“Got Cold Showers?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Newport News, Virginia
“Got Cold Showers?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Dear reader - Just passing you the results of my stay (and technically my last stay 2 weeks ago. I stayed one night two weeks ago. When i got up in the morning, the shower was luke warm. Ive stayed here several ties before and never had this problem. It has been a good place for the money... dirt cheap! Upon my departure, i let the staff know about the warm shower. I figured it as just bad timimg (then again, NO chain hotel should EVER run out of hot water).

I returned two days ago. When I got up yesterday, I was greeted by a COLD shower. Not hot. Not warm. Cold. I contacted the front desk and the very nice maintenance man came up to make sure I was using the controls correctly. He apologized for the situation. I thought about bagging up and going to a different hotel, but he called before I left to say it had been fixed so I stayed...

I got up this morning to the finf the same tepid showed of two weeks ago. I'm not sue if the management has them turning down the water heaters, but this is unacceptable and I can't consider going back on the risk of warm/cold showers. Very unfortunate .

please note that i think this is the first overall one star i have given to date for a hotel or restaurant. I'm not the type that either loves or hates in reviews. The staff as nice. Rooms are clean. Breakfast is nice. It's dirt free and dirt cheap... BUT THE SHOWERS ARE COLD.

If you find this review helps you, please come back and say so. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2012
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello GJMaxx,

I’m glad that we were able to provide you with a clean, comfortable room and that you enjoyed our breakfast. Unfortunately, you experience a cold shower during your stay. I understand how upsetting it is to not have a hot shower in the morning. Please accept my sincere apologies. I want to promise you that we have not turned down the hot water heaters. The issue you experienced is that the hot and cold dial on the shower get twisted out of whack and hot is cold and cold is hot. Again, I would like to apologizes for inconvenience and look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is your normal Comfort Inn. It has great prices and doesn't charge for pets.

Pros:
- Clean
- Safe
- Nice breakfast
- Good value
- No pet fee

Cons:
- Rooms could use some updating and minor repairs

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Non-smoking hotel. First room we were given stunk and definitely had had smokers in it previously. Desk worker was accommodating and offered a different room. Turns out it was an upgrade. The new room had several long dark hairs in the bathroom and on the bathroom counter. My husband and I both have very short hair so the hair was not ours. After I whacked my ankle on something hard while walking around the bed, upon lifting up the bed skirt, we discovered the mattress set was off the bed frame by at least six inches. We put the mattress set back on the frame. The mattress was absolutely horrible - WAY too soft. We think it was soft as in "needs to be replaced" soft. We tossed and turned all night and were incredibly stiff and sore the next morning. It took at least a week to get the kinks out after sleeping on that mattress.

Bathroom lighting was poor. I don't remember the ratio now but there were three of one kind of bulb and one of another. Fluorescent:regular.

Upon check in we did ask for recommendations as to a restaurant and were given a local map with restaurants on it. It is a pet friendly hotel so we were not surprised when we heard dogs barking down the hall. We were surprised when we heard a smoke detector go off in a room a couple doors down from us.

We did stay there last year and all was well then. It does have a convenient location to the freeway. We did not eat the continental breakfast.

Next time we go to that area (we have a child in college there so there will be a next time), we would rather spend the extra money and stay closer to campus than spend a week getting the kinks out after a night of tossing and turning.

A letter to the hotel has elicited no response and our comments on the follow up survey after our stay have also not been replied to.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

The staff is more or less cooperating depending who is there. The check-in has proved difficult. The attendant who seemed more interested in his meal that by customers has botched the process. There was a pricing error on my bill that the staff has corrected the next day without any problems. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The high-speed connection was stable and very good. The dining area was appropriate for the people and lunch was very good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Vierago,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry that the check in process was not a pleasant experience for you. Our principal goal at our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guest at a reasonable price. It's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. Also, be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This motel is not only convenient but offers everything we need. It includes a refrigerator, excellent wi-fi and an above average breakfast. It is Freeway close and near a selection of restaurants. It is also close to a couple of Wisconsin's great bike trails.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I wish I would have. There was mold growing on the window treatments, and it smelled like it. I don't know how the air conditioning can be turned on it's highest setting and the room still had that horrible damp, sticky, stinky smell. I though air conditioning was supposed to remove moisture from the air. Breakfast was okay, but we ran out the door as soon as we were done eating. It was a one night pit stop for my family, but if I had to stay there for more than one night I would have checked out right away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here for State Track Meet because there were not a lot of options as every place is booked solid. Location was good. Right off Interstate and very near restaurants and shopping. Didn't spend much time there other than to sleep. Bed was pretty comfortable. Lots of pillows. Free breakfast was adequate. Room was a bit worn, and the whole place could use an update, but I didn't have any major complaints or problems. Would have rather stayed at the Radisson, but it wasn't available. The Comfort Inn was very average but OK for what I needed.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!