“Should Stick with Burgers” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
wisconsin
“Should Stick with Burgers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Not having been here in a while, we again we tried Chances for dinner. I must say, that the drinks at the bar are fairly good and they are reasonable. But I can tell you nothing has changed since the last bad meal I had there. I thought I would try the ribs and shrimp scampi. They are well known for their ribs. I didn't know you could buy ribs with no meat on the bone, only fat. The pasta had so much salt, you couldn't eat it. And the shrimp tasted like the bottom of a fish tank. Not to mention the shrimp had major freezer burn. No garlic flavor what so ever. And to say the least, the dinner came just like my soup, warm would be an overstatement. I can say the warm bread was very good. For what we paid we could have gone to a little classier place for dinner. Stay away, let someone else take a Chances on this place for dinner.

• Visited January 2012

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Monday - Thursday 10 dinners for $10 .....good deal. Large helpings

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very pleased with dinner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a warm & friendly place in an old, historic downtown building. The bar was fun with locals joking along with us, and our dinner was fabulous. We all had ribeyes, with one NY strip, and all four steaks were perfect. The onion soup was unique, with a touch of smokiness from the grilled onions. The tarragon scallops appetizer was small but delicious, and our service was fine. No complaints. Not a fancy place, but no dump either. We will be going back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, WI
“Chances is Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Chances is TOP NOTCH!! This is definately the best restaurant in Western Racine County. The food is fantastic and very well priced. There are more pretentious places definitely, but none that serves fantastic food in a rustic pub atmosphere. Steaks and Ribs are the standards but try the Chefs Specials each night and you will not be dissapointed, this Chef goes the extra mile with daring creativity and succeeds eveytime. I have never had a bad meal there. If you want Buffets go to Old Country Buffet, chances isn't a buffet place, why should they be every thing else they do is awesome.
To slam this place because a buffet ( I've never seen a buffet there before???) was mediocre, shows what a hillbilly the last reviewer was.
A Regular,
HJS

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wind lake
“"Take your chances", Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We went there for Mothers Day Brunch at 17.95 a person The food was the worst I've ever had. This a bar that should stick to hamburgers and smoke. The chicken was so overcooked it had melted apart with the skin off. I would'nt even taste it. The fruit what little there was, was canned. The ham was soggy and tasteless.This was a bad potluck church dinnner and was set up that way, without atmosphere. The desserts were out of Sam's. There wasn't anything made fresh.The bread was mediocre. A total rip-off that put a damper on Mother's Day for me. Luckily ,we went to the Cotton Exchange in Waterford for brunch a week or two later which at 14.95 was excellent . We have found some place local to go to.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere