“Met my expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Onalaska
Kewaskum, WI
“Met my expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for a ski competition at Mt. LaCrosse. It was the third trip to the area in a month, and the third different hotel. This one was about 40% cheaper than the other two we stayed at. It wasn't as nice as the others, but it met my expectations. (We also stayed at this same lodging a year ago.)

The one thing that changed was that the hot tub / spa was closed. The manager on duty tried to explain to me the reason for it. Apparently if they don't install a lift for the disabled, no one can use the hot tub. I found this interesting since we've stayed at 3 other hotels during the ski season in Wisconsin, and never heard of this. Not to mention the main swimming pool didn't have a lift and was still open. (By the way, at least two places on the website still indicate a spa, though it's not an operating spa). On the good side, the pool was warm enough for us to enjoy swimming.

Our room and the breakfast were both adequate, about what we expect from a Comfort Inn. Nothing special, but clean and satisfactory. We were on the I-90 side of the building and didn't hear traffic, so that was good.

We'd probably be back next ski season, since the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel and sharing your experience. I am glad that we were able to provide a clean room at an affordable price for you and your family. Our pool will remain open and a lift will be installed to meet the ADA requirements, but unfortunately our hot tub will remain closed. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

As an employee of a Comfort Inn at a different location, I would have to say this hotel could have been better. I hate to be one of those people who complain about things, but some things shouldnt go unmentioned. Upon entering the room I did my room inspection like I would do at my hotel. Room was reasonably clean with the exception of crumbs on the desk and hair all of over in the bathroom (shower, floor, toilet and sink/countertop) I could tell the shower hadnt actually been cleaned at all. Also I found it disappointing that the hot tub/spa was down for the weekend due to it being painted. That should have been a project to be completed during the week. I will say all of the staff was very friendly and helpful. So all-in-all not a horrible hotel, but could have been better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time and reviewing our hotel. We appreciate all comments and suggestions from each and every guest. I do want to apologize for the cleanliness issues your experience. I have addressed the issues you had experience with my housekeeping staff to make sure future guests do not experience the same issues. As for the pool and spa, I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We tried to pick a time of the year and week, were the least amount of guests would be affected from the pool and spa maintenance. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience on TripAdvisor.
Sterling IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife had surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. On January 8, we were driving home (about 400 miles) and were told that we should take a break every hour or so. She was very uncomfortable riding so about an hour out we decided to stay near the interstate and finish the trip after a better night's rest. We saw a Comfort Inn and decided to check it out. The front desk clerk was friendly and helpful, even providing a map of the locale. I asked for a double room away from the Interstate, needing rest and relaxation above all. I was provided a super room. It was l;arge, up-to-date, squeaky clean and cheery, and tucked away from the hustle and bustle. As a frequent passer-by, I never noticed this general area before. There is every major restaurant chain and fast food nearby, as well as most national chain stores. We are happy we chose this inn. The price was great, the front desk was more than helpful, even coming up with a wine opener. The complimentary breakfast was above average. A maintenance man even helped with the rear entrance door when we left. I will stay there again when the next opportunity arises. The experience more than equalled the price. Great Value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking your time and reviewing our hotel. We appreciate that you stay with us and especially want to thank you for your kind review. It is great to hear that our accommodations were adequate and that our team member's were able to positively affect your stay. From everyone at the Comfort Inn, we wish your wife a fast and healthy recovery.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Pulled into the hotel. Checked in. Went to crawl into bed. Did my usual inspection of bed sheets, found hair all over bed sheets. Walked into bathroom. Hair on toilet seat. Called the front desk to get new bed spread. 30 min later Still no new bed spread. I will have to say out of all my numerous hotel stays this year (60 +), this is the worst one I have dealt with. All I wanted to do is crawl in to bed and sleep!

• Stayed October 2012
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I understand the inconvenience of not have hair free sheets. When you contacted the front desk and requested new sheets, the front desk should of acted in a more reasonable/ timely fashion. I will address the issues you experienced with my front desk staff and make sure future guests do not experience they same issues. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.
Marinette
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The staff is extremely friendly. The room was clean and pleasant. We had a queen sized bed, flat screen TV, sofa that pulled out to another bed if needed, refrigerator, microwave, individual-serve coffee maker and if you needed it (for additional cost) a safe in the room. They also have free Wi-Fi and a small pool and hot tub on the first floor. The only drawback was there was no elevator and we were on the 2nd floor. That was a bit of a hassle with carrying the luggage for the weekend. But if you don't mind the stairs, the price was great. Just call way ahead if you need first floor accommodations. No ice on the 2nd floor either. Strange.... However, it's close to good shopping in La Crosse and easy to find.

Room Tip: Call way ahead to get first floor accommodations (recommended).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We appreciate that you stay with us and especially want to thank you for your nice comments. I know it is an inconvenience not to have an elevator, but we do try to accommodate any guest requests during their stay. Happy future travels to you and we hope you stay with us again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Smallest pool ever if you have kids stay at the Days Inn on French Island near the airport, breakfast at this place is Primitive,rooms are terribly generic an can be a little cramped plus parking is terrible. plus being a stone's throw from the interstate you wont get some guaranteed shut eye my advice avoid this piece of crap and stay at the Radisson in nearby La Crosse.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We pride ourselves on providing clean rooms and friendly customer service at an affordable price. I'm sorry our hotel accommodations were not to your liking. Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

At first when we got to our room it smelled a little musty/moldy but we opened the window,aired it out and the smell went away.other than that not a bad stay.be aware of the safe charge which you can have removed at checkout

• Stayed September 2012
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying stay. We work hard to neutralize any odors in our guest rooms and its disappointing to hear that you had a musty smell in your room. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Onalaska area.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!