“A Few Problems” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Randolph, Wisconsin
“A Few Problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived a bit early and were checked in to a room on the top floor. As in previous posts the elevators were a bit questionable. It was a bit warm so I went to open the door to the balcony only to notice 10 to 15 hornets swarming. Changed my mind and turned on the air conditioner. It sounded like it was struggling to run.

I went back to the front desk and the woman was kind enough to let me try out another room. Still had hornets outside but the air conditioner ran fine so we took it. When we tried to sleep at night we were awoken by someone outside our balcony door coughing. Apparently our neighbor went out to smoke and decided to stroll over by our door (shared balconies). Luckily we kept the blinds closed.

Needless to say it was not the best stay though we did find the bed comfortable when we did manage to get to sleep and the hotel staff were friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BW_Manager20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I am sorry to hear about the problems with the first room you were given, we do have a pest control company that comes and sprays for the wasps, but , unfortunetly all they can do is kill them, it does not prevent them from coming back. I hope that you will stay with us again if you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Central Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I will get to my main complaint about this hotel first, the 2nd elevator shook violently going up and down... so much that we did not feel safe riding in it, we always waited until the other elevator was available. I complained to management and recently recieved an email from the Manager that the elevator was indeed fixed... the repairman was there the day we left. So the elevator should be a non-issue now. As for the rest of our stay, we really like this hotel. We had a room on the top floor with a balcony.. it was great, recently remodeled, roomy, clean with a nice view. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good and hot and the girl working the breakfast was freindly and worked very hard to make sure every thing was stocked, hot and the counters cleaned. As a whole we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the only other complaint I have is that it is a little difficult to find the place once you get off the interstate, a few more signs would be nice.

Room Tip: The resaurant next to the hotel has a pretty good dinner selection, reasonably priced and good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you letting us know about the elevator, and that we were able to get someone in to fix it right away! We always appreciate our guests letting us know when there is something wrong, so we have the opportunity to take care of it!
Downs, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Clean hotel. Staff was pleasant. the location was good since it was so close to the Interstate. The breakfast was very good. we were there three days and used the pool each evening. It was hotter and mor humid in the pool area than outside and the sauna and jacuzzi didn't work. other than that, i would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were very pleased with this hotel - we upgraded to a room on the top floor with a balcony - the view was great . We saw deer feeding in the yard behind the hotel . There was lots of parking and easy access to a very good restaurant across the parking lot - always appreciated after a long day of driving . Room was large and well kept .Breakfast was very good - lots of variety . Staff was very friendly and helpful . Short drive to Green Lake . Close to Walmart which is helpful when staying for a few days .

Room Tip: Top floor appears to have the best rooms .
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
BW_Manager20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us a very nice review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stop back!
Channahon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have to admit, when we drove up, I had my doubts. The outside of the building is very dated. The rooms have been redone and are nice. The room seemed to be clean and maintained well.
The breakfast was good- waffle machine, fresh eggs and sausage, assortment of mini muffins, rolls, donuts,etc. This was just a stop-over for us and for the price we were very satisfied.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review!! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will stay with us again, if you are in the area.
chicago, illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at Best Western Portage for a Wedding on 6/30/12. We found the hotel staff, specifically Dawn, very helpful. Due to the time of the wedding we had requested an early check in. Dawn worked with the cleaning staff to make sure our room was cleaned and ready for our early arrival which was such a help to us.

The hotel itself is an average hotel. We found the rooms to be clean and comfortable (we had a two queen room). We stayed on the first floor a few doors down from the wedding party in the Aloha Room and we did not hear the music or guests from our room when we were ready to call it a night. We did not stay for breakfast but the breakfast area was clean, bright, and was good size. The pool was not deep but the whole area was nice and clean with warmer water.

Overall it was a decent stay and if I were in the area again I wouldn't hesitate in staying for a day or two.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to get you into your room early. We try our best to accomodate any early requests. We hope to see you again soon!
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the end of June, I must say the service was excellent. The front desk lady (Mattie) I think was very nice and gave us a nice King room at a great deal and even informed me about a problem with my Rewards card and activated my promotion for a free night which I know recieved because of her. Thank you so much and the restaurant next door Suzy's has some of the best seafood and steak in Wisconsin!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will certainly pass on your compliments to Mattie!! We hope you can stay with us again in the near future!

Been to BEST WESTERN Resort Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!