“No Surprises” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)

You added Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9409 Highway 16, Onalaska, WI 54650   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
DCA
“No Surprises”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had a pleasant stay at the HI Express. I found it to be what I’d expect from this class of hotel. Not memorable for any reason good or bad but I would stay again. The building is a short drive from the airport and right off the highway, but it’s set back from the road so it’d be easy to miss if you didn’t know where to look. You could walk to the Olive Garden, and there are plenty of food choices across the street or in the nearby shopping center. There’s a gas station you can reach without getting on the main road that’s convenient for filling up on the way to the airport.

Check-in was fast, breakfast was available early in the morning, and I thought the staff in general was cordial.

The room was average. Clean but a little worn. One of the two beds had a depression in the center. The fridge was clean and I appreciated the microwave being in the room although I didn’t need it. The wi-fi was fast enough for my needs. The bathroom was clean on the surface. The underside of the toilet rim (see pictures) seems to indicate a more thorough job could be done.

Overall, I thought the HI Express was a good value for the price.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were given spacious room with two queen beds and a couch/coffee table area at a very reasonable rate. The room was clean and well-maintained, and we had a comfortable, quiet sleep. The continental breakfast had a variety of choices and the staff was courteous and accomodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Darby, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here a few days and overall was not bad ( not great either ) I see from some of the other reviews the same things. Attention to detail would be nice ( the so-called desk chair was broken and when I turned it over to see if I could fix it to use I found a few years worth of cobwebs and egg sacks ) I had the do not disturb sign on the first morning there ( until around 11am ) and no housekeeping service for that day ( I guess they only hit there early in the morning ) after that I am sure the sheets were not changed until I left ( when in a hotel it is nice to say change the sheets every other day if you're there for a few days ) WIFI was slow so beware if you have updates to install. Over all I would have to rate this as an average property. Yes the A/C units were dated and did bring up the humidity in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Seabeck, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed at this Holiday Inn Express in Onalaska. We booked it on Hot Wire, which considered this a top hotel, on par with the Radisson, Marriot, Holiday Inn, etc. I certainly wouldn't put it on par with any of them. It was conveniently located near the highway, the reception area was very nice and the breakfast served was quite adequate. On the down side, the room was not as clean as I expect in my travels. The loveseat was very badly soiled and I wouldn't sit on it without a towel underneath me. Ditto for the upholstered chairs. My complaint on the bathroom is although it is spacious there are no towel bars, so the towels either pile up on the vanity or on the floor!! So of course we wasted towels that could have been reused because there was no place to hang them. The king sized bed was very comfortable and although alot of kids were staying in the hotel it was very quiet. So overall I'd rate it about 2 and a half stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear jjber1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments about our nice reception and breakfast service. I am glad you found our hotel quiet and beds comfortable. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I am sorry that there were no towel bars in the bathroom and the room condition you received was not what you expect from our hotel. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort it may have caused you.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The rooms we got were great, breakfast was the standard spread and the girls working the desk seemed very nice. The room was spacious with a sofa sleeper, fridge, microwave and flatscreen TV. However, this is an older property and due to the age of the AC units the room was muggy. Maintenance did look at the AC unit and said many were failing was because they overheat and shutdown; and had not been properly serviced in years. His account is that they had been having issues with a vendor who had charged them but had not done the work right. The Internet login they use is lame - some odd code is required every single time you check email, or anything. I was booted off constantanly and had to relogin every time I unlocked my device. This requires locating their code, madeup of random numbers and letters, of course I lost this paper and front desk wouldn't answer the phone - They need to make it something memorable. The dryer also didn't work.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear aaainvestor,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you liked your room accommodation and our nice front desk staff. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the air conditioner and the internet connection. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in May. The people at the front desk were very helpful. Room was average, as was breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located near the shopping mall and a number of restaurants (mostly chain ones), but traffic is very heavy in the area, and it will take 15-20 minutes to get to downtown La Crosse. You can drive about a mile to a trailhead for the La Crosse River State trailm, which is good for running, walking or biking.

Room Tip: rooms facing the main road may be noisier, although the hotel is set back a bit. Also, some of the r...