“Worth checking out...Cook knows his/her Polish foods” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Elk Grove Village
“Worth checking out...Cook knows his/her Polish foods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Many times I have visited friends in Wisconsin and have passed this Polish restaurant with the thought "yep, have to try that one one day". Well the day finally arrived.
Not far from Milwaukee's Gen Mitchell Airport lies one of the best Polish restaurants I have visited in a long time. (I might add that being of Polish descent, I am particular with my Polish foods)
My girlfriend and I finally made up our minds to take the time to try this restaurant. We called to find out the hours (11;30-3 pm then reopens at 5pm-9pm) Closed Mondays.
We had been shopping so had a late lunch around 1:30-2:00. The restaurant was empty except for 2 gentlemen (later another couple did come in just for some soup).
We were seated and given menues to look over. Our waiter (Calvin) was pleasant and asked for a drink order. Although alchol is served, we opted for soft drinks.
The menu had 3 soups,appetizers, entree's and sandwiches.
I was eager to try a Polish soup called Czarnina (ducks blood) while my girlfriend was not as adventerous and opted for the mushroom soup. When served, Calvin asked if I was familiar with Czarnina which I thought was a nice touch as someone may not know the ingredients. I assured him I was and must say was not disappointed at all. Vinegar is used in the soup and many times people tend to over due but this was just right with raisins and a few noodles. (I like a bit more noodles but that's my preference). My girlfriend said her homemade mushroom soup was good.
There were pierogi on the menu (one of my favorites) but again, I am fussy about them so was going to try the stuffed cabbage rolls. However my girlfriend spotted the Polish Plate and we both decided on that as it consisted of 2 pierogi (your choice of potato, sauerkraut, cheese or meat), 1 stuffed cabbage, 1/2 link Plish sausage,sauerkraut and 1 potato pancake. Having a sample of these would give me a good idea of the food.
My order of pierogi were kraut while my girlfriend choose cheese). They were quite good. The potato pancake has onion in it and was large. The stuffed cabbage was a nice size with just enough tomato sauce (Very good), the kraut a bit tart (need some type of potato to cut it) and the sausage was not my favorite. Have had better sausage from the deli.
There was a dessert menu on the table consisting of cheesecake, Polish torte, miniature pasteries and ice cream but we were too full to give them a try.
All in all we both agreed that this was a place to come to. Can't wait to have a full order of the stuffed cabbage next time.
Prices are reasonable. Of course lunch is cheaper (ours was $13.50 lunch/$17.50 dinner) but of course dinner portions are larger.
I understand the weekends are busy. They have a Saturday Night Buffet and Sunday Polish Brunch Buffet from 11-2p.
They also have a website for all you texters/tweeters. www.polonezrestaurant.com

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Canton, Mississippi
“Polish food just like "MaMa's!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

The menu is varied so you can pick and choose or just go for The Polish Plate! You won't be disappointed!! the servings are generous and the wait staff friendly!!! We went mid-week and it wasn'rt crowded but I imagine larger groups need reservations.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Poish Sunday Brunch? Not so much...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Took the family to Polonez on Sunday for brunch, around 12:30. When I walked in, I was asked if I had a reservation... whoa! I guess they figured that with thirty tables in the place, with ONE filled, they were expecting a rush! The owner fidgeted a bit, but set up a table for the group. Bad omen. The server was very nice and prompt. Brought juices, coffee, etc and led us over to the buffet. WOW. I was underwhelmed. With a few cold dishes (deviled eggs, smoked salmon, potato salads, pork loin, etc), a few chafing dishes (eggs, bacon, hash browns, bigos, potato pancakes, banana crepes, sausages bites, ham, etc), and some desserts (at least one looked like what I bought at Sam's club last week!), we started to eat. Oh, yes.. the soup. That was the best dish on the buffet: Pickle soup! It was excellent.
We atesome, not our usual fill. The food was at best mediocre. I was disappoint that for $15 the selection was quite pedestrian... not living up to the quality I expected. The cold pork loin was dry, ham was soaked in its water bath, potato pancakes tasted like and looked like they were from a mix... but the bigos (Polish hunter's stew) was pretty good.
In all the bill, $70 for the family (4 adults, 1 child) was too much for the quality of the buffet. I understand why it was so empty.
We have eaten at many Sunday brunches in Milwaukee... we will NOT return to this one.
NOT recommended.

BTW: It is St. Francis, not the city of Milwaukee.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
milwaukee
“So-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I have dined here three times over the past 6 years.
The food is inconsistent. Some items are very good and others just don't seem to measure up.
On my most recent trip I ordered Weinerschnitzel. The breaded veal cutlets were very good and tasty however they were accompanied by 2 ice cream scoop shaped balls of obviously instant potatoes. Instant potatoes are the type of thing you would expect to find at a $7. all-you-can-eat buffet, but not when you are paying $17. for an entree. Worse yet is the fact that they serve real potato pancakes and real potato filled pierogis which would lead one to believe that there must be a supply of real potatoes back in the kitchen, so why the instant mashed???
All of the soups I have tried are excellent.
My wife was looking forward to the traditional Polish Kielbasa when she ordered the sampler platter but the sausage on the platter was not Kielbasa.
None of the food, with the exception of the soup arrived, piping hot and I have noticed this trend on all 3 of my visits so it was not just a fluke.

South Florida
“Best Polish food we have ever had !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Found this restaurant listed in the "GO EAT" guide at the hotel near the airport. It's only 10 min. away and what a find.
I'm part polish and enjoy good polish food but it's not something you find easily. After calling to get directions from the owner a sweet, yes, polish lady we drove the rental over to S. Packard Ave. in the St. Francis section of town. The most expensive item on the menu is about $17.50 and it's a combo that we all ordered.
Fantastic polish food all made from scratch with excellent service.
I thought grandma and my oldest sister cooked well but this was a super dinner !
Not to be missed if you like this type of food and find yourself near Milwaukee.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere