In my opinion, this HIE does not come close to the pleasant stays we have had with this chain in the past. And of the six hotels we stayed in during our road trip, this was not only the worst one, but the most expensive one, too. By $30-$48.
It didn't start out well when I tried to haul some luggage up through the side door in the freezing cold, only to find that my card wouldn't open the outside door. After lugging all the stuff into the front lobby and notifying the girl at the front desk, she re-issued me another card. However, that card didn't work in the room when I got up there. They should look into replacing the card readers, as it took about 6-7 tries to get into the room with the new cards.
Now, to be fair, we do travel with a dog now, so we do take this into consideration. But there was a nasty smell that I noticed at the end of the hall where our room was located. The room itself also smelled really bad. I think it was a combination of smells, including cigarette smoke. I don't expect a spa-like room when I am staying in a pet-friendly hotel, but I also don't expect it to smell that bad.
The room was simply okay. (I would have expected a better room for the price, but we were just tired and needed a place to crash for the night.) However, the bed was not okay. There were probably 6 pillows on my bed and all of them were lumpy. The bed sheet was positioned so low on the bed that sleeping in it was like trying to sleep in a bed that had been short sheeted. I tried to pull the sheets up, but they wouldn't budge. So I had to sleep with my feet hanging over the foot of the bed in order to have sheets covering my shoulders. Not a good night's sleep, to say the least.
The next morning, my husband told me that he tried to get the front desk to give me credit on my Priority Club Rewards, but the woman at the desk couldn't find my information. So I had to spend extra time going through the system with her in order to get credit for the night. I also asked this woman if I could get the remote to change the station in the breakfast room. (At the time, I was the only one in the room, so I wanted to watch something other than FOX News.) She told me that I had to find the gentleman who, I guess, guarded the remote, for some reason. She adamently told me that the station I watched had to be a news station. Thought that was weird since they had it on the FOX "Faux" News channel??? My husband told me that the "remote guard" had taken the remote away from some kids when he was down eating because they were watching (surprise!) some kid's program. Go figure.
Our stay at this hotel was not good. Made even worse by the fact that they charged a lot for the room--even considering the pet charge. We won't be staying here again.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) Hotel Onalaska
- Holiday Inn Onalaska
- Onalaska Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in the Greater LaCrosse Area. Whether corporate or leisure travel brings you to our premiere location, our friendly and professional associates are sure to make you feel appreciated and welcome. The hotel is located just minutes from the Mississippi River, historic downtown LaCrosse and UW LaCrosse. Begin your day with our Express Start Breakfast Bar featuring our signature hot cinnamon rolls, and hot breakfast items such as scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and biscuits with gravy. All of this plus fresh brewed Smart Roast coffee, juice, cold cereal, yogurt and bagels .Our newly renovated hotel features spacious, contemporary guest rooms with complimentary high speed wireless Internet access and local phone calls. Work out in our fitness center or relax in our heated indoor swimming pool and whirlpool. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel, Onalaska is located across the street (walking distance) from TGI Fridays, all guests receive a 15% discount with room key. For those who prefer to relax and dine in, Room Service is available from TGI Friday's Nightly 5pm-10pm On site meeting accommodations for up to 40 people. Stay 'smart' when you stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. Pet Friendly Hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.