“Poorly Managed, Poor Hospitality” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Prairie du Chien
Delta Motel
1733 1/2 South Marquette Road, Prairie du Chien, WI 53821   |
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Prairie du Chien
huckleberryboobear
“Poorly Managed, Poor Hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Stayed in Prarie du Chien for several months on business travel. Delta Motel was the first motel I stayed in. I knew I would be there sometime so I immediately asked for the monthly rate and it was reasonable. I was going to be there through the holidays, Christmas, and New Years and I asked if it would be OK to have my wife and 2 children visit during the holidays. No problem. I was given a double queen at the end of the motel and it was pretty roomy and clean too. All good. A few days later, the owner/manager came knocking on the door asking me to move down a different room which was much smaller, and not so "modern". She said her daughter made a mistake and gave me this room at one of the other room's price and would like me to move to that room instead. I had already set up "house" and my work gear and it would be a huge inconvenience to move it all. She said that the room I was in goes for double what I was paying in the summer (peak season there). I understand that, however it was not peak season...it was the dead of winter....and like I said, the rate was "reasonable" She then said that they were actually losing money by me staying in this room. I know for a fact that they were not losing money on that room. A long term stay such as mine, even at a winter rate is much more profitable than only renting to an occasional weekender.
so I told her that this was the room I had been shown and agreed to.
"Fine" she said, "but I can't afford to give u housekeeping at that rate, only trash removal"
Later, my wife and kids came to visit for Christmas and New years. While I was away the owner/manager came to the room and asked my wife how much longer she was going to stay because she (my wife) and kids were costing them even more money because it used more hot water up. She said to have me stop in and talk to her when i got in. I did and she informed me that the room I was staying was not going to be available after that month and we would have to move to that other room.... AND it was $50.00 MORE than the original quote! I chose to take my business to the Holiday Shores in McGregor, IA, just acroos the river from Prairie. The room was just as nice and clean and $75 less a month.
One more thing, the Delta Motel did a very poor job of keeping the parking lot clear of ice and snow. I slipped twice and was late to work once because the snow was not plowed and I got stuck.
I fel that the business was very poorly managed, and had a total lack of hospitality

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

I know this review is a little late in coming but the Delta Motel is one of the reasons I joined Trip Advisor. I hate to bash locally owned places but the Delta motel is a dump. All the chain motels in Prairie du Chien were booked for the night we needed so I checked Trip Advisor for some ideas for motels in the area. I am not opposed to staying at Mom & Pop places but I am not sure where some of the other reviewers stayed, not at the Delta. I am thinking they are the owners relatives or friends of the owner.

Where do I start: 1. The rate I was quoted over the phone ended up being $10.00 higher at check-in, when I pointed this out I was told I must have misunderstood. 2. The room smelled so moldy and musty we would have left except it was late, pouring raining out, and no rooms to be had for about 15 to 20 miles. 4. There was a HUGE water stain on the ceiling and walls of the room. 5. The curtains over the outside window were in shreds so we had to change clothes in the tiny bathroom 6. The toilet ran all night
7. There were cob webs with spiders in them in every corner of the room 8. The queen sized bed had a distinct bow in the middle 9. No hot water in the morning for a shower and we left at 6:00 am

My husband and I have both worked in the hospitality industry and can forgive a lot of things but the Delta motel is not one of them. Not worth it at any price, sleep in your car if you must!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

We just had a relaxing weekend at the Delta Motel. It was fantastic. We had very comfortable beds and chairs. They were very nice after a long day of work. The front desk clerk was warm and inviting. We ordered pep's pizza from our room and the clerk brought it to us. They were VERY hospitable. It was the best motel I have ever stayed at.

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

If what you're looking for is a clean room to spend the night, then the Delta Motel has all you need. I was just passing through and found the motel provided everything I needed. I had a good night's rest and there were plenty of places to eat dinner in the vicinity. Upon check-in, the motel provided a simple bag of breakfast goodies for the next morning. There was a refrigerator in the room and a tv which provided more than enough channels. If all you need is a simple, clean room to spend the night at a very reasonable price, then the Delta is the place.

• Liked — good value
  • Disliked — location on highway
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Napa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

For $39 per night, this motel was a terrific value. Everything was fine and they included a continental breakfast which was a surprise.

I like places where you can drive up to the door and this motel was better equipped than most in this price range.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

Early on a Saturday afternoon in October, many of the motels in PdC were already full. We took rooms at the Delta Motel, located on the main drag south of the center of town. The property is a little worn: torn wallpaper in our room, and the exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't work. We were also forced to take smoking rooms, so this may have colored our experience somewhat. The property was pretty quiet. We didn't take advantage of the free breakfast.

There are probably better options.

• Liked — Price was right
  • Disliked — A little worn; could have been cleaner
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Delta Motel? Share your experiences!