“Nice Hotel, Affordable Rates” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Paris, Wisconsin
“Nice Hotel, Affordable Rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Onalaska, WI for 2 nights in July 2014, We were traveling the Great River Road and had not made any reservations. We were traveling with our dog and they allow pets at no extra cost.
The room was clean and comfortable. The beds were a bit soft for our liking, but it was not a huge issue. Breakfast was good. The staff was very nice and helpful. Our dog was allowed to go with us anywhere in the hotel, of course, out of courtesy to the other guests we did not take her into the breakfast area or the pool area. They even had poop bags outside so that you could clean up after your dog. It was located near stores and restaurants and only a few minutes from downtown LaCrosse.
Very nice, would recommend to anyone traveling with a pet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I read some of the reviews for this hotel and some were really looking for something wrong. We were very happy with our stay. The rooms were cheerful and nice. I loved the 2 types of pillows and having 4 on each bed. I even checked what brand of pillows they were because I got the best nights sleep. But they were made by Comfort Inn so I guess I can't purchase one. Darn, because this pillow worked so well with my achy neck. The bed was comfy. Plenty of towels and wash cloths. The breakfast was good. It was a nice variety having strawberry waffles. The eggs were good, people just ate them up quickly along with the biscuits and gravy. The staff was pleasant and my bill arrived undery door so I didnt have to ask for it. It wasn't noisy and found the location was good. I would stay there again. Maybe get an opportunity next time to order a pillow.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I’m glad you were happy with your stay and loved our new pillows. I have gladly sold pillows to guests in the past, and now I keep extras on hand because of having multiple guests requesting to buy our pillows. Thank you again for the great review and hopefully you are in the area again, so you can have another wonderful night of sleep.
Fond du Lac, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This motel is pretty close to major highways, located in a retail area. It has some age on it and is a little beat up in some respects, like the bathroom. The staff is friendly and efficient. The breakfast area is small and you feel like other guests are on top of you while you eat. Also, many items were out at the time we ate, and it wasn't late in the morning. At over $100 a night, pricey for what you get. But the room was clean, and the shower was hot. I would stay there again if I needed the location, but wouldn't go out of my way.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the end of a hall, as many of the other guests tend to make noise in the hallways - e...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your time and review our hotel on Trip Advisor. You are correct that we are located just off interstate 90 (exit 4) which is located near many restaurants and retail stores. Unfortunately, our property does have some limitation due to its age, but we make up for it with our service and cleanliness. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to servicing you again.
Bayfield WI, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was tired from a long drive when I checked in. I got to my first floor room and found there was no frig or microwave. When I made the reservation on-line, the website I used showed that there were those things in the room (not that you have to request them).

So, I called the front desk and she said there was a room with both of those things on the 2nd floor. I was hauling a lot of luggage and misc. bags because I was staying a few days, but decided it would be worth it to move that all upstairs.(Even though I'm a 66 year old grandmother). So, I got to the 2nd floor room and....no frig or micro. Called the desk again, and she said she would find another room and bring me the key. So, I waited as I was getting more hot and more tired and more hungry. She brought me a key and said there was only the frig, but she would leave a note for someone to bring me a micro in the a.m. if that was OK. Which I said yes, it was OK.

Maggie was the front desk person helping me with this and she did her best and was very pleasant. Something is wrong with the system though.

As someone else mentioned, no light by the closet and those silly hangers you have to unhook make using the closet very irritating.

Also, nowhere near enough electrical outlets. I had to either unplug the lamp or the TV to use the coffeemaker. No outlets by the bed.

AC was working, but didn't ever seem to get the room as cool as the setting said.

I did have to use earplugs to block out the noise from other guests slamming doors.

Overall, it does look like it's seen better days.

Room Tip: If you want a frig and micro, make sure you request them ahead of time. And be prepared to use the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your time and review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologize for the less than perfect stay. First, we try to accommodate any request as best as possible i.e. first floor, microwave and / or refrigerator, quite room. However, it is not a guarantee that will be able to accommodate every request, every time due to unforeseen circumstances. Second, we are in the process of adding outlets to meet the recharge needs of today’s travelers and will be a standard by the end of 2014. Lastly, I will look for a lighting solutions for our closets since their currently isn’t a light which can be irritating. Thank you again and be sure that I will use your comment to improve our hotel.
Ripon, Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is my 2nd review for this hotel. Once again the staff went above and beyond in customer service. My car alarm malfunctioned and woke up a few of their guests but both guys (I forget their names, but they'll remember) were fantastic to me and once again very helpful.

I didn't get the handicap access room this time...booked too late...but the room was very clean and comfortable. The beds were wonderful and the hotel itself was, as always, clean.

While this hotel looks rundown from the outside, the staff does a wonderful job of making sure everything within their power is great on the inside.

It would be really, really nice if the hotel would spring for a couple of automatic door openers for handicapped persons. The staff is great about greeting you and opening the door if they know you are there, but they have other duties and can't always be there. Being handicapped, driving a mobility scooter and trying to open the front door by yourself at 2am is not the safest or smartest situation in the world.

Please consider installing this before someone makes a complaint to the ADA compliance board:

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Onalaska Comfort Inn and I’m glad your return stay was as wonderful as the first. It’s always great to hear that my staff went above and beyond with their customer service and overall hotel cleanliness. Both are easy for us to control and make the difference between a good stay and a great stay. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Onalaska.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Everyone is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfy! Location is also great! Breakfast was also well stocked and I enjoyed my blueberry waffle. The AM front desk worker (Kyle, I think was very friendly even though he was very busy. I will be recommending this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. It is always nice to hear from a guest that had a great memorable stay. I will be sure to share your review with Kyle and thanks him for his friendly service. Thank you again and I hope we see you soon.
Cottage Grove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Arrived WD May 21, 2014, on the final leg of our "Great River Road" trip. Unfortunately, this Comfort Inn appears to be in the guts of the business district. At the time of our stay, a parking lot was being constructed at a new business across the street, ... and our room overlooked a downed fence to the loading dock of the neighboring Sam's Club business. Building, in general, was tired and in need of some grounds improvements.
We we pleasantly received and professionally checked in to our room. The room had an extreme musty odor, maybe due to the room ventilation being shut off. After running ventilation, the odor did lighten up, but, never did go away completely. The bathroom floor had debris on floor at the back of toilet. Rest of room was clean, but, as mentioned earlier, was not very quiet due to the neighborhood activity. AC for room was somewhat noisy, but not to the point of intolerable ... Had to manipulate window curtains so they wouldn't blow open all night. Beds were comfortable.
Morning continental breakfast was adequate, but, eggs were dry and pastries seemed to be " day old " ( they too were dry ). Check out was professional and pleasant. Would not stay here again, though the value may have been good ... Would rather have better conditions, with less activity in the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. First, I would like to apologize of behalf of my entire hotel for being less than exceptional. I’m happy to hear that you were pleasantly receive and professionally checked in, however I am disappointed about the room cleanliness you experience. I will check and clean the PTAC unit to ensure it is running correctly and not causing any further unpleasant odors. Thank you again and I hope you give us a second chance to provide you with an exceptional stay.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!