“Definitely old, but good food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Definitely old, but good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I hadn't read the TripAdvisor reviews before we went--the front desk staff at our hotel recommended Kaber's. I can understand both the good reviews and the poor ones, this place is definitely old and has not been tarted up in many years--it is very much like a place that was in its heyday in the 50s or 60s and hasn't had a facelift since. And the food is definitely not haute cuisine, it's also a bit of an echo of times past.
But our food was quite good, and I don't say that lightly. The catfish was served whole and it filled the plate (it was that big), and the chicken livers with bacon, mushrooms and onions (who dares to put such a thing on their menu any more?) was delicious, and I'm not all that fond of chicken livers. Soup, salad, and main for $9.95 (for what we ordered), beers $3.75 a pint. The lady who served our table was friendly and competent.
From the outside of the building, it does indeed look like a place you wouldn't want to go, and if it hadn't been recommended to us, we never would have considered it. We were glad we went.
If you go, head left through the door to find the restaurant (the bar is to the right, and it definitely doesn't look like a place to have dinner).

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

PEARL CITY
“Old place to eat. Needs some new decorating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The food was ok but not exceptial. Would probaby eat elsewhere next time. Dark and old looking.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ferryville, Wisconsin
“Old Style Wisconsin Bar & Supper Club”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Dark, not welcoming. Food and menu mediocre. Go across the street to Mulligan's Grillpub.

Visited November 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Reminds of a place my parents would have frequented. It is an older style supper club with good consistent food and service.

Visited May 2012
Wauzeka, wi
“Lousy Fish Fry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Went with a friend on a Friday night for their fish fry. We arrived about 7pm, they were pretty busy so we had a couple of cocktails at the bar and then got a table when it cleared out a bit. The wait for our drinks at the table was about 10 minutes. We then ordered our fish and honestly, it was the longest wait I've ever experienced. Our waitress was no where to be seen! We requested another waitress find her and still waited. When our fish finally arrived it wasn't at all what I had expected. My friend had the Cod (I think) and I had the Cat Fish. I swear, it seemed like they cut up all the tail portions and put them on my plate. It was probably about 8:30 by the time we were eating and the waitresses were cleaning around us and when I requested a different plate of fish I was told they didn't have anymore! I simply finished my salad and my potato and we then left, leaving NO tip for our terrible waitress. I would definately never go back. There are much nicer places to go in the area.

• Visited January 2012