # was. Finally our original waitress came back and we paid for the bill- using my debit card. It was a strange service for there being 3 waitresses and only 5 active tables (and it was a buffet).

One other item of note was that in the morning around 8:30AM they started construction on the rooms above us. We were never informed this was going to happen but when we contacted management, Amanda from the Front Desk came down and apologized to us. They did stop the ruckuss until our check out. She also comped our breakfast and provided a free coffee from the lobby.

With exception of a few things not being properly explained to us we really enjoyed our stay. We will definitely return here as we had a wonderful time. The Resort itself was very relaxing and just what we had expected from photos and reviews. I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I am so sorry we started making noise too early! Bad mistake on our part. We really didn't expect it to create a problem. We are very glad though that you enjoyed the property and I found your comments to be very constructive. I agree with you that it's ridiculous to charge 50 cents for a smore'. We will change that. As for the debit card issue, I will talk to our desk staff. We have recently just upgraded our systems so that your room key can be swiped and guests no longer have to carry the resort charge cards around. Thank you again for staying with us and the things you enjoyed are exactly what we are trying to emphasize!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful large resort right on Lake Michigan. The Lake View Rooms are worth it.
We had what they call a "Family Suite" which is actually one very large room with two queen beds and a sofa sleeper. Pretty good deal during the week. The whole resort is beautiful with a nice
spa for massage services. Don't bother with their premier restaurant, Latitude. Poorly prepared food ( a nice walleye was overcooked and served dry by their so-called "world-class" chefs).
Once the weekend arrives all bets are off and the place becomes loaded with screaming kids. We were there in Sept so maybe this kid-thing extends during the week during summertime as well. Many of the rooms have bunk beds so you know the resort is angling for kids to use their indoor water park which is a healthy-fee extra!
A couple of "oddities". There is no "bell-man" service so you are on your own lugging luggage.
Also, they do not offer room service - kind of irregular for a resort. The other restaurant, Beacon, unfortunately likes to stick to the buffet with no menu service (except they tell me Mon to Thurs - but one Thurs morning they only offered the buffet). I hate warmed over buffet food for $12.95.

Room Tip: Get a Family King or Queen with Lakeside View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry you were disturbed by children running around and also that we overcooked your walleye. I hope you will let me know when you can come back and your next order is on me! It is normally one of our best items. In regards to the bell staff comments, we are adding bell service beginning next year. I would also love to order room service, but frankly we struggle with how to deliver it to the villas. It's so far to some of them i don't think we could maintain a great product. We did consider not offering it in the villas and only in the main hotel but after talking to some villa guests this season I didn't get good feedback on that approach. I do appreciate your comments and we will strategize with our food and beverage team to figure out a solution.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful time last weekend.We rented the 4 bedroom villa which has the lake view. We just had two things to say.The villa had a cigarette smoke smell when we checked-in,we are quite sensitive to it because none in our family don't smoke at all.Secondly,we didn't had a parking spot right infront of our rented Villa.It would be nice that they can assign even one parking spot for a specific villa #.We had to walk longer/further with all our kitchen/food supplies to the villa.The place is really beautiful..good for reunions and family gatherings..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry the prior guests must have smoked in the villa. You raise an excellent point about assigning parking spots. We're glad you had such a wonderful time. It's makes our day when we see smiling faces and get comments like yours. Please say hi when you come back! We greatly appreciate your business!
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was me and my husband frist time here what a beautiful resort we stayed in a king suite The room was clean comfortable and spacious we have a city view and it was beautiful I love to people watch on the balcony we also walked the pier at night we ate at the Beacon the food was great but the service was more then excellent everyone at this resort was so nice We also had a few drink at On the Rock the guy who took good care of us at on the rock was so very friendly he make us a special drink that was so good my husband is still talking about it I am so sorry i can not think of his name walking the beach in the morning and in the evening was wonderful we alway go to the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva but not any more now that we find Blue Harbor even through it is three hour away it worth the drive This was a wonderful three days we did not want to go home Thank To the Fantastic Staff At Blue Harbor for a wonderful time see you soon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I apologize for not responding to your comments sooner! I thought I had done so, but in reviewing our comments realized I had not. It is so great to hear from guests like you that discover our resort and Sheboygan as a new alternative for a great place to visit. The city has worked very hard to renovate the downtown and South Pier area and our owners have invested heavily in the property. Putting smiles on faces like yours is why we do it! Thank you so much.
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was soooo looking forward to our stay at this resort. We'd booked a 2-bedroom villa with another couple and I thought the place just looked too good to be true on the web site. It kind of was. There was just something about the place (the waiter in one of the restaurants in town told was that the complex was built on a land fill...which kind of ruined it for me and I'm not even one of those uber-organic types.) When we checked in to our first floor unit, there was a party who was occupying our porch area even thought they actually belonged on their own balcony above. When we walked up, one of the rubes looked at us and said, "Oh, looky here. We have new neighbors. We ran the last bunch off". Charming. Did not put me in a "luxury" state of mind even though it was certainly not the hotel's fault. Villa was just "okay". Bare box spring hanging out with no bedskirt (or other); dark spots (I hesitate to call them "mold") on the grout in the shower; and a big, honkin' power plant on the near horizon. (Somehow they missed that on those windswept, sand-duned web site.) We did not like it and we would not go back.

Room Tip: I think our experience might have been better if we'd stayed in the actual "hotel" rat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry about the villa bedding and housekeeping issues. We are replacing the bedding package in the villas. We obviously missed inspecting your villa before arrival. You're right, there is a power plant to the south of us, but hopefully you will give us another chance and enjoy the rest of the view. Please let me know if you would come back- I will make your reservation for you and can be contacted at info@blueharborresort.com
Thank you!
Racine, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic Labor day vacation with my family,we stayed in the family suite with a fireplace and veiw...on the 2nd floor!! The room was very clean,spacious,comfortable and relaxing...and the veiw was amazing.Loved waking up to the sounds of the lake and watching the sunrise with my son. The hotel it self is gorgeous...I can see why people get married there. We want to renew our vows there.There is so much to do,they have story time with a bonfire,face painting for a small fee,the beach is just a short walk away.They have an outside pool with a bar and of coarse the water park.The water park was perfect.. we all loved it.Even though it was labor day weekend and the hotel was booked we never felt crowded.We ate at Beacon for the breakfast and dinner buffet.The food was really good but the services on both days was very very slow!!! Everyone was very nice and friendly-except for the blonde haired lady at the starbucks coffee/snack bar...she was very snappy!! Besides the poor food service and the snappy lady we had a wonderful time.I called and asked for extra towels,pillows and shampoo. Less then 5 mins and housekeeping was there.We would of loved to stay forever ,my son was so sad when we had to go butwhen we told him we would come back again he was happy with that. This was truely a great experience and we look forward to going back soon!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We would love to help you renew your vows here! If you will email me at info@blueharborresort.com I will be happy to have our staff arrange this. I'm glad your son didn't want to leave! I have the same problem when my grandkids visit! Your comments about Labor Day weekend are also appreciated. You are so right- there are often more than a thousand people here, but with the design of the resort, it's very easy to find quiet areas to relax. We've updated our menu in The Beacon to make it easier to get food out faster due to comments like yours. Thank you so much for staying with us!
Watertown, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our group consisted of US(EARLY 50's), children ( in early 30'S), grandchildren (ages 2-7), step children.(ages 18-20) We were very comfortable in a loft room and family room.Beautiful Hotel! Comfortable beds and nice furnishings. It very nice to have a good sized refrigerator. We celebrated 8 birthdays this month :) The Waterpark kept all of us busy. We appreciate areas for all different ages. I especially liked life jackets for all my grandchildren to use - less items to pack! I have to say all your staff we met or passed in the hallways were so friendly. very refreshing that your staff know the meaning of being professional. I know some of those staff worked long shifts as I saw them arrive and depart for the day. We appreciate their good attitudes :)

Room Tip: Our City view room was very quiet - we never heard anyone int he hallway. Call the desk if you have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wow! It is so great to see families get together and that we can play a part in groups like yours having a great getaway. I am very pleased to see you notice the friendliness of our staff and recognize that many of them work long hours to make sure our guests enjoy themselves. As a grandparent myself i know how great it is to getaway with your children and grandchildren! Thank you again for your comments and we will post them in our employee area so they see first hand there efforts are noticed!

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!