“Yuck” 2 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Acres Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Acres Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4060 South Shore Drive, Rhinelander, WI 54501-8265   |
Offers & Announcements
CALL US! Get a FREE nite!
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rhinelander
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Yuck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Definitely not thrilled with this hotel or with their service. They weren't very friendly when I booked our room and were rude when I called a few days prior to our check-in. They also hung up on my sister (afer being extremely rude to her) when she called to ask about adding another night on to her stay.

I had asked for an early check-in and was told our room would be ready by noon. We arrived at 12:45 and it not only was it not ready; but they hadn't even started to clean it yet! We had to wait around for almost an hour and they never apologized.

The place is also very run-down. It felt like I was at summer camp.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Park Ridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Every year is better and better. There is always something to do. If the day is good, swim, water ski, fish, hike. If the weather doesn't cooperate, swim in the in-door pool and play pool in the coffee shop. The more senior of the group stay in a lodge room with air conditioning and the restrauant just steps away. For the rest of the family, a cabin with kitchen (dishes and pots and pan, etc. included) lets the kids run and eat and nap whenever. A camp fire is the ideal setting for folk lore and stories of the hodag and other beasties. The next generation has come to love it. It is wonderful to see the tradition continue. After all these years the kids and their kids make sure they make it every year. That speaks volumes for just how great it is. We love it and hope to make it for another 28 years!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We recently returned from a week at Holiday Acres for a family reunion. There are definitely pros and cons, and I'm hard pressed to see how other reviewers rate this 5 stars.

Pros: pretty lake, small clean beach, rental equipment available, good spacing between the cabins, tennis and volleyball courts and indoor pool. Cabins definitely have a northwoods feel and were clean. We did the daily maid service for an additional $65 for the week.

Cons: Price - about $200 a night for a two bedroom cabin - I could live with that - except the beds were really uncomfortable (and this was mentioned by most of my family staying in other cabins), and the walls were paper thin which led to zero privacy between the bedrooms, bathroom, etc. Our bathroom needed an upgrade as did the furniture in the living room - it was uncomfortable to sit in. The wifi only works in the hotel - barely any signal in the cabins for researching things to do, etc.

We ate in the restaurant for Sunday brunch, and it was good. Not great, but good, and reasonably priced.

Staff has been mentioned in other posts as very friendly and wonderful - I wouldn't say that. They weren't rude, but they weren't overly friendly. They were just average.

I'd recommend to others that they check into lodging at Eagle River. It seemed like a livelier town with lakes as pretty as the Rhinelander area.

I have great memories of our family reunion - but of the people and good times together - not so much of the lodging. If the price was more like $100 a night, this would get 5 stars. But the price combined with the cabin quality make this an average rating.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Plymouth wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

My family had a family reunion at Holiday Acres in August 2010. The place has great northern feel. Takes you back in time. The only problem I had was with the restaurant.
They had a wedding on the night we ate there and were very busy. My family was just getting into the resort and decided to eat one night at the restaurant. We went into the restaurant and asked to be seated at the bar so we could watch the preseason football game. The service was awful. My food never did come out. The waitress wanted to bring it out after the rest of my family was done eating. At that point I was bad and ask to speak to the manger. The manger of the restaurant embarrassed me in front of my family. She would not do anything except cut me down. Even said you know this is not Applebee's. Like I have never been to restaurant that was not fast food or chain. I told her my family reunion was 40 people and nobody will be eating here. We got up and paid the bill and left. When talking to the local couple on the way out they said it is normal very good.

The resort owner did give us a free boat motor for one week when he heard how rude his restaurant manger was. The place seems to go out of their way to make the guest happy.
We are going again this summer for another family reunion. It is a great place for family reunions with the indoor pool for rainy days. Great beach and lake. Great staff except for the restaurant manger. I am looking forward to the visit this summer but will not be eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My family and I have vacationed here for 15 years now and I look forward to this trip more and more each year! They always come up with new activities to do and treat you like family when you arrive. Kim and his family always remember us and greet us with a smile and such enthusiasm. The cabins are so nice and the lake is indescribeable! I want to get married here some day even though it's 6 hours away from my house in Illinois!! I can't wait until our trip up here in July and would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for that "home away from home" and quiet yet active and relaxing place to vacation! Thank you Zambon's for creating this amazing resort! :)

• Stayed July 2010
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in Rhinelander!! The lake and cabins are picture perfect with the staff so friendly you can't believe it. The trails were beautiful and the food and bar were awesome. Would stay again in minute!! Thanks for the great time!

• Stayed July 2010
Mountain, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Had a wonderful time on a quick weekend getaway from our own resort. Kari and Kim are great hosts and the food and music was wonderful...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!