“needs serious cleaning and updating” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Winchester Wilderness Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Presque Isle
Winchester Wilderness Inn
You added Winchester Wilderness Inn to your Saves list
10237 Country Rd West, Presque Isle, WI 54557   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Presque Isle
Wausau, Wisconsin
“needs serious cleaning and updating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

When we unlocked the door my husband and I looked at each other and seriously considered asking for a refund. The beds and mattresses were in terrible condition. I checked the view out our window and the windows were really dirty not to mention the thick mat of fly carcasses between the windows. Did I mention it was karaoke night at the bar? Not a big fan.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I have stayed at Wilderness Inn several times, my last in February of this year on a snowmobile trip. The location of Wilderness Inn is great for snowmobiling. You can access trails that go in many different directions from Wilderness. The rooms on the other hand do need help, especially the lower units. The beds need to be replaced too, talk about a sore back from poor support. And whatever you do, don't drink the water unless you like the taste of rust with a funky odor. It is in need of a serious refreshing. I hope they are doing something this summer to make conditions a little better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms were pretty bad. No phones, poor cell phone reception in the area
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We stayed at the Winchester Wildernss Inn in Winchester, WI for a snowmobiling trip late January 2008. This resort includes a recently remodeled bar and grill an old 9 unit motel. I have stayed in a lot of old and out of style places, but as long as they are clean, I don't complain. This place is old, the room rates aren't that cheap ($61.00 per night), and it is is by far the most disgusting, dirtiest, and unhygenic place I have ever seen in my entire life. When you enter the rooms you are greeted by an overpowering stench that is a mix of aromas I have yet to identify. (It's a cross between your junior high men's lockerroom, stale cigarettes, and your grandpa's basement). The kitchenette rooms have 1950's era appliances that haven't been cleaned or services since they were installed. The rooms aren't even close to being up to building code. Housekeeping is an afterthought. When we got there, our host informed us the maid had not been to work in a month. The daily maid service we did get consisted of us fgetting our own towels and toilet paper from the storage are after repeatedly ask the owners for these item. We took out our own trash daily. It looked like the rooms had never been cleaned. I reached for a glass out of the disgusting cabinets only to discover the glass was coverd in a crursted milk mold ring on the bottom. That was the cleanest thing in the place. There was mold everywhere in the room and I had to clean up cockroach and mouse dung near our food storage are in the morning. We were afraid to take our clothing off to sleep. The ceiling had holes in it and our door let snow blow in when it was 20 below zero. There are no phones in the rooms, our refriderator had animal blood in the botton of it and froze everthing placed in it, and the room TV gets one station (whatever is playing in the bar). After one night, my sinuses were plugged from mold, I had a sore throat, and my skin was itching from the various parasites and vermin in the mattress and carpeting in the room. In short, if you stay here, you are risking our health and wasting your money. The health department needs to take a serious look at this place or the owners need to hire a hazmat team or demolition company.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Winchester Wilderness Inn? Share your experiences!