“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1801 Cabelas Lane, Prairie du Chien, WI 53821   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Prairie du Chien
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in April 2012. It was not what I expect from a Country Inn & Suites. The staff at check-in was not very helpful. They did not point out where anything in the hotel was, basically gave me the key and said there you go.The room itself was very dated, time for a remodel. It is connected to what they call a "waterpark". I knew it wouldn't be much going in, not what we planned the trip around. The waterpark consists of a pool, a childrens pool, and 1 waterslide. This is not a Wisconsin Dells hotel, so like I said, wasn't expecting too much. Downside to the "waterpark" is that there were kids running up and down the hall banging on doors after 10p.m. The hotel staff did not do anything about it, so I finally stuck my head out the door and yelled at them myself. That seemed to do the trick. If I do go back to Prairie Du Chien, I will be staying at a different hotel. On the upside, this property is located next door to Cabelas.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
amybahnsen, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences at our property. We would like to extend a discounted offer if you should choose to give us another try. Please contact the General Manager at 608-326-5700. Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Frederick, Md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I'm used to Country Inn & Suites being great places, and was excited when a $45 priceline bid got me in here, but now I know why. This is the most dated Carlsson property I've inhabited.

Breakfast was the usual great, and internet connection was fine, but pool was for kids and room was small. Shower flow was so-so. HVAC unit fan was way too noisy and airflow was smelly in a truly bad way. Glad we could open window and that we didn't mind the nearby active train tracks. Easy walking distance to a smaller Cabela's; property on the north side out of town. Nice that a bar and restaurant are attached (but we didn't try them).

Gotta tell ya - front desk staff was superb coming in, sullen and uncommunicative upon checkout. Hope you get the nice guy instead of the grumpy gal!

Room Tip: Ask for a backside room upstairs if you want to watch trains. Because of their whistles, you can...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
amybahnsen, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Port Washington, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The worst part was the maid banging on the door, I open it standing with my luggage and she's growling, "IT'S PAST 12 O'CLOCK CHECK OUT!" It was 12:05pm. I got a dirty look as I walked out.

The newer room was nice, but the treadmills in the exercise room didn't work, the pool is a water park for kids, the in-house Buckhorn bar stops serving food at 9PM (the bar web site was last updated in 2007) and the hotel is located on the far north side of Prairie du Chien. No one was at the desk for me to complain to, same thing when I checked in, no one there. Scrappy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Farmington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We wont be staying there again. We were looking forward to using the jacuzzi tub, but tried filling it with hot water and there was none. Tried again the next day before checking out and there was no hot water at all, not even the showers. Its not worth the upgrade.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Prairie du Chien Country Inn was perfect for all the ages and interests of our group of 15. The Staff was accomodating and the amenities (pool, restaurant and breakfast) were very good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Barron, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

It was a great stay here. didn't know it featured a waterpark, but no problem for us 80 yr.old youngsters. The little critters were sleeping in when I hit the hot tub before 7am, to share with another oldie reading her romance paperback. Crew great, breakfast great and finding a piece of intimate wearing apparel by the sofa of the suite just made it all the more memorable.

Room Tip: If you have hit the high age numbers, had heart by-passes, take the suites, well worth the small ext...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Appleton, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I were looking for a romantic getaway weekend. We had never explored this area of Wisconsin so I booked this hotel because it had a "Romance Package". The package included a sausage and cheese tray, bottle of a local wine, a rose and a whirlpool suite. Sounded great on the website but was kinda disappointing.

They bring in a folding table and cover it in the room with a nice table cloth with the rose/vase on top of it with some tea candles and a couple of cheap chocolates. The rose actually lasted for a couple of weeks. It was really nice.

The wine and sausage/cheese platter was left in the little fridge in the room. The wine was from a local place in Iowa across the Mississippi river from where we stayed. At first I was really unhappy because it was a blueberry wine. I'm not much on fruit wines like that, preferring grape wines, but I tried it and was blown away. It was one of the best wines I've had in a long time. Ended up visiting the winery and buying a couple of cases of mixed wines including the blueberry.

The sausage/cheese platter was okay, but they should have crackers with it. I ran out and got some so we could eat it.

The whirlpool suite was advertised as having a tub for 2 people. I guess if you where 5' or smaller you could get 2 people into it. but even then It would be a challenge.

The hotel also has a "water-park" attached to it. It's great for smaller children, but if our teen had been along I doubt he would have gone to it.

Hotel in general is nothing special. Walls are kinda thin and we were on the ground floor so could hear the kids running in the halls upstairs. Also it's there is no smoking in Wisconsin hotels anymore. But you find them gathering around the doors going out and the smoke drifts in and down the halls so you still have a "smokey" smell lingering in your room. We had a king-size bed that was a little lumpy. Air conditioning was noisy and the TV needed a serious upgrade.

You do get a free breakfast each morning. Again nothing special, it's pretty tasteless. Best part of it is the coffee. That was really good.

Staff is the best part of the hotel. They left us nice little notes in the room and were very friendly.

I doubt I would stay here again. The area though is really nice and scenic. There is plenty to do.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, WI? Share your experiences!