“what a disaster - terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Manata Lodge

Save Saved
You added Manata Lodge to your Saves list
Manata Lodge
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   111A Tuckers Beach Road, Lower Shotover 9371, New Zealand   |
wellington
“what a disaster - terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

book to stay at this place for 5 nights. Arrived at 2.00pm to be told by part owner "katie" room not ready we were shown around and asked to come back around 4.00pm noting her commend that she remembered me making the booking. Arrive back after 4.00pm to be met by Andrew her business partner to be told we don,t have a booking -"you better find somewere else to stay". After an animated discussion he agreed that he needed to find somewhere else for us to stay and met any additional costs.
talk about a mickey mouse outfit. would obviously never recommend or every contemplate staying at this place. we stayed at Ponanui resort on the frankston road going into queenstown - great accomadation and service certainly recommended - try that and forget Manata Lodge!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ManataLodge, Owner at Manata Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2011
This gentleman arrived with his partner after I had been briefed that Katie had made an error and not entered his details into our booking system, nor sent him a confirmation. I mentioned to him that he should have a confirmation of his booking that is standard with any hotel booking. As it was clearly an itintial error by Katie, I offered to assist him on two levels. 1 to find him alternative accommodation and 2 to meet the cost of the difference in price out of my own pocket, which amounted to $150NZD.

I explained to him that we were fully booked, partly because we had opened up the lodge to those affected by the horrific Christchurch Earthquake, where we offered those affected free accommodation.

I was taken aback when he said that he didn't care. And then further when he, and his partner started verbally abusing me using the most colourful of language. Contrary to his review, he still wanted to stay mentioning he'd rather be with the devil you know than the one you don't.

Although we did have some availability for some of the nights he was supposed to stay, there was no way I was accommodating such an abusive person. In the end I was more than happy to send him elsewhere and pay for it out of my own pocket.

I'm surprised he left a review. He obviously has no qualms about being so rude and selfish.

Thankfully people like this are in the minority and we continue to welcome wonderful people to our little slice of paradise.

- Phillip. Owner, Manata Lodge

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Manata Lodge was the perfect place to unwind and re-organize during my busy vacation. It is a lovely retreat from the bustle of Queenstown, yet close enough to town to enjoy all the good food and activities it has to offer. Manata is also conveniently situated to the surrounding mountains, rivers, and lakes, with great hiking opportunities and the plethora of adventure activities also available in the area. Phillip is extremely knowledgable and helpful in recommending great hiking and site-seeing not only in the Queenstown area, but throughout New Zealand. Great service and hospitality! I felt very comfortable and at-home there. Very clean, organized, well-stocked, and tastefully decorated. Beautiful location, and the views of the mountains from the lodge itself are quite impressive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband & I spent 5 days at the Manata Lodge. The hosts, Katie and Phillip were a pleasure. Phillip made breakfast for us every morning. Location is 5-10 minutes from the airport and about 5 - 10 minutes from Queenstown. The setting was lovely and couldn't have asked for better accommodations. Would love to go back. Queenstown is lovely, people friendly.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I stayed in the smallest of the "apartments" in this boutique B&B just outside Queenstown. It was fabulous. I had a little kitchen area, a huge bathroom and a beautiful bedroom. (The other apartments which I managed to have a quick look at were also stunning; fantastic for a family holiday or romantic break.)

The studio apartment was lovely; really well finished with great attention to detail. Katie, the host, went well out of her way to make sure my every need was catered for and the provisions supplied, such as tea, coffee and breakfast were of the highest quality. Sometimes you feel you are paying a high price for accommodation and don't receive commensurate quality but here everything is of the highest quality. The gardens around the property are stunning too and you could probably spend a week sitting in the gardens looking at the stunning mountain views.

I can't recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Lancashire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

After searching for somewhere nice to stay around Queenstown I found Manata Lodge, a few miles out of town overlooking the mountains. What a fantastic place, beautiful location, lovely room with good quality furnishings and accessories, nice gardens with fruit, flowers and vines, a special place to be. We stayed 5 nights here, part of a 6 week adventure. We were well looked after by the hosts Phil & Katie who organised a BBQ for us with the other guests which was great. Freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurts and fresh bread each morning - delicious! Phil, a New Zealander has excellent knowledge and will organise absolutely anything you may wish to do around Queenstown and beyond. This place is a real retreat and I would highly recommend a stay here in Summer (ideally located for adventures or walking and the Gibbston wine valley virtually on the doorstep) or Winter (excellent skiing fields within 20 min drive).
Our stay could not have been better and our friends have booked to stay in January after our recommendation.

Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I decided to book three days in this lodge to have a break from staying in a camper whilst on a 3 week holiday in New Zealand. This proved to be a wonderful decision. We were welcomed to Manata Lodge like long lost family. Each room whilst close to each other has private views and entrances. The breakfasts supplied by Katie were magnificent and topped up as needed. For a secluded private weekend or even longer.. Manata Lodge is the answer. The gardens are simply beautiful, well maintained and spacious. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Located in a residential neighborhood very close to the airport, this was the perfect spot for us. Convenient to Queenstown (15-min), Arrowtown (10-min) and Gibbston Valley wineries (15-min). Wonderfully quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Manata Lodge? Share your experiences!