“Wonderful food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Wisconsin
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

This place has amazing steaks. There are many other things too, but i always come for those. They have a great atmosphere too. I will surely come again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hayward, Wisconsin
“Always a Pleasure!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Marla and I have been to Ray Radigans a few times. We travel to Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie multilple times a year to see friends and family. Radigans is on our stopping list. All times we have been there, we have never had a better meal. The steaks were perfect, as was the sides, soups, salads, drinks, etc. Mike was always extremely cordial and always had a little story to tell us. The prices are high, so bring your extras. But it is worth every penny. I would recommend Radigans to everyone who travels to the Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie area. My fiancee Marla and myself will definitley be back time and time again!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kenosha, WI
“One of my favorite places in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I enjoyed a nice birthday dinner here with my family. I had the Sauteed Gulf Shrimp with Portabella Mushrooms served with orzo pasta, it was delicious and light. Everyone else ordered the tenderloin cut steak and they were equally pleased. We always come back because the food is consistently good. I have also had lobster here before and it was excellent. I would suggest sticking to one of the regular dishes on the menu, I have ordered the specials before and haven't been as pleased. The service is usually very good, timing of the courses just right.

Northbrook, Illinois
“Disappointing Trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and I drove 30-miles north, to have lunch at Ray Radigan's on Easter Sunday. Although we read some very good reviews about Radigan's, and knew about its long, storied history, we had never been there before.

If you've never taken a trip to Wisconsin , going north on Sheridan Rd. from Chicago, you will really enjoy the scenery. Driving along Lake Michigan, you pass through some of the wealthiest suburbs, and most beautiful real estate there is to be seen on the North Shore, or anywhere, for that matter. Our drive was the highlight of this Easter trip, on a bright, crisp, sunny late-March Sunday.

Radigan's is only a couple miles over the Illinois/Wisconsin border, on the west side of Sheridan Rd. It is an old, well-maintained converted farmhouse, dating back to 1933, with a sign above the front entrance that reads: "Ray Radigan's Wonderful Food." When you enter, you are "right there," i.e., right there in the main dining room! There is an open area to hang your coat on the immediate right, and the tables are to your immediate left. As a matter of fact, you can take a couple steps to your left, upon entering, and take a seat at the table by the front window, if you like a view of the road, and don't mind sitting next to the front door! Anyway, we were told by a passing waitress to continue past the other tables to the adjacent room, where we would be greeted by the host, and checked in. We had a reservation, which is recommended.

This room had some more tables, and a very nice bar. Mike Radigan, the owner and son of founder, Ray Radigan, welcomed us, and took us to our table: back to the main dining room, which is non-smoking, and one table away from the coat area, and front door. I took my place with the scenic view, looking over a table by the front window, out to Sheridan Rd. My wife sat next to me, facing the table to my immediate left, looking over to the coats and hangers. Both of us had a great view of new patrons, walking into the dining room. How special!

To be fair here, Ray Radigan's is an institution. As mentioned above, the restaurant has been very well maintained; it is a spiffy, neat place, with white table cloths, and starched napkins. Very clean, with a unique feel of its fine history. It is obvious that the Radigan family is proud of this place, and rightfully so.

It is also obvious that Mike Radigan respects the place and its great tradition. I would guess that he is in his middle-late 60's. A gentleman. Dressed in a nice sweater/slacks combo on this Easter Sunday, he carefully studied his reservation list, before selecting "just the right table" for his guests. It was apparent to me that seating was definitely calculated. Old friends/customers got the better tables. After all it was Easter, and it was to be expected. As a matter of fact, given our table with the front door view, many people greeted Mr. Radigan with a friendly "Hi, Mike. Good to see you!" This was/is, indeed, an old friends gathering place.

We began our luncheon with Bloody Mary's. They were very, very good, with a pickled asparagus spear. Nice twist in a Bloody!

After taking a look at the menu, Mike Radigan came by our table and recommended the Leg of Lamb special, which, he told us, was "one of my favorites." So, my wife and I ordered the lamb: $16.95.

Lunch came with a choice of a couple soups, which were good: a chicken with rice, or beef broth. We had one of each. Next came a fresh salad that included a typical mix of greens, and a couple beets. We also ordered a couple potato sides: mashed and baked. Good. However . . .

The main entree was very disappointing. Mr. Radigan's Leg of Lamb was served on the cool side, and it was full of thinly-sliced, fatty meat. My wife had made Rack of Lamb the night before, and it was much, much better than this cut of meat. As a matter of fact, our Saturday evening dinner was just way better. Both of us cook, and - if I do say so myself - we're very good cooks, so we usually measure a restaurant meal against our own efforts. All things considered, given this particular restaurant experience, Ray Radigan's came in a very distant second. We would have done better, had we prepared the meal ourselves. So . . .

Our first, and probably only-ever, trip up north to Ray Radigan's was a nice drive, followed by a second-rate Easter luncheon. We drove away very disappointed. Too bad for us. Maybe you'll have a better experience. Let us know!