“White Stag is THE choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“White Stag is THE choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Since I was a kid (and I am 54 years old), going to the White Stag was a treat for almost everyone's birthday. The fun of watching the chef prepare our steak on the grill in the dining room. The huge bowl of crispy lettuce, Russian dressing, baked potato with almost a half a stick of butter! The sour cream and cottage cheese topping.
Now as an adult, it is still my favorite place to eat, anywhere! I always had the En Brochette, but I have since tried the Rib-eye. Other members of the family have tried the pork chops which are so good. I can't seem to order anything other than the steaks as they are the BEST and I don't know how soon I can come back so I want to make sure I get the excellent beef cooked over the charcoal grill.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The food is outstanding, love the different dressings and their lettuce is always superb. Fish and steak are always cooked perfectly. Only complaint the drink prices are quite high.

Visited November 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“The White Stag IS the Northwoods!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This restaurant has been around for more than fifty years. And there's good reason. The atmosphere is cozy and woodsy and the food is just plain good. Nothing fancy. Just beautifully prepared beef, chicken (try it "Dave's Way") and fish. Every meal begins with a 1950's style iceberg lettuce wedge and choice of house-made dressings along with beautifully warmed rolls and butter. (Actually, I usually eat so much of these items that I struggle with my main course! So beware and take it easy!) Entrees come with a baked potato with whatever toppings one prefers. And there are some lovely "sides". Our faves are the sauteed mushrooms, the grilled onions and the blue-cheese crumbles. I have read some negative reviews of this retaurant on this site and I am surprised. I wonder if the diners were hoping for a "city" experience. If so, they need to ratchet up their "Northwoods mindset". Even when the White Stag is overflowing with diners (which is typical on a summer weekend evening), we've always had a positive experience.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“It is what it is!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

A northwoods steakhouse, not a city steakhouse. A good steak. baked potatoe and wedge of iceberg lettuce. no more choices.
I went on a Monday night off season, one overworked server, a chef bussing tables.
I understand it is Very busy in the summer.

I would not go again, pricey for what you get

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
wisconsin
“Run in the Opposite Direction as fast as you can!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I am very open-minded so I post this with hesitation, but I feel I must warn people! I have ALWAYS wanted to visit this restaurant, and after years the occasion finally came and we strolled in on slow saturday evening in March-me and 4 well-behaved teenagers, hungry and looking to relax and have a good time. There were about 3 other occupied tables in the mostly empty restaurant. We were "greeted" by a lady who shouted to us from the end of a bar where she was watching a large-screen TV, and she got up briefly and sort of walked towards us then waved us to a table in the corner. The table was nicely set-this is a table-cloth sort of place where they seem to be attempting at elegance-, sort of, with mismatched (and not in a clever, kitschy way) bowls-a couple worn wooden bowls and several old plastic bowls (like the ones they sell in the thrift stores, scratched and putty colored) combined with glassware. The restaurant is dimly lit with a strange assortment of old art, decorative plates and northwoods fare (like a deer head) on the walls. It was another about 10 minutes before one of the two waitresses in a practically empty restaurant arrived at our table and without much enthusiasm thrust menus in our hands. She never offered to take our drink order, but eventually filled our glasses with water. The menu was very short and there was no children's menu or even a lite-eater menu (I had a 12-year-old with me) but there were "Sirloin Sandwiches" which were $8 and three of the kids with me got those-beware, this is GROUND sirloin, not steak sandwiches-which would have been fine if they were GOOD, which they weren't. Part of the gimmick of this restaurant is there is an exhibition chef cooking over and open fire in full view. Well the sandwiches were charred on the outside and raw on the inside! My son ordered the ground sirloin for $14 which was okay-he said it just tasted like a hamburger patty without the bun. I ordered a ribeye which are my favorite steaks but the cut of meat was gristly and chewy and undercooked. But first we had salad, which was the funniest part, that had everyone in stitches-Apparently there is a "Style" of doing things at this restaurant, almost like a secret club that they don't explain to you so if you've never been there before it borders on bizarre! So the reason there are old nasty bowls on the table when you arrive is they bring out a large "salad" bowl of quartered iceberg lettuce heads that they STAB with a giant pair of metal tongs-they were so firmly entrenched in one of the quarters that I had to stand up and wrestle with them holding down the lettuce in order to release them from their hold-then we served ourselves with giant chunks of lettuce, and there was a choice of three dressings-a caesar, a vinegar & oil and a russian. Dressings weren't bad but I don't consider a hunk of iceberg a "Salad" and the presentation was absoutely laughable! And the way the waitress dropped off each part of the meal, from the lettuce chunks to the main course, was completely with indifference and almost a boredom. So you know when you order a dinner there, you get a baked potato-nobody explained this, but when they bring your meal which is wheeled over on a kitchen cart, they bring each person a baked potato (there isn't apparently a choice of potatoes), which the bored waitress prepares, opening the foil for you. The "sour cream" is a mixture of cottage cheese with some parsley and/or chives and it didn't hit the mark for teenagers who weren't watching their figures! We never were offered any beverages and until I asked for milk for two of the kids the waitress didn't apologize or even ask if anyone else wanted anything. We were mostly ignored once we got our food. Only my son with the ground sirloin almost finished. The rest of the kids had maybe two bites of their charcoal burgers, and I had a few of my steak and we took them in containers but threw them away. It was a complete waste of money and time other than it's comedic value-because it was SO bad it was funny-thank heavens we have a sense of humor. I left a record low tip for this one-11%. I am a solid 20%+ tipper, and despite the food, if the waitress had put some effort into her job, she would have gotten at least a nice tip from the deal. I have seen some recent positive reviews on yelp of this restaurant and I laugh-either they got lucky, have no taste or are the owner's friends or relatives. This place needs to step-it-up because I have NEVER had a worse experience (bad service) combined with bad food in my life and at these prices! Thank heavens for the edible warm rolls because we had something in our stomach until we got home!

• Visited March 2012