“Tasty Ribs, Annoying Service” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 143 Restaurants in Sheboygan
Cuisines: Steakhouse
“Tasty Ribs, Annoying Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stopped at the Texas Roadhouse on my way back to Chicago. This was my second visit. Upon entering a gaggle of high school/college girls greeted me cheerily at the door. As I was walked to my seat, the hostess chatted me up with questions like, "Do you come here often?" and "Isn't the weather beautiful" and "How is your day today?" with feigned enthusiasm. As I sat in my booth, I watched and listened as the hostesses practiced the same plastic greeting to everyone who entered.

Immediately upon being seated, I was given a bucket of peanuts and a basket of rolls (the kind you buy frozen and bake) and sweet butter. I had the half slab of ribs, which were fall off the bone tender, buttered corn (which I expected would be on the cob but was basically dressed up canned corn) and the mashed potatoes and gravy. The food was good. But I find people trying so hard to seem happy somehow phony and annoying. Maybe other people like that kind of thing in servers but it detracted from my experience.

• Visited July 2014

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
“Disgusting bathroom,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Everything else was great prime rib!
for $20 service (Gilly) was great manager came to check on us,
Bathroom was more than just untidy it has not been cleaned in a long time and was pretty bad.

Wi
“Good steaks but has gone downhill a bit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

On our last visit, my daughter and I ordered salmon and husband ordered steak. The steak had to be sent back to cook a little bit longer. This isn't a huge deal for us and it was excellent as usual when it came back out. Daughter's salmon was good but mine was not even close to being done. Salmon not being cooked through seems to be a common problem here as it happens too many times to me. I was hesitant to order it but did anyway. Back to the kitchen it went and it was cooked through when brought back to the table. I will no longer order the salmon. I was surprised that we were not offered any free appetizer coupon from the manager when the food was brought back to us. I've always been given a free appetizer coupon before when this happens. We never use them but it's the gesture that is appreciated.

The last few visits I've also noticed that some waitstaff is more busy sitting and chatting with friends than taking care of customers.

We'll continue to go but should we continue to encounter uncooked food and unattentive waitstaff we'll stop going. It's too bad because they really do have excellent steaks.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“Won't go back anytime soon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

1/2 full restaurant on a Wednesday night. Seated us with a child that needed a high-chair in high traffic area by bar when there were plenty of outlying areas clear. First waitress took order, never came back, later a waiter (Gilbert) came back to "replace" other one, no reason given. Brought drinks, but no water as requested. Waited about 45 minutes for salad and appetizer combo. Never checked on meal after served. Waited another 15-20 minutes after finished eating for bill. Plenty of staff there, just apparently all incompetent. Not atypical from other times eating there. Probably the last time will eat there.

• Visited June 2014
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Terrible! Don't waste your money!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We are forgiving people and punished ourselves more than once. Out of a total of six visits we had one fairly good experience. Won't go back again.

• Visited November 2013