“Harbor Winds Great Value, Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Harbor Winds
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 South Eighth Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Harbor Winds Great Value, Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a utilitarian kind of hotel, nothing fancy, however, the rooms are big and comfy, they have a nice easy chair in each one, a view of the river, free breakfast in a nice breakfast room overlooking the river and for this price, it's great to be right on the board walk a few feet from the Weather Center Cafe, a few blocks from the Charcoal Inn (great burgers wrapped in paper and dripping with butter) and a short, pleasant walk to the beach in front of the massive Blue Harbor resort. I've been coming to Harbor Winds for five years with a friend and it's perfectly situated, a surprising amount of things to do nearby, quiet, friendly and a great value. I almost didn't want to write this - I want to keep it for myself. $79 in the off - season, you can't beat it.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, and come just before the rates go up which is I think in april or May. Off Se...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your very nice review. We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel over the past five years. We are in the process of updating our rooms and our goal is to make your next visit even more comfortable and enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently stayed, me and my Mom at this wonderful hotel for 7 days and 6 nights. They are located on the River and the views were wonderful. They have the most helpful and friendly staff I have come across in many years. The hotel was very clean and the beds were the most comfy beds I have slept in at a hotel. The towels were big and fluffy, which you do not find that in most places I have stayed. I would stay here again and recommend if your visiting Sheboygan, Wisconsin to stay here.

Kim Upfold an Valli Francis

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor facing the water, the view is great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am very pleased that we made your visit so special. We enjoyed having you here and we hope that on any return visit that we will be able to enhance your experience even more. Thank you for your kind remarks and have a great holiday season.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Harbor Winds a week ago. Over all, they stay wasn't bad. Our room was clean and the free breakfast bar in the AM was nice - nothing fancy - but nice. The only issue we encountered was a stairwell that smelled like someone had gotten sick there. We didn't see any attempt to clean the carpet. They did put some type of electric odor eliminator there, but it didn't due much. Stanley Steamer probably could have eliminated the problem. This stairwell was also packed with large plastic bags full of laundrey for most of our stay. The staff was nice, but not overly friendly. Easy to walk to stores and restaurants. Great little hot dog stand right across the street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments. I do apologize in regards to the stairwell issue. I went over the steps taken to correct the issue with my staff and they immediately did what was required to eliminate the smell. We did find the source of the smell and the entire hallway was cleaned. As we are a small hotel we do have to send our laundry out to be cleaned. It is picked up throughout the day and when we are busy it is a continuous process to make sure that the hallway stays clear.
We do appreciate your business and your comments and I assure you that any improvements that we can make to improve the guest experience will always be our first priority.
Rochester, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed there 2 nights, when we got to our room a vacuum was sitting in front of there door, and when we entered you could tell it was not vacuumed. When we looked at the sheets one of the beds had a soiled spot about 6 inches big and wide, so when we talked to housekeeping she told us that it didn't look used so they don't change it. Our ac unit didn't work on a 83 degree day and front desk did nothing! Our door didn't lock so anyone could walk in, they did fix that. Our fridge didn't work and they did nothing. When they cleaned the room they did not change the sheets as they state they change daily! Don't walk around bare foot your feet turn black! The breakfast was great! When checking out I had walked past a room that was being cleaned, and the house keeper was talking on her cellphone on speaker phone swearing up a storm!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay. We do listen to our guests and use your comments to improve in all areas of the hotel.
In regards to the room issues I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We did have maintenance come and fix the door issue. They also checked the AC unit and the refrigerator which seemed to be in working order and I believed the issues to be resolved. The housekeeper comments were investigated and I assure you that we do make sure to change the bedding when the guest requests it. There are special cards in each room that are placed on the beds when the guest would like their linens changed and the housekeepers are required to do so.
As I stated in the beginning your comments are important and we do our best to make sure that if your stay is less than exceptional that we immediately address any issues. I do hope that when you return to the area that you will allow us to provide you with the exceptional guest experience that you deserve.
Northern Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stopped at this quaint hotel without a reservation and were fortunate that there was a cancellation. The clerk was fun and friendly and very accomodating. The room was nice, breakfast was delicious, the location was wonderful. Right on the river with a boardwalk that led to many restaurants very close by. And the rates were Resonable. Sheboygan was a nice experience all around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We were very pleased that we could accomodate you and that your experience was pleasant. We do have a great location and there is so much more to offer you. I hope that the next time you would like to get away that you will choose to return to the area and allow us to accomodate you again.
Princeton, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a charter fishing trip booked for the next day. Dumper Dan's recommended this hotel. Stay away from the ice machine, room 203 and any room close. It runs all night and was more than I had patience for. Room was clean and a good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HWHotel, Manager at Harbor Winds, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your response. We do appreciate hearing from our valued guests. I apologize that your stay was not 100% satisfactory as we do try to make sure that your comfort is our first priority. When you return for your next fishing charter or just for leisure, please make sure to ask for the manager and we will be able to place you in a more suitable location in the hotel. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a block of rooms set aside for a family wedding. We arrived, expecting five rooms and only two were being held. It appeared that either the hotel booked 'over' three of us siblings with the same last name, or chose to sell our rooms to a much higher paying group as the Osh Kosh air show was also in town. Our reservation slip at check-in had my wife's name, my brother's address and my sister-in-laws phone number. All other hotel rooms in town were sold out. The front desk worker, who was very apologetic, shared that he only worked a day or two a week and didn't have any knowledge of the reservation issues. Upon checkout, the same front desk worker told us that he spoke with the manager and that she would not make any accommodation to our rate, to compensate for the disastrous outcome. I would try another hotel in the area before coming back to the Harbor Winds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harbor Winds? Share your experiences!