“Sticklers for perfection were not disappointed!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Racine
La Farge, Wisconsin
“Sticklers for perfection were not disappointed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I begin this review by saying that I hate to travel. What I actually should say is that I hate staying at most hotels because I often have difficulty sleeping, so many hotels (even highly rated ones) can be kind of gross and service in America is really on the decline. So I don't travel much. I should also qualify my review by saying that I am actually a hotelier myself.

So, this past weekend, having to travel to Racine for a family function was met with a certain level of trepidation. And the lodging choices are not incredibly abundant. After careful analysis of my options, particularly the reviews here on tripadvisor, we chose the Racine Marriott hotel. (It's important to note that in 2010 for another family function a room at this hotel was chosen for us & the experience was less than stellar.)
I booked online, requesting a king bed on a high floor, away from the pool & elevators, etc... I also requested extra pillows. I received an automatic response with my confirmation that the king bed was guaranteed and that the other requests could not be guaranteed but the request would be "noted."

Upon arrival, we were met by three pleasant & professional front desk clerks. We were given our paperwork & we headed off to our 5th floor room that was definitely away from the maddening crowd.
I could certainly walk through every minute of our stay but it's probably best to paraphrase...
Positives -
*The bed linens were very clean & not bleachy.
*The general appearance of the room was clean & tidy.
*Bathroom amenities were abundant.
*Bathroom linens were clean, fresh & of better-than-good quality.
*Hangers in the closet were not the dreadful kind that are attached to the rod but good quality wooden ones.
*Again - staff was incredibly pleasant & personable.
Negatives -
*A couple "stray hairs" from past guests in the tub. (I personally HATE this - if they can't see these on a smooth white surface what else did housekeeping miss???)
*The TV remote didn't work. (This really should not happen. Housekeeping should check things like remotes & that alarm clocks are shut off, etc... when they clean. It really takes just a few extra moments.) A phone call to the front desk & maintenance was there within minutes with a new one.
*Coffee condiments were "expired." Liquid creamer actually curdled in a cup of coffee. (I prefer not to spend a vacation sick from a cup of coffee. This was addressed with staff at check out & they assured us that ALL the condiment inventory on hand would be checked...)

Would most folks find a stay at this hotel a good experience? You bet. Would we stay there again? Sure. Could staff "tweak" a few things to be exceptional? Absolutely.

One moment of "above & beyond" - With our check-in paperwork was a small envelope that we actually forgot about until we arrived home. It was a hand-written note by the staff, welcoming us, noting the "quite floor" we requested, and encouraging us to contact them if needed. That is an incredibly positive & personal touch that did not go unnoticed. Good job, Mary Furey & staff, I'm sure we'll see you again...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
RacineMarriott, Director of Sales at Racine Marriott, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your well thoughtout feedback regarding your recent stay at the Racine Marriott. It was a pleasure to share your complimentary comments, along with your suggestions for areas of improvement, at a recent Staff Meeting. I can assure you that we have reviewed some highly impactful housekeeping procedures with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Racine Marriott when you return to our area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I had one of the best experiences at this Marriott from check in through checkout, all the staff was helpful (even with a problem in my room that turned out to be user error!). In my haste packing I left a sweater behind. They retrieved it and sent it back. I travel a lot, and this experience was a model of what all hotels should be like. I wouldn't hesitate to go back in a heartbeat.

the only downside was that I tried to print at both of the complimentary printers downstairs. One didn't work at all, the other jammed every other page.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
RacineMarriott, Director of Sales at Racine Marriott, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. We are very proud of our commitment to exceptional guest service at the Racine Marriott, as demonstrated by the expediant return of your sweater. Also, both printers have been repaired. Please join us, again, on your next visit to Racine.
Madison, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Throughout my many stays around the U.S., I always try to be fair and impartial as to how I rate a hotel or restaurant when I write my reviews. My first impression of the Racine Marriott was very clean, and welcoming. I found this to be true throughout my stay. As a matter of fact, this has to be one of the cleanest hotels I think I have ever stayed in. The housekeeping staff and management should be commended for their hard work. I'm very picky when it comes to cleanliness, and this hotel rates a 10 on cleanliness. As for comfort, The bed was very comfortable, and the room was as well, with plenty of space for relaxing.

What really makes a hotel are the people who work there. Being a Platinum Elite member, I have daily access to the Concierge Lounge which is an added benefit for the business traveller. My first experience with the Concierge lounge was with the host, Raymond Mathews. It was worth going to the Lounge each day just to visit with Raymond. I can't say that the food there was spectacular, because it wasn't. Most of the time it was cold, but that was the fault of the food & beverage service at the hotel. That is the only reason I gave this property a four, instead of a five rating. I also tried room service, where I found my breakfast to be cold, and inconsistent from one day to the next. In all fairness, I brought this to the attention of the General Manager Brian Wismar who was very receptive to my comments. He seems to be a very caring GM for the hotel, and assured me that he will take the necessary actions to improve the quality of the food service. I spoke with my business associate prior to writing this to be fair, and he too had the same general complaints about the food.

Overall, I would rate this as the best spot to stay in the Racine area, based on the other properties I've seen, so I would recommend this Marriott for your stay, be it business or family. The personnel for the most part are excellent, but Raymond is the best. I know that the General Manager will make the improvements in food service, so my next stay I'm confident it will get the full 5 star rating. So on your next stay at the Racine Marriott, say hello to Raymond, and tell him I sent you. He'll get a kick out of that. Enjoy your stay there.

Room Tip: I think you won't go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your great experience. We are thrilled that your stay at the Racine Marriott exceeded your travel expectations, and you enjoyed a comfortable first class stay. I can assure you that Mr. Wismar relayed your feedback to our food and beverage team to implement improvements. Your nice comments have been shared with our entire staff, including Ray. His commitment to providing exceptional guest satisfaction is commendable. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Racine Marriott on your next visit.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Just 50 miles north west of Chicago, I was visiting our Sturtevant office and looking for well priced, clean and welcoming accommodation. The Marriott Racine has it all. A great gym, good bar and dining, well kept rooms and exceptionally set up for the business traveller. One real plus is the shuttle service that can get you to and from Sturtevant rail station. Don't underestimate the US long haul rail. It cost US$22 from Sturtevant to Chicago central station and the trip took an hour. In peak hour or a blizzard, double the time. Near the hotel there are some additional restaurants and atypical Mid West bars.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
RacineMarriott, Director of Sales at Racine Marriott, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing the positive experience you enjoyed while staying with us last week. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Midwestern hospitality and the comfortable, clean atmosphere we are proud to offer all of our guests. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Racine Marriott on your next visit from Australia!
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We got 4 rooms for our children and their families for the holidays. The first time I called and the girl was quite rude... so I went online and booked the rooms. The price was reasonable for the Christmas season and we used AAA and our son in law's Federal ID discounts.
Upon arrival... the staff was very very accommendating by changing the rooms so they could be all near to one another. SO FAR SO GOOD. The rooms were very very nice... My son with many children had adjoining rooms very convenient -... Here's were it gets treaty... Thinking as most hotels have a complimentary breakfast.. NOT HERE it's either $9 or $10 a person... WOW
we picked the neighborhood hotel for convience and the pool for the children... also they put a $20 incodental charge PENDING on each room... hmmmmm.... So now we wait and see how the kids like it. Going to either a restaurant for breakfast or getting donuts.....
Merry Christmas

Room Tip: Might want to go to another hotel with a breakfast included in the price.....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

On the surface this is a great hotel. We had a bad breakfast here a year or two ago, so were happy to see they have addressed this problem by opening a new one. Errrrr.....the light is so bright that it hurts your eyes. They were blasting the Killers when we came in for breakfast, so we asked for them to turn down the music. They put on some lovely blues, for about two songs life was good. Then we were joined by a different staff member who went back to blasting the Killers, and as if that weren't bad enough carrying a conversation with another staff member on the other side of the room. When I say conversation, I'm being polite

They aren't used to having people, for good reason, don't disturb the staff, go somewhere else.

On the bright side the food isoverpriced but swallow-able.

If the new concept in the remodel is: bright, loud and uncomfortable they nailed it.

To be fair the hotel is nice for around here, just beware the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011
RacineMarriott, Director of Food and Beverage at Racine Marriott, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our new restaurant. While we are disappointed to hear that your experience was not what we would have expected it to be, we absolutely appreciate your insite. There are certain standards in place and we will take this opportunity to remind our staff of this - lighting, music and conduct. We have recently won Best Restaurant at Taste of Racine, and we certainly are hopeful you will give us another opportunity to showcase this to you by returning in the future. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share - please contact me at 262-886-6111 - Bob Crawford.
Wheaton, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The hotel was very clean and comfortable.The bedding was high quality and the mattress was foam and very comfortable. We enjoyed the indoor hot tub and pool. The hotel staff was pleasant and we had a very comftable and pleasant stay. We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
RacineMarriott, Director of Sales at Racine Marriott, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for your recent feedback to your stay at the Racine Marriott. We are proud of the wonderful changes and upgrades to the guestrooms, including the new HDTV flat panel televisions, luxurious bedding, and expanded fitness area. We pride ourselves on providing the finest accommodations in Racine, and we are thrilled that you and your family had the opportunity to enjoy the pool area as well. We would be honored to have you stay with us the next time you travel to Racine.

Been to Racine Marriott? Share your experiences!