“a bit disorganized” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Washington
The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn
You added The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn to your Saves list
101 East Main Street, Port Washington, WI 53074   |
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“a bit disorganized”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed at Port Hotel-
great room w/ large 4poster bed. Huge bathroom w/double shower fixtureas. @ complenemtery movie tickets. Upon returning from the theater, could not enter bilding as keys did not work. Owner let us in. It was raining and cold at the time. Computer system down at check-in but we received complementary drink while we waited.Breakfast was served in our room, anice touch. Food plentiful but just good. Cpmplimentary bottle of wine was not given. All-in-all we would stay again.

port

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Winnebago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We took advantage of a Living Social deal to come to this Inn. Upon arriving we pulled up and entered the front door of the establishment. The front door is really only a stairwell with an old charm to it. The door on the left says "Restaurant" over it, so we established the restaurant location at that time. We went up the stairs looking for a desk to check in. On the second floor we found room numbers, and the third floor also. No desk to check in at. Very confused that we must have walked in the wrong door we started downstairs again. At the bottom of the stairs we ran into a group of people that were discussing the wine tour that we knew we were intitled to also as part of the deal. I'm guessing it was the owner who was instructing the other guest how to get to the winery. Unfortunately the owner does not have the best people skills, but I did believe he was on his way to do something else. Accessibility to more staff would be of great assistance to this inn. We got our wine tour tickets from him and learned that check-in would be on the second floor in the room that has no sign on it. A sign on the door would work wonders. We went to the wine tour and had a great time. Upon returning to the inn, we went to the second floor where the door to the room was open and we were able to check in. The lady checking us in was very polite and nice. She went over the list of policies, which is slightly long, but nothing that usually isn't obvious to anyone that cares about their personal property. She then personally showed us up to our room. She highlighted various parts of the room to us including the robes. She filled us in on info about dinner, breakfast, how to get ice, turn down service, etc. Even to point out attractions that we could view out of the windows. The room was nice. We were on the 3rd floor with a view of the harbor and lake. Great view to lay in bed and look out onto Lake Michigan. We went to dinner and had no wait in getting our soups/salad/bread. I asked the advice between Prime Rib and Rouladen, I love both, and the waitress was honest in saying they serve the Rouladen, but they are not a german restaurant, and that the Prime Rib is much better. I ordered the 12oz. Prime Rib and got a piece that was at least 18 oz. I cut meat for a living everyday and this was way more than what was ordered, but I loved every bite of it. It was great! They were out of the complimentary wine bottle, but replaced that with two glasses of wine per person which was accaptable. My wife had chicken wellington that was very good also. After our great meal we walked around town to work off our dinner before returning to bed. Bed was comfortable, but the furnace in the room was loud when it kicked on. The view also hindered the sleep for us in that we just wanted to keep looking out the window. Pillows were nice. They had complimentary coffee the next morning. We had to wait for 10:00 before brunch began on Sunday. Would be great if we could get our breakfast and move onto other activities. Brunch had a good selection with some regional specialties. They seemed to lack bread items though like toast and bagels. Very prompt in clearing the dishes and coffee refills. The only problem we had was with our water. First my wife noticed a bug in her water, and upon looking in mine found one also. I notified the waitress and she went for new water right away. She didn't know but I followed her as I was going back to the buffett. I was able to hear her tell her coworkers that she needed new water right away that there were bugs in it. She sounded like she really cared. Upon returning to the table my wife told me new water had been brought, but one of the new waters also had a bug in it. The server had already replaced it. Then the table next to us noticed they also had a bug. I think they looked like fruit flies, and makes me think that they must have an issue somewhere. Upon returning to the room I did my typical check for items we might have left behind. I tend to go searching for treasure from other people and checked under the bed. It would be well served to clean under the bed, even though that would require taking the bed apart. The room appreared clean, but the hidden areas needed alot of work, alot of dust and garbage (including receipts from 2008). It had a very up class feel though. I would recommend to others, just with the understanding that it could be better, but depends what you make of it.

Room Tip: 306 and 307 are on the top floor with views of the lake.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Inn has a very "bed and breakfast" kind of feel to, but you have much more privacy, are left to yourselves (which we enjoy), and the rooms are extremely clean. The staff do have limited hours, but it is not a large place so it is understandable. We stayed in room 304 - the view was okay but that wasn't a large concern of ours. It was exceptionally clean and well maintained. The bed was very comfortable (my husband slept better than he has in a very long time). I believe there was a 2 person shower (no tub/jacuzzi), which was fine with us. They do have more "rules" than most hotels such as no children, no smoking, full weekend stays May through September, and the damage policy (we were informed we could be charged for make-up on the towels/washcloths). The stairs up to the 3rd floor are fairly steep and narrow, so if you have difficulty with stairs, you would probably want a room on the 2nd floor. Brunch was included with the room. The buffet had a good selection with a station for made to order omelets and waffles. The lake-town is quaint, scenic, and quiet with several cute shops, eateries, and a winery which are within walking distance. Overall, it was very relaxing and peaceful stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved the Inn, the amenities were wonderful. Our room was so comfortable we could have stayed there all day long ! The restaurant and bar were Wonderful! Excellent food, but not over priced. Servers were fabulous. The locals at the bar were friendly and helpful to us. It was a great little get a way so very relaxing. We loved the turn down service and the delicious chocolates on our bed. Great host, lovely Restored Inn! Nice Gob! We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our second stay was just as lovely as our first, and the Port Hotel remains a beautifully restored inn with modern amenities and comfortable accommodations.

This time we stayed in a room on the 2nd floor, pretty much right at the top of the stairs. I believe it was room # 204? It had an incredible two person shower with more shower heads than you could count, a very comfortable bed and furnishings and a nice view of PW. Our only compliant was that since it was in the 'main' hallway and even though other guests were being quiet, you could hear every single thing happening outside the door, no matter the time of night or day. Definitely NOT a good room choice for light sleepers.

We had a bad experience at the restaurant for dinner the last time and vowed to not try it again. A local, however, shared with us that THE thing to get at the restaurant was the Prime Rib--so we gave it another shot and were very pleasantly surprised. We'd most definitely recommend it for the Prime Rib!

Brunch was included in our stay, but this time didn't include free champagne. No big deal. The offerings were plentiful, fresh and delicious...definitely worthwhile.

As I mentioned in my previous review, in order to stay in the hotel portion, you have to walk up at least one flight of stairs which might make it a poor choice for those with mobility challenges.

Overall, a very good stay. We'd return and recommend it to others when in Port Washington.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed on the upper most floor (3rd) in the NE corner (room 307). Nice view of the lake, St. Mary's church and downtown. Our room was cozy, extremely well furnished, and very comfortable. This 1910 building has been refurbished extremely well. All the woodworking, decorations and furnishings are beautiful though, not been a "home", it is different than the traditional bed and breakfast. We enjoyed the quaint little bar on the main floor and visiting with some of the other guests. Breakfast is brought right to your room in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We reserved a specific room for our anniversary weekend. One with a corner fireplace. When we arrived, we were taken to a different room smaller without a fireplace. When I showed Joe the email confirmation sent from them listing the room I had reserved, he told me it was already occupied. His only solution to the problem was to offer to refund my money. Not acceptable. We have a tendency to go back to places we like. I won't go back to the Port Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington House Inn
Washington House Inn
#1 of 2 in Cedarburg
5.0 of 5 stars 518 reviews

Been to The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn? Share your experiences!