“I'd stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“I'd stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I booked two rooms the night of a wedding mid-July, 2014, without doing any reconnaissance first. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor a couple days before the event and was afraid I'd made a big mistake. Happily, not so. The front desk staff, mid-afternoon Saturday, was extremely pleasant and professional. They allowed me to check in perhaps 20-30 minutes before the 3:00 pm official check-in time with no surcharge, contrary to what one reviewer claims would never happen. They did record my cc number for incidentals, which is standard procedure anywhere; I incurred none and, a month later, have not been charged for any. The rooms, in the 200's ("main" floor) were comfortable and spacious. The beds were comfortable. The linens and towels were impeccably clean. We had flat-screen TV's, which we never turned on. The rooms were passably clean. The carpet is installed vertically about 3-4 inches high where baseboard is traditionally installed, and the use of the "edger" tool on the vacuum would be helpful here.

The two stars of my stay were Ed, our portable bartender in the ballroom, and Joan, our banquet server. These two made me truly feel welcome and appreciated. Ed and Joan are authentic, genuine people with an uncommon generosity of spirit, a reflection of their understanding that some or all of their livelihoods comes from the people they serve with gracious dignity and, dare I say, joy - at life's milestone events. These two make up for anything that might have been less than perfect. I saw no trash lining the hallways or other spaces. I experienced no loud, disorderly, unruly children nor adults anywhere. The ballroom coffee was the best I've ever had; Joan reports, Everyone says that. The late-night front desk staff was very cordial and kind. The early morning front desk staff, not so much.

Bottom line: This is an acceptable place to stay. It is not a 5-star property, and the pricing ($110/night) reflects this. I would stay here again if attending an event headquartered here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Candiceviola, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Dear JanetKn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our Resort. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and that our accommodations met your standards. It's always nice to hear when members of our staff go above and beyond for our guests and make their stay enjoyable. I will forward these generous compliments to the appropriate Department heads so that Ed and Joan are aware of how great of a job they did. Thank you again for the feedback and we here at Olympia hope to see you again soon in your future travels.
Jesse Achterberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lockport, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We booked this hotel as a last minute stay and I was never more disappointed. First we got there and I stood at reception desk for what was about 15 minutes while the gentleman continued to "work" and ignore me. This was after I asked him if this was where we check in to which he replied "yes" and continued to ignore me. It wasn't until another host came out and asked if I needed any help. We were given our keys and started down the hallway which was stained and had leftover food trays in the hall from room service. The room itself was suitable although thesis of the TV was laughable and when we went to turn on a couple of lights, the bulbs didn't work. When I went to run a shower for my kids, rust came out of the water at first. We asked when the pool was closed and one staff member told us one time while another staff member told us a different time. The pool was seriously outdated with pipes showing everywhere and cobwebs. And to boot there were no towels at the pool that night. When we went to the pool the next morning, there were still no towels and the garbage was still in the hallway from the night before. Run as far as you can from this hotel!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the 4th floor it is scary!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dminnito,
Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. I would like to sincerely apologize that your experience at Olympia was not up to par. I will make sure that your concerns do not get overlooked, and that the appropriate Departments receive this feedback in an effort to better our resort. Also going forward we are continuing to update various areas of our facility from the guest rooms to the O spa and many more areas. If you would like to talk to me further about your stay or about any updates we are making, please feel free to call me at anytime. I hope you have a great night and hope you consider us again for your future travels.
Jesse Achterberg

Travelers are raving about these Oconomowoc hotels

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This was my first stay at the Olympia Resort. I want to start by saying that the website doesn't state clearly that if you're a guest, you get the pool for free. I didn't know until I asked at the front desk when I checked in. The pool is nice and there are plenty of chairs, a bar with resonably priced drinks, and a small grill menu. They have indoor and outdoor pools, but unfortunately the kids are allowed at all times, so expect to see unsupervised kids wandering the halls and being kids at all hours.

The hotel itself needs updating. The carpeting in the hallways is worn and stained, the shower in my room had a leaky faucet which led to discoloring, and the paint in the bathroom was badly chipping. However, the room didn't have a retro a/c unit, old showerhead, or a box tv like some photos posted. Not sure if it depends on the floor/room or not though. They could also do with adding a slide or volleyball net to the pool area.

The front desk people seemed clueless. We had only two tissues in the box before it ran out and when I asked for a new box, they said they couldn't find any. Also, the toilet paper roll was not new or folded over like 99% of hotels do. I don't care if you're going green, I want peace of mind that stuff has been cleaned since the last guest.

The restaurant unfortunately only features a fish fry buffet on Fridays, so I couldnt get what I wanted off the regular menu so I went to downtown Oconomowoc instead. The bar, Club Indigo, had karaoke and was entertaining with a fog machine and light set. They had a $4 flavored vodka special, which I was informed were "only flavors they wanted to get rid of", not like Smirnoff or anything better than the caramel, whip cream, and vanilla options. They did at least off to make one of our two drinks whatever we wanted for the special price. We got pretzels off the late night menu and they were really good.

Overall, a fun stay, but I don't think I will be rushing back any time soon.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Blair, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Clean and comfortable. Rooms were large and clean, they accepted my pet for a minimal fee. Pool and spa are extra. Restaurants inside the hotel are reasonably priced and have excellent service and food.

Room Tip: It can be a long distance from the hotel entry to your room. When we checked in the carts were in sh...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tammy H,
Thank you for choosing Olympia Resort and Spa for your travel needs, and thank you for taking time out of your day to comment on your stay. Its always awesome to hear about our guests and what they enjoyed about their stay. Thank you for the kind compliments on our Restaurant. I will make sure that Ricks Restaurant staff and also the cooks see your kind words. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Eureka, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Our room & stay was perfect for what we needed. We had to come up for a funeral. The price was excellent, room was clean, and breakfast was super. Staff was super helpful and friendly. We did get locked out of our room as soon as we checked in, but housekeeping and security guys let us in our room to wait as they took our keycards and got them re-paired and they worked perfectly. Would stay again in a heartbeat if the opportunity comes.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Candiceviola, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Dear Shannon M,
Thank you so much for your recent review of Olympia Resort and Spa. Its so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We here at Olympia strive for the best customer service. I'm happy that our accommodations were on the mark for your stay. We hope to see you again soon in the future.
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The worse hotel I have stayed at in over 40 years! Avoid this hotel! Needs renovation badly.

It had bed bugs, bathtub had very slow drain, had leak in above restroom dripping into bathroom below, they charge you to use the workout room (that is a 1st ever), staff was rude, had to call for maid service.

Room Tip: Choose room in another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This once was a grand place for summer romance. Great place for a inexpensive and quick get away from Chicago, Milwaukee or Madison, and completely under the radar. You can tell by reading the reviews from other travelers that the hotel is in need of some updates and TLC. Oconomowoc is an awesome lake town with a vibrant music scene, with lots of free shows in the summer and just a cool place to hang out for the weekend. Try and look beyond the decay and see this place for what it once was... while it's still here. You could stay here or the cookie cutter garden inn. This place gets my vote... and check out the really great pool. Awesome, and if you have kids they will love it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!