“Friday night dinner” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 75 Restaurants in Oconomowoc
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Irish, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In April of 2010 when the space was completely renovated, and a large wraparound (soon to be legendary) deck was added overlooking the shores of beautiful Silver Lake. The dining room evokes a timeless design with rich dark cherry wood and centered on an enormous natural stone fireplace. There is also a banquet room that seats 200 with a hardwood dance floor and stage where live music is played every weekend. The bar is a classic design and perfect for enjoying happy hour, before and after dinner drinks, sporting events, and live music events. Burke's menu features American classics, such as aged grilled steaks like the signature "John Burke", stuffed meatloaf, the "Dorothy Burke" (our shrimp scampi feature) and Pabst Beer braised ribs. Regional American foods like cast iron salmon and the classic Friday hand battered fish fry are favorites of many. World cuisine items such as shepherd's pie, chicken schnitzel, artisanal flatbread pizzas and tapas platters can also be found on the menu, along with Burke's classic originals like lobster and shrimp wontons, crab cakes, and lobster macaroni. Whether you have a business meeting, special occasion, or just want a break from the ordinary, Burke's Lakeside is ready to make your night memorable. "It's cooler by the lake!"
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Friday night dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I have been going to Burke's since they opened. They did a super job on the interior.
We liked it so much that we would go once a week. Either for the Friday Fish Fry or another night for something different. The menu had a variety of items to choose from and the food was always good.
But, the menu has changed it is small and very limited. One night I had the whitefish instead of the fish fry it was ok, the next time I tried it it was room temp and tasted fishy. I noticed on the menu that one night( I think Tuesday) the whitefish is a special and then it was a Chef's special on Friday night. Makes me question the freshness of the fish. Now they charge for any change you want to make. If you want baked instead of fries, if you want more veggies instead of any kind of potatoe etc.
Really! you are going to lose a customer because you think a baked potatoe is work $2.00 more than a pile of fries. The icing on the cake my daughter ordered the whitefish is comes with green beans with almonds. We specifically said she is allergic to almonds please NO almonds. The plate comes with almonds! Sorry to say we won't be back. I don't know what happened it use to be a great place we looked forward to once a week.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“new menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our recent visit on a Sunday afternoon was a pleasant surprise. I had purchased a Groupon and we decided to give Burke's another try. Our first several experiences were ok. We started at the bar and just decided on a couple of beers to start with, the beer was cold and there was a great selection. The only problem was the bartender was in a hurry to settle our tab due to her shift ending in 15 minutes. We would have stayed for another beer but decided to go to a table where someone might want to serve us. We ordered off the lunch menu due to the time that we were there. I ordered a combination with a flat bread pizza and wedge salad my husband had a steak sandwich with waffle fries and a cup of chowder. Everything was excellent!!! The steak sandwich was tasty and tender, the pizza and the salad was fresh and tasty. i had a glass of wine with lunch and the waiter was knowledgeable and helpful with the wine selection. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited February 2013
West Allis
“Valentines Day Dinner- First Visit W/New Owners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

As a former Restaurant guy and even a former employee of a restaurant that once stood here my wife and I were very pleased with the renovation. To be honest as we were once in this business we were very picky in our review (as you all should be). Aside for a few minor glitches our evening was terrific. Service was very good (I have a rule 25% tip or nothing). My wife's fillet was superb and my 'Shepherd's Pie' was good even with some undercooked potatoes. We ordered a bottle of wine as to avoid a 'short pour' we witnessed at the bar. Everyone has 'pet peeves' and we have ours. Paper table coverings my wife feels are tacky, I don't much care in a 'casual fine dining' restaurant/pub. My 'pet peeve' is 'fake Baileys' (when I order Baileys I want 'real' Baileys and I don't care what it costs). No Port/Porto for after dinner. The desert the server suggested turned out to be still frozen (to his surprise) so here's the kicker. The staff was very gracious in removing the Shepard's pie and the desert from the check and provided a cheesecake as a substitution which was very good. So all in all our visit was very good and we are planning to have a large family gathering there in June. Most of all we wish these folks all the best and in hopes that they will be super successful.

• Visited February 2013
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“Summer favorite spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Good food & atmosphere. Service was a little slow. I like the setting on the lake. Burgers are good.

Visited August 2012
Winona, Minnesota
“Nice Location and Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wife and I had dinner here during the week. Food was great and the price was reasonable. Has the bar and lounge atmosphere along with the family dinner style as well. The wait staff does not match the quality of food, but are not rude or unprofessional. They simply don't match the style of the restaurant. Overall very good.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BurkesLakeside, General Manager at Burke's Lakeside, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for the kind words! We're very happy that you enjoyed your experience with us at Burke's. We are always working to improve the service at our restaurant and will continue to work to achieve consistent, outstanding service.

Hope to see you again soon!