“A Relaxing Night Away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Oconomowoc
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A Relaxing Night Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I spontaneously decided that we wanted a fun, romantic night out. I had heard about Olympia because of a wedding we went to last year and had a lot of fun and remembered what a great experience we had during the wedding. Not only was the wedding a lot of fun, but when it was over, everybody headed over to the bar where there was a DJ. We all requested a ton of songs and I am not sure if he played them all, but regardless, it was a great time. The bar looks AWESOME! I love all the blue and the lighting in there is great... it's a very luxe looking place with a bit of a young hip vibe. Anyway, we stayed on a Friday night and had reserved a whirlpool room. WOW! So nice!! A tub fit for two! ;) Before we spent any time in the room though, we had dinner in the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious. The service was great as well. We had a very nice waitress with a great, up-beat personality. She made us feel really special. Then we headed to the bar again. This time there was Karaoke! And it seemed like they had more lights in there, too. We had a great time and met a few of the 'regulars' and the Karaoke DJ was a lot of fun -- and what a great voice!

As for the room itself, yea, it was a bit out-dated looking but it was very clean and everything was in working order. Why do people complain about the furniture in the room? I couldn't care less (unless it's broken). I just think that is such a silly thing for people to focus on when this place has EVERYTHING you could want in a night or weekend away at such an affordable rate. The whirlpool room was $169 for us, as I had a discount. I also had services in the O Spa the next morning and it was absolutely wonderful. I especially loved the Eucalyptus room in the Spa! Whew! Made me feel great after that relaxing hot rock massage. All in all, this is a great place if you don't want to spend a ton of money just for a night or weekend away. I am truly shocked to see any negative reviews. My husband and I will definitely be returning! Maybe on a regular basis! ;)

p.s. The mattresses are like sleeping in heaven. I wish ours at home was this comfortable! I slept like a baby!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear Lexie T,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the Wonderful stay you had at our Resort. I will make sure that each of the department manager's do receive a copy of this so they can show each employee of what a great job they are doing. I do hope to see you on each anniversary and special occasion weekend that you are both able to get away.

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

First off, the owner is clueless and it's clear he doesn't not know how to run a business and is quite rude. I actually heard him put down one of his employees right in front of everyone...how tacky!! Secondly, the room was falling apart, we had tiles in the bathroom falling off and the spa is so outdated, it seems the owner is more interested in covering up problems instead of fixing the actual issue. I travel often and always give my reccomendations to people.... And my reccomendations for Olympia Resort is to find a new owner and get some one with a clue on how to run a resort!!!!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Travelqueenn,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review for the Olympia Resort & Spa. I would first like to Apologize for the unpleasant experience you had at our resort. At this time we are in the renovation stage at the resort. We are currently working on all of the guest rooms, in which the third and most of the second floor have been completed. We are also starting all renovations on the spa area soon. I hope that you will give Olympia another chance after all of the renovations are complete. If you would like to discuss your stay further I would love to hear from you.
Revenue Manager
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently stayed at this property the week on June-18, 2012

First, we had reserved a King room a full year in advance. When we checked in we were told that they did not have any King rooms and that reserving a King room does not mean that you will get one.

The first room provided to use had an offensive odor reminiscent of used cooking oil. It was late and we had been very busy that day and assumed it would dissipate. It did not. In addition, the next morning when we went to use the cold water tap, the water was discolored to the point of appearing brown with many suspended particulates.

We reported these two items, including taking a glass of the water, to the front desk around 8:30AM and requested to speak with the manager. We were told he was not yet on site and he would call us.

After not hearing anything for the next 3 hours, we stopped by the front desk. At that time they agreed it was appropriate to move us to a new room.

After moving in to the second room, I was taking pictures to document the state of room. One of the items I noted was an electrical outlet with exposed wiring and no cover-plate. By it's location, I should have guessed what it was for but didn't. By this time, I had talked with the Property manager multiple times. The last time, he informed me that the owner was not willing to do anything regarding any form of compensation for time and trouble. Not even a free drink at the lounge. I emailed that manager the picture of the outler inquiring about it. I never received any reply via email or phone call from him after that but, 29 hours after we were moved into this room, they installed a smoke detector at the outlet site! Yes, there was not a smoke detector in the room they placed us in. This is in violation of Wisconsin state law.

Even after reporting the obvious fire code violation, the property manager and owner were completely unwilling to do anything in the way of customer service. My impression is that they just don't care.

Do not believe the pictures on the web site. Our first room had zero wall decorations like paintings etc. The second room had two cheap office desk chairs as the only chairs in the room!

Also, neither room had any Emergency exit plan map attached to the back of the door nor did it have the room rates and policy attached. Both of these are standard practice in the hotel industry. I could not readily find on the Wisconsin state web site whether either of these are requirements under state law. I can confirm that lack of a smoke detector violated state law.

Lastly, the TV's are old tube TV's with standard def signals.

To be fair, I will mention the positives. The restaurant seemd reasonably priced and the breakfast was good. The pool does look inviting and overlooks a little lake.

What follows is an excerpt of the email document sent to the property manager. It was after I sent this email that I discovered the missing smoke detector.

A summary recap is shown below.

1. June 2011 - we made a guaranteed reservation for a King room.

2. June 18, 2012. - When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that they did not have a King room and further that just because one makes a guaranteed reservation for a King room does not mean that the hotel will honor that.

3. June 18, 2012 - we entered room 237 and noted a distinct, offensive odor that was similar to used cooking oil. We were very busy that day, and therefore did not immediately report it.

After spending the night, it was clear that said odor was still present.

4. June 19, 2012. - approximately 8:30AM while starting to get ready for the day's events, we noted severely discolored and cloudy water coming from the cold water tap. Naturally, we had to abort all personal hygiene preparation.

5. June 19, 2012. - approximately 8:30AM to 9:00AM we reported the water problem, odor problem, and another issue(worker noise at 7:30AM) to the front desk. I asked to speak with the manager and was informed that you were not on the property as you usually begin0 work at 9AM. I was given your business card, I left my cell number, and I was told you would contact me.

6. June 19, 2012. - approximately 11:30AM I returned to the front desk as I had not had any communication from the property. At that time, the desk clerk worked the move to room 356.

7. June 19, 2012. - approximately 11:40AM I began to move our things from room 237 to 356. I decided to check the cold water tap again. I still noted obvious discoloration and particulates.

8. June 19, 2012. - sometime between 5PM and 7PM, I again returned to the front desk as I had not had any communication from the property. I asked if Mr. Barton was available and the you and I had our face to face discussion where I informed you of the problems.

9. June 19, 2012. - approximately 8:20PM you left voicemail indicating that other guests had been placed in room 237 and therefore you would be checking the room on Wednesday when housekeeping entered.

10. June 20, 2012. - approximately 8:30AM we noted a distinct discoloration and presence of particulates in the water from the cold water tap in room 356. The extent was not as severe as room 237 and it dissipated after a few minutes.

Notes:
A. June 19, 2012. - approximately 7:20AM we noted noise from workers near our hotel room. Later, we were told that workers were not supposed to start before 9AM.

Room Tip: 1. Ask if you will get the class of room that you reserve. 2. Ask for thorough description of the f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Pursuant to the complaint received (File 549652), I respectfully submit the following.

C M was in fact a guest of our property from June 18, 2012 until June 21, 2012. While it is our intent to provide excellent service and accommodations to each our guest, it was apparent from day one that C M was not pleased with our facility. In fact, after multiple unfounded claims I offered to allow him to check out early with a refund, to which he declined. As a consumer myself, I feel if I had the magnitude of problems and continuous issues as alleged, my choice would have been to seek improved accommodations. He chose not to take that action after offered. These claims were from receiving the incorrect room, tarnished water to missing smoke detector. The following information supports our position.

1. As a career industry professional spanning 30+ years, it is not our practice and has never been our advertised promise to "guarantee" any specific room type. While franchise properties, such as Hilton have adopted that practice, we can not and have not in my eight years. This policy has been in place for the benefit of understanding in advance for our guest. We do consider request and do a very nice job of meeting those requests, however with limited King Size guest rooms and the variables associated with undetermined check out dates, we believe as many hotel operations, determined attempts to meet guest requests is the best approach. This procedure is actually designed to eliminate guest dissatisfaction. I would like to also respectfully emphasize, we are not obligated by franchise mandates and after 39 years of successful business operations feel no need to modify.

2. Upon receiving C M's water complaint we did investigate several rooms throughout the building to determine if we had experienced any water related issues. We were unable to check his initial room based on a guest had already checked into the room however we were able to check several rooms on the same floor, and random rooms vacant throughout the building. We detected zero problems and furthermore did not receive any guest complaint or comment from any other room before, during and after his departure. However as a precaution, we did speak to City officials at this time and they verified no systematic problems were present. Upon receipt of this complaint, I requested a water test to be completed to include water inside of our facility. According to utility department, we have excellent water. (Please feel free to contact Mr. Steve Rousch with City of Oconomowoc - 262-424-8575)

3. C M was moved to a different room from his initial water related problem room. After at least 24 hours he reported an electrical outlet problem in his new room, which is peculiar based on his penchant for detail. Upon report, I deployed maintenance to correct the problem. Subsequently we discovered his fire detection equipment was removed. I will provide you the fact our annual inspection was performed in April 2012 and that specific room passed all inspections as well as our entire property. From an operations stand point, we inspect all guest rooms frequently and firmly believe that a missing fire detector would be an obvious sight and of course would be rectified prior to any guest checking in to room. Over eight years, this is the first and only report of a missing detector. I encourage you to speak to Tim Fleming whose company has performed fire inspections for many years. I believe his acknowledgement and understanding of our business safety practices will support our position this claim is frivolous.
Tim Fleming
Flemings Fire I, Inc
W334 N6956 Stone Bank Rd
Oconomowoc, WI 53066
262-966-7633 office
414-333-5102 cell

In closing, we respect C M as a guest and regret he was not satisfied with our property. We satisfy thousands of guests on annual basis and continue to adapt to the market, guest trends and service techniques. Unfortunately we also understand we can not satisfy all guests even though we try. It appears, based on a lack of sequential and sufficient evidence, our refusal to refund money escalated his frustration. We do not feel we misled, were untruthful or deceptive in any manner.

If I may provide you with further information please feel free to contact me at 262-369-4961. Thank you for your time and consideration,

Sincerely

Michael R. Barton
General Manager-VP
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We choose Olympia Resort & Spa on spur of the moment. It was listed in our GPS so we found it and checked the rates. The original rate given to us by the receptionist was pricey but after my husband and I debated with eachother on whether we should stay she gave us an "internet" rate which was $30 cheaper. I am not sure why resort is in the name. It was an average hotel with an indoor and outdoor pool and it had a night club and resturant all of which were not every popluar considering there were three weddings going on there at the same time. Also considering there was three weddings going on there was only one receptionist which made for slow service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed here for our dog show. Pricey, but we thought "Hey, it's a once in lifetime chance to stay in a Resort Hotel". Boy were we disappointed. I should have suspected something when I called to check my reservation and was left on hold for 25 minutes. We arrived at the hotel, and check-in was the best part of our stay. The desk staff was courteous. And then she handed us the list of things our dogs COULD NOT DO (so much for catering to dog shows); I've never seen such a list of negatives! We were then instructed (by the map handed to us) to park in an area that was apparently restricted to hotel RESIDENTS, and everyone in the lot got a ticket. The little laminated sign on the door was NOT sufficient signage; how about putting an actual SIGN up, or contacting hotel guests to warn them about the infringement (the hotel has everyone's license info). "Legal" parking was no where NEAR where our rooms were. Our room looked NOTHING like the website's photos. While the room was fine, it certainly wasn't what was advertised. My stay at the Econolodge was just as good, and half the price... AND I got free breakfast. I will certainly warn other dogshow folks AGAINST this venue!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Lori M,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Olympia Resort. I would like to be the first to apologize on behalf of the Resort for the unsatisfactory stay you had. A 25 minute hold on the telephone is unacceptable and we have placed more staff at the front desk so phone calls will be answered promptly and if there is a waiting period they will ask for a telephone number and name so they can call you, instead of putting a guest on hold for a period of time. I am glad that checking in did go smoothly for you. With our dog show we do have a list of rules and regulations for having a pet in your room. This is a list that the Show Chair and our Dog Show Coordinator do go over and both agree too. With the parking it is available at the front of the Resort, next to the registration area. We do allow the back area to load and unload for guest convenience. I would like to discuss your stay further if you would like to contact me.
Lebanon, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I often travel to Southern Wisconsin on business and find Olympia to be central to every client I need to meet, plus they offer meeting rooms and always have gone out of their way to help host clients and do business.

Breakfast is amazing, and I would suggest the freshly made waffles - superb.

Lastly, the pool is a great relaxer for the end of a long day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear ElGringoBandito,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Olympia Resort and Spa. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Olympia and will continue to strive to make sure your stay is great each time. We hope to see you back at the Resort again soon.
Lake Villa, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Check-in was no problem and even got a free upgrade to a room with a Jacuzzi! The bar was a fun time with good food. The homemade mozzarella sticks were the best. The room was clean with a nice view of the countryside and quiet. The town of Oconomowac still has a few of the iconic Wisconsin Supper Clubs and old-timey bars downtown. Overall a wonderful place for a nice weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Olympia Resort. We are delighted that you had a great time at our Resort and hope to see you again. I will forward your comments to each Department Manager to inform each employee of the enjoyable stay you have had.
Candice Bergemann

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!