“Not bad if you need a place for the night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9409 Highway 16, Onalaska, WI 54650   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Onalaska
Darby, Montana
“Not bad if you need a place for the night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here a few days and overall was not bad ( not great either ) I see from some of the other reviews the same things. Attention to detail would be nice ( the so-called desk chair was broken and when I turned it over to see if I could fix it to use I found a few years worth of cobwebs and egg sacks ) I had the do not disturb sign on the first morning there ( until around 11am ) and no housekeeping service for that day ( I guess they only hit there early in the morning ) after that I am sure the sheets were not changed until I left ( when in a hotel it is nice to say change the sheets every other day if you're there for a few days ) WIFI was slow so beware if you have updates to install. Over all I would have to rate this as an average property. Yes the A/C units were dated and did bring up the humidity in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seabeck, Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed at this Holiday Inn Express in Onalaska. We booked it on Hot Wire, which considered this a top hotel, on par with the Radisson, Marriot, Holiday Inn, etc. I certainly wouldn't put it on par with any of them. It was conveniently located near the highway, the reception area was very nice and the breakfast served was quite adequate. On the down side, the room was not as clean as I expect in my travels. The loveseat was very badly soiled and I wouldn't sit on it without a towel underneath me. Ditto for the upholstered chairs. My complaint on the bathroom is although it is spacious there are no towel bars, so the towels either pile up on the vanity or on the floor!! So of course we wasted towels that could have been reused because there was no place to hang them. The king sized bed was very comfortable and although alot of kids were staying in the hotel it was very quiet. So overall I'd rate it about 2 and a half stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear jjber1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments about our nice reception and breakfast service. I am glad you found our hotel quiet and beds comfortable. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I am sorry that there were no towel bars in the bathroom and the room condition you received was not what you expect from our hotel. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and discomfort it may have caused you.

Lera M
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The rooms we got were great, breakfast was the standard spread and the girls working the desk seemed very nice. The room was spacious with a sofa sleeper, fridge, microwave and flatscreen TV. However, this is an older property and due to the age of the AC units the room was muggy. Maintenance did look at the AC unit and said many were failing was because they overheat and shutdown; and had not been properly serviced in years. His account is that they had been having issues with a vendor who had charged them but had not done the work right. The Internet login they use is lame - some odd code is required every single time you check email, or anything. I was booted off constantanly and had to relogin every time I unlocked my device. This requires locating their code, madeup of random numbers and letters, of course I lost this paper and front desk wouldn't answer the phone - They need to make it something memorable. The dryer also didn't work.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear aaainvestor,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you liked your room accommodation and our nice front desk staff. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the air conditioner and the internet connection. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in May. The people at the front desk were very helpful. Room was average, as was breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located near the shopping mall and a number of restaurants (mostly chain ones), but traffic is very heavy in the area, and it will take 15-20 minutes to get to downtown La Crosse. You can drive about a mile to a trailhead for the La Crosse River State trailm, which is good for running, walking or biking.

Room Tip: rooms facing the main road may be noisier, although the hotel is set back a bit. Also, some of the r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We got into town late and were meeting people for dinner at 8 so we quickly checked in and left our luggage, turned on the AC and went to dinner.
When we returned much later, I noticed a black, ashy substance on the comforter. I called down to the desk and asked about it and she said that is was lint or something from the air conditioner. I asked if it was mold and she said no, definitely not. She asked if we wanted to change rooms but the thought of changing at this late hour and we had to be up early didn't appeal, so we took the comforter off the bed.
I then went to take a shower and when I pulled the shower curtain shut an filthy, damp wash cloth fell into the shower! It was disgusting. I asked my family if anyone had used a washcloth before we left and no one had. The fan did not work in the shower and the faceplate was off an outlet and dangling on the lamp cord that was plugged into it. There was no paper and pen in the room and NO comment card.
The next morning when we went down I told a young lady huddled at the desk in a cardigan with a hole in the shoulder about our experience, she wrote down all our issues and said it sounded like the room needed maintenance. She made it sound so normal and common place! Then we went to have breakfast and 'Fox and Friends' was blaring instead of the news. We did get a complimentary USA Today so we were able to read the news.
On the plus side, it was a nice large room, though we weren't in it much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear 4of6,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received room accommodations which were unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel is nice and clean. The rooms may have been recently remodeled, but the mix of the decor makes one wonder who was in charge of the upgrade. Maybe it was done half way? Nonetheless, for the LaCrosse area, it is a nice hotel with an extra pull out bed, microwave and small refrigerator. You can't ask for more.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!