“Four different rooms in three nights” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)

You added Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9409 Highway 16, Onalaska, WI 54650   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Four different rooms in three nights”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Onalaska on a business trip because my stay at this hotel ten years earlier had been excellent. Upon arrival I was assigned a room that had the door propped open by a wastebasket. The manager gave me a new room and this room was not clean; lint on the floor and money on the sofasleeper. I did not stay long enough in that room to look for more! The third room was nice except the airconditioner clunked when it turned on. The clunk made me jump sometimes, but I thought that I could live with this for a few nights. The next day I came back to the room in the evening and it was warm. Even though the air conditioner was set for 60 degrees (which is the only way I was able to get it to cool the night before) it was not working. I was given a new room, my fourth, in the time frame of two days. I had no problems with this room. Three others that I work with also stayed at this motel and their rooms were fine. I was a good sport moving from room to room, not complaining, but I did not receive any compensation for my inconveniences. As a side note, I tried the hot tub in the pool area and the water was cold.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights here and the stay was excellent. Our room had been recently painted and was very clean and comfortable. Beds were very comfortable allowing us to get a great nights sleep. Will stay here again. All staff members were great and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2013
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Ontheroad6:

Thanks for the review! Be sure to come and visit again when your travels bring you to Onalaska, WI.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The rooms are clean and big. The service could be better. I normally have biscuits and gravy at Holiday Inn Express Motels. They had biscuits, but no gravy. I was a little disappointed. Never seen one that didn't have these breakfast choices. They also don't have flavored cream for your coffee, just plain cream. Seems like they are playing it cheap on the breakfast items.
The breakfast attendant was busy talking to her friends, rather than seeing about customers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jack H:

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback. While we adhere to Holiday Inn's requirements on our breakfast bar, each day we try to offer something different from the day before. Be sure to stop by for another visit the next time you are in our area.
Deerfield, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family of 5 stayed here this past weekend in room 111. Check in was fast and easy, the woman working the front desk was friendly. The room seemed to be clean, it had 2 queen beds (they seemed more like double beds) and a sofa that pulled out into a double bed. To be blunt, the beds are terrible, the mattress are hard as a rock, you can feel the springs, the pillows were flat, none of us slept well, they to upgrade the beds before I would even consider staying there again. My next issue, the reason I booked the room with the pull sofa was because there were 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 children. We needed the extra bed. So, I get the kids ready for bed, go to pull out the sofa sleeper and there is a bare mattress, no pad, no sheets, no blanket, nothing. I search around the room, no extra bedding anywhere. Okay, no big deal, someone forgot to make the bed, I run up to the front desk and the young woman working the desk was on her computer, I kindly asked her if we could have bedding for the pull sofa, and frankly, she acted rather annoyed with me. In fact, a sigh, and reluctant "oh....um....I can get those for you" So she walks out of the office and just starts walking down the hall, so I follow her, I assume that was what I was supposed to do. Then midway down the hall, she stops and says, "do you need a pillow too?" I tell her yes, someone is going to be sleeping on the pull out sofa. ANOTHER sigh and she goes into room by the ice machine and grabs one flat pillow. Thanks. Then back to the laundry housekeeping area, she gives me a fitted sheet, flat sheet and small blanket. No mattress pad or cover. She hands them to me. I tell her thanks and her response is, "sure". It sort of irked me that she didn't offer to have someone come and make the bed (which I would have probably just declined anyhow, but it's the principle of the matter) So, I made the bed. Anyhow, the lack of smile or just an offer to have it done would have been nice. The fridge worked fine, the room had a microwave, desk, flat screen TV, plenty of lighting. The bathroom was fine, everything worked well. We did think it was funny how low the shower head was, I am not a tall person, 5'7" and I was having to squat down to get my hair wet, it was funny and odd. The pool area was clean, small pool, starts at 3 feet depth and goes to 5 feet. The hot tub was small as well. I noticed a small exercise room in the pool area, I didn't use the equipment though. My kids had fun in the pool. The free breakfast in the morning is a nice perk. When we came out to eat at 7am, the pancake maker was empty, not working. The bisquits were hard as a rock. The lady who was attending to the breakfast area just sat at the table for the longest time listening to the beeping pancake machine. She brought out fresh cinnamon rolls and then I watched her use her bare hand to touch the eggs, please wear gloves. They offered yogurt, milk, cereal, cinnamon rolls, eggs with some kind of weird cheese (I think it was cheese) sauce inside them, sausage, bisquits and sausage gravy, pancakes, muffins, toast, bagels, english muffins, bananas, oj, apple juice, cranberry juice, coffee, tea. It had something for everyone, more fruit options would have been nice. I would stay here again, IF, the beds were decent and I could get a better price on the room, it cost too much for the what we got in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your very detailed feedback. It is regrettable our hotel fell below your expectations and I apologize that our beds were not closer to what you are used to. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was short, but very pleasant. The hotel was very clean, quiet, and the staff were friendly and helpful. My only reason for not giving an overall of 5 was due to the poor cooling/ventilation in the workout room. Other than that, family friendly, business friendly, and a wonderful stay. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and glad you had a great stay.
Kewaskum, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here during the state high school ski championships at Mt. LaCrosse. Overall, we had a good experience. The rooms were comfortable and roomy. Even the sofabed was fairly comfortable. Location is a bit challenging to find.

A couple of details they could have done better: on the weekend when this big ski event is going on, several teams stayed at the hotel. A bigger wax room would have been great. Other hotels set aside a meeting room. The Holiday Inn Express had a utility closet. Space was limited for having so many skiers there. And the pool area was not kept neat. (I realize that having high school students at a hotel can be stressful on staff. Yet the pool deck had towels and empty plastic bottles all over the place. It didn't look like anyone cared to clean up.)

On the good side, since the ski event started fairly early in the morning, the management stocked the breakfast area earlier than the announced time. Good job!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate the comments and look forward to you staying with us again in our newly renovated rooms. Thank you again for your nice comments and feedback.
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The exterior in the common areas of the hotel, but the rooms are a bit dirty. There was mold growing in the ceiling above the shower and the bathroom fixtures had caulk missing. The sheets were missing from the spare set and the flowers had stains on them. Don't know what the stains were from. The free breast was good. The location is excellent near the mall and many chain restaurants. I would stay here in a pinch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our location and staff service satisfactory enough for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the room accommodations.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!