“Italian Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Polk,Wi
“Italian Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Have always had a positive dining experience at Messina's. Service has always been wonderful, the atmosphere (i.e.decor) reminds us of Italy and their food is of exceptional quality. A little off the beaten track for us but we do go out of the way for the great Italian experience. And, of course, when we're in the area, we always stop.

• Visited July 2013

West Bend, Wisconsin
“Intimate slice of Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had a lovely dinner at Messina's last Friday evening. This restaurant was recommended by friends. The atmosphere is very quaint. The main dining room is decorated with a beautiful mural. Add candlelight, great Italian food and outstanding service and you have an intimate meal to remember! My husband enjoyed lobster ravioli with jumbo shrimp. I had pasta bolognese. Both were excellent and we have enough of each for leftovers at home. We will be back!

• Visited October 2013
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Long ride for a mediocre experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We traveled from Waukesha to Saukville, in pouring rain, to try this place, based upon relatively positive reviews. Sounded like a family run business (which we love) with good Italian food.

We thought they were open until 9pm but when we arrived we noted that they only served until 8:30pm. The ride out there took us longer because of the storms we were driving through (we had planned on being there at 7:30pm) so we found ourselves there closer to closing time than we normally like to be.

Our server was very friendly. The restaurant was clean and the décor was very simple, almost austere. They had the music at a very acceptable level and it was Italian themed, always a plus. We were offered drinks as soon as we were seated-no time to scan the wine list, no recommendations, she just waited for us to tell her. When she brought our drinks out she asked if we wanted to order, we said just the appetizer first-the rice ball.

Tom's Bloody Mary was bland and very uninspired. I had a glass of Riesling. The two drinks were $13.00 so not sure how much each was. The rice ball appetizer was very good and had a nice presentation. When she delivered the appetizer, she wanted our order, so we ordered. We were already feeling rushed. Here of course had the Bloody Mary been good and had we not felt rushed, we would have had another drink.

Both of our dinners came with soup or salad and we both had soup. The soup was good, a creamy cheesy chicken soup. I had the special, the Gnocchi Primavera and Tom the Pasta Bolognese. She told me it had chicken, which it did not. There also were no pine nuts as the Primavera notes on the menu. Tom enjoyed his meal. I found the Gnocchi stuffed with mushroom had a very overwhelming flavor which I really didn't enjoy. I think I would rather have had the Pasta Primavera. The olive oil they served to dip the bread in was Awesome though-very crisp, fresh tasting and fruity. I asked who made it but she said the large containers they had did not identify the maker. Tom found the little butter packets were very hard-his pet peeve.

The menu does not list a wide variety of dessert. Our server told us there wasn't a big choice this particular evening. She did say what they had were home made. Mmmm, home made cannoli, I'm in on that. When she returned she said the cannoli were not home made. The French silk pie and the Tiramisu were made onsite she said, but neither appealed to us. As it was, the restaurant was just about empty and clearly they were all gearing up to get the heck out of there.

So for us, with many really nice family run Italian restaurants close by, there is no compelling reason to venture out to this place. Actually we probably would not return even if were closer. The bill was $58.00, plus a $12.00 tip, so the cost wasn't out of line, there just was nothing spectacular or special about our experience. As a matter of fact it was a big let down.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Port Washington, Wisconsin
“They DELIVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I love Messinas! Believe it or not I've only dined in there once in three years but we order delivery from there at least twice a week.... A hidden surprise that YES they deliver every night of the week. And yes the food is just as tasty delivered to your front door! Just had the cod fish fry, the fried shrimp and some broasted chicken on Friday night and tonight we ordered burgers and yes, more broasted chicken. The food is amazing, the prices are great and the fact that they deliver makes it that much better! Yummy!

West Bend, Wisconsin
“Delicious food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

After hearing rave reviews from family members, my boyfriend and I made our first trip to Messina for dinner last night. The food was wonderful -- I had the portabella stuffed gnocci with red cream sauce and he ordered the nightly special, a chicken dish similar to chicken marsala, with spaetzle. His chicken was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and my gnocci was very flavorful (especially the sauce). For dessert, we split the tiramasu, which was delightful. We will definitely return again, but there were a few things we found disappointing...first, the parking lot was treacherous! It was completely covered with ice. Next, the flourescent light tubes above the mural do not add much ambiance -- next time I'll try to get a table on the other side of the room which has more subdued sconce lights. Last, we were disappointed that our waitress did not offer us dessert or coffee. We ordered dessert anyway, but they are missing out on a sales opportunity by not talking it up (doesn't EVERYONE love to see the dessert tray???)

• Visited February 2013