“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9409 Highway 16, Onalaska, WI 54650   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Onalaska
Iowa
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent two nights at this convenient hotel. We enjoyed a huge room that has a separate sitting area. We found the room clean, comfortable and quiet. The only small problem we had was our room card kept needing to be reactivated for whatever reason. This hotel is close to a large mall and numerous great restaurants. We could adjust the heat accordingly and it wasn't "locked', which is nice in the midwest during winter. There was a pool, but we did not use it. The employees were always pleasant and helpful. They also offered a continental breakfast in the morning, which is always a plus. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and glad you had a great stay.

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Benson, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels. I will not ever stay at this one again. The room was filthy and smelled like stale smoke. I found a sock behind the curtain that wasn't ours. I found a sock under the bed that wasn't ours. I found a bottle cap and two Sprees under the bed that wasn't ours. There was something on the curtains. There were hairs in the bathroom when we got there. I could right my name in the dust by the refrig. I think you get the idea. Also the night we got tree and the next morning their handicap access was full of piled hard snow and ice. When I mentioned it to the front desk help I was met with a blank stare. No comment at all. On a bright note, it was taken care of when I went out about 3 hours later.

There has to be better hotels than this one!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. We will forward your comments to the appropriate parties. Your comments help us improve for future guests.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

In my opinion, this HIE does not come close to the pleasant stays we have had with this chain in the past. And of the six hotels we stayed in during our road trip, this was not only the worst one, but the most expensive one, too. By $30-$48.

It didn't start out well when I tried to haul some luggage up through the side door in the freezing cold, only to find that my card wouldn't open the outside door. After lugging all the stuff into the front lobby and notifying the girl at the front desk, she re-issued me another card. However, that card didn't work in the room when I got up there. They should look into replacing the card readers, as it took about 6-7 tries to get into the room with the new cards.

Now, to be fair, we do travel with a dog now, so we do take this into consideration. But there was a nasty smell that I noticed at the end of the hall where our room was located. The room itself also smelled really bad. I think it was a combination of smells, including cigarette smoke. I don't expect a spa-like room when I am staying in a pet-friendly hotel, but I also don't expect it to smell that bad.

The room was simply okay. (I would have expected a better room for the price, but we were just tired and needed a place to crash for the night.) However, the bed was not okay. There were probably 6 pillows on my bed and all of them were lumpy. The bed sheet was positioned so low on the bed that sleeping in it was like trying to sleep in a bed that had been short sheeted. I tried to pull the sheets up, but they wouldn't budge. So I had to sleep with my feet hanging over the foot of the bed in order to have sheets covering my shoulders. Not a good night's sleep, to say the least.

The next morning, my husband told me that he tried to get the front desk to give me credit on my Priority Club Rewards, but the woman at the desk couldn't find my information. So I had to spend extra time going through the system with her in order to get credit for the night. I also asked this woman if I could get the remote to change the station in the breakfast room. (At the time, I was the only one in the room, so I wanted to watch something other than FOX News.) She told me that I had to find the gentleman who, I guess, guarded the remote, for some reason. She adamently told me that the station I watched had to be a news station. Thought that was weird since they had it on the FOX "Faux" News channel??? My husband told me that the "remote guard" had taken the remote away from some kids when he was down eating because they were watching (surprise!) some kid's program. Go figure.

Our stay at this hotel was not good. Made even worse by the fact that they charged a lot for the room--even considering the pet charge. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

The bathroom had a a musty smell, shower head was discolored, and toilet tank dusty! The shower also had paint splatter and drained poorly. The room itself was oddly large and the bed frames seemed misfit for the mattresses. The front desk staff was friendly when I checked in though.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear EAW1228,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments about the bathroom were very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Port Byron, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are at the hotel now and are really enjoying our stay here. The rooms have the normal wear that you would expect from bring used. We haven't found anything that we were disappointed in. The bed does seem to be a little hard but we are used to a waterbed or pillow top mattress. Pluse we are here to we a doctor that is less than a mile away and they have us a jacuzzi room for $75 a night. Since we live about four hours from here we are staying a couple nights and finding plenty to do around town. I will add to my review after I have the breakfast, it sounds like most people really like it here. Oh and to add about the staff here, they have all been great. We got into town at 1230 and check in was supposed to be 3. They told us the room wasn't ready but the girl at the front desk tracked down a cleaning lady and she said they would clean our room next and to just give them about thirty minutes. They checked us in, gave us our key and the We went to grab a bite to eat and the room was in great shape when we got back.

• Stayed October 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express before because it's a pleasant place to stay BUT realized our room didn't have a working phone - not good in an emergency. When we turned on the unit to warm our room (it was a bit nippy in the morning) our smoke alarm started screeching immediately! And it smelled funny! When I reported it to the front desk that the smoke alarm went off, I was told that was because the heat setting in the unit hadn't been used for awhile. That might be a good answer but how would I know if it was a real problem. A smoke alarm screeching at 6:30 in the morning does make one wake up and wonder!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was quiet and very clean. We stayed a Saturday night and there seemed to be many families there. Their breakfast was excellent. Included in the buffet was sausage links, omelets, hard boiled eggs, as well as their signature cinnamon rolls and pancakes.
My room and paperwork were ready when I checked in at 2 pm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!