“Great time, good food, beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars

Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 Royale Mile Road, Oconomowoc, WI 53066   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
Lake Villa, Illinois, United States
“Great time, good food, beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Check-in was no problem and even got a free upgrade to a room with a Jacuzzi! The bar was a fun time with good food. The homemade mozzarella sticks were the best. The room was clean with a nice view of the countryside and quiet. The town of Oconomowac still has a few of the iconic Wisconsin Supper Clubs and old-timey bars downtown. Overall a wonderful place for a nice weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Tom W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Olympia Resort. We are delighted that you had a great time at our Resort and hope to see you again. I will forward your comments to each Department Manager to inform each employee of the enjoyable stay you have had.
Candice Bergemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at the Olympia Resort last weekend and had a great time. Check-in was quick and we got a nice room with 2 Queen beds, which was perfect for the family. The room had a refrigerator, which came in very handy to keep our sodas cold and store leftovers from the great food we enjoyed in Rick’s Café.

The resort has 2 pools and the outdoor pool was a blast. They played cool music and also had a snack bar that served awesome Island Oasis smoothies, which were delicious.

We had dinner in Rick’s Café Saturday night and everything was delicious. We started with Wings and Cheese sticks and enjoyed a huge pizza with cheese and pepperoni. Our server was very friendly and offered a variety of desserts but we were too full.

The resort was very busy with three weddings but had plenty of parking to accommodate everyone. A very important thing to note is that Olympia is Pet Friendly so we were able to bring our dog and save a lot of money by not having to leave him at the kennel.

The resort has a designated dog walking area in the back complete with bags in case you forget to bring one. The weather was so nice that we took the dog for a very long walk and saw a lot of people outside that were attending the wedding in the tent just having a blast. They all stopped to pet the dog and were raving about the great time they were having at the wedding.

I’ll have to say this is one of the best weekend getaways we have had in a long time and the Olympia Resort offers everything you could possibly imagine except for a water park which we were not looking for because they are always way too crowded. We wanted a place with a nice outdoor pool and got exactly what we wanted. There were plenty of chairs for everyone and the pool staff keeps the area very neat and well stocked with towels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
LaurenN,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. I have sent this letter to each department manager so they can let the staff know that they are doing a great job. I hope to see you again on your next vacation to Oconomowoc. Have a Wonderful Summer.
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

In order to build my credibility before you read this, please understand that I'm by no means an avid traveler, and have stayed in my fair share of 2-3 star hotels. For a place that's website claims to be "ideal" accommodations and a "premier resort and conference centr," I am shocked that this place is still in business. I also wouldn't have taken the time to write this review if I was not so upset with the way this place is run.

My fiance and I had stayed here during a weekend in June for a friend's wedding. He was standing up in the wedding, and I was unaware that he had checked in to the room to drop off a few things. He had booked the room a week in advance and had confirmation that this would be with the block of rooms. Upon his arrival, they were unable to locate his reservation.

The first woman behind the counter looked for about 10 minutes and found it right away. When I arrived a few hours later after he had left to get ready for the ceremony, I stood in line for 20 minutes before finally getting to the front desk. I spoke with a gentleman and informed him that I was checking in to the block of rooms for the wedding and gave him my fiance's last name. He looked for 10 more minutes and tried to track the reservation by both last name and date booked. Finally, he informed me that someone had already checked in. I was furious that it had taken him so long to realize this.

When I arrived at the room (I believe it was #367), I slid my shoes off and to my surprise, the floor was very wet over a span of about a 6'x6' space right at the entrance. My guess is that it was either coming from the bathroom or the refrigerator. There was also a musty stench in the entire room which was noticed by some other guests that stepped foot into our room. As a result, I called down to the front desk and informed them of the damp carpet and smell, and they informed me to go to room 242 and that someone would meet me with a key at the other room (I was happy to hear we were upgraded, but this meant that we were no longer in the block of rooms with other guests attending the wedding.)

Two other wedding attendees and I hauled our stuff down to the next room and after a few minutes, we noticed a man making his way down the hallway. He was not in any hurry to get there even though we needed to be on a shuttle and had a few items in tote in front of the room. When he arrived, he informed us that he did not have the key and that we should have it. He radioed to another employee who finally arrived to let us in.

This 2nd room was much larger and nicer, but the decor and furniture were straight out of the early 90's. I will admit that the bed was very comfortable and the shower was great, but for a resort with a $140 room rate for a wedding block, I have to say that I am still uneasy that we paid that much for the room. The pools looked great, but we didn't get to utilize them. We could have paid $79 to stay at the Staybridge Inn and Stes not too far down the road or one of the other hotels that the bride/groom had reserved.

Bottom line is, I have stayed at motels with nicer ammenities and better customer service, and this was probably the worst hoteling experience I've encountered. Spare yourself and book with any other local hotel... I guarantee you'll have a better experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Oconomowoc hotels

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Me and my husband enjoyed a wonderful romantic weekend at this resort. We got in Friday and check in went good. Our room was nice and clean, everything looked new. On Saturday we relaxed by the pool, the water was perfect. The pool area was busy but not crowed. The setting was absolutely beautiful. We went to the bar in the evening. The night started off slow. The bartenders were very friendly. They had a great DJ, as the night went on the place got pretty busy and we had a fun time. We had a great weekend without even leaving the resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Beth J,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review for the Olympia Resort. I am glad that we could give you both the Weekend Getaway that you deserve. I will make sure to pass your comments to each department so they can inform each employee to keep up the good work. We hope to see you both again soon.
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I met 3 of my friends at this resort this past weekend for a girls weekend. It was a convenient location for us as we were coming from north of Milwaukee, Madison, and Ilinois. We were excited and had reviewed the photos on the website (and TripAdvisor) and were very disappointed upon walking into our room.

Check in was fine, nothing wonderful but nothing awful. When we walked into the room, it was nothing like the photos seen online. I realize the resort is under renonovation and they obviously hadn't gotten to our room. Green carpet, peeling (ugly) wall paper, stained tub. The room was clean but smelled like dog. While showering the next day, I heard a dog barking so I guess a dog had stayed in our room and gotten wet before our arrival b/c that is what it smelled like. We decided to deal with it and enjoy our time together.

One of the bright spots was Tim, who graciously agreed to pick us up from downtown Ocononomoc from the martini bar. Thanks, Tim! We spent the rest of the evening at the Indigo Bar for karaoke and dancing. It was a great time but the drinks were expensive. The bar was busy and only 2 bartenders who couldn't keep up.

The next morning we were all very excited for spa treatments but were quickly disappointed. 2 of us had facials, massages, and pedis. The other 2 had pedis only. We were greeted and one of the pedi appointments were whisked off quickly. The remaining 3 of us had a brief tour of spa (the friend who got whisked off never got tour so I gave her one) which is like a dungeon. In the women's spa, the eucalyptus room smelled musty, the steam room had stains on the floor. The bathroom and changing areas seemed like they were out of the 70s. Our massages and facials were fine. The one person doing the pedis was SLOW and while there were 2 chairs only one person doing pedis and she got behind right away. The pedicure chairs were duck taped!!! I kids you not!! I was appalled for as much as we paid for the pedictures, the chairs were duck taped. Very unclassy. The nail tech was friendly but seemed inexperienced and TOOK FOREVER. Honestly I have had a better pedi from a salon in a strip mail than the one we got. We decided not to enjoy the whirlpools after seeing how old everything was. The girls at the front were new and you could tell. As we all left separately (due to nail tech being behind), the ladies at front forgot to tell 3 of our group they needed a wristband for pool so we had to go back.

After comparing notes around the pool (which is the one bright spot of this resort - the pool is lovely and the drinks there were delicious), we discovered that even though my friend and I had basically the same package (facial, massage and pedi - she altered her pedi slightly), we were charted more than $30 different!!! I was charged $145 and she was charged $114. She still had a pedicure but just didn't have peppermint lotion. I was (and continue to be) upset at this difference. I can't imagine that it was really a $30 difference. I am not sure if it is the inexperience of the staff or maybe a mistake with billing. My friends who just got pedi was $60. TOO expensive for the horrible facility with a duck taped pedicure chair.

I am very disappointed that the hotel was not what we had hoped. Our weekend together ended on a very sour note after the spa experiences. We have this girls weekend every year and it would have been a great place for us to meet, however after our experience, I am not sure I can talk my friends into going back. Since I arranged the hotel and spa treatments, I feel like it is my fault. Note to others, the photos do not represent what you may experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms. Maybe those are better!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Stephhayden1,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Olympia Resort. I would first like to apologize for the unsatisfactory girls weekend you had. We are still currently under renovations to the whole Resort, Renovations are not complete on all of the guest rooms, but they are in progress. I have informed Tim of the great review for his customer service. Also I have talked to our Spa Manager in regards to your Spa Services and the disappointment, We are starting renovations on the Spa at this time, They are making a new mani/pedi area with new furniture that is not yet complete. She did i also explain the $30 dollar difference for the Pedicures is that the Ultimate Pedicure is a 30 minute and the Peppermint is a 60 minute service. The 30 minute pedi is $30.00 while the 60 minute is $60.00. The Spa Manager and I would like to further discuss your experience and see if there is something that we can do to get you ladies back here Next Girls Weekend after the Renovations are complete. I look forward to hearing from you.
Revenue Manager
(262) 369-4979
Little Chute, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

hotel is very old and run-down however the hotel is under construction for updating. Checking in was fine and fast. Once we got to our room we realized that the room had not been vacuumed. There was dog hair all over and crumbs on the floor. We had a two-room suite and the chairs around the table were all pulled out instead of being nicely pushed in. I called the front desk and they offered us a different room that was not a two-room suite. I asked if they could just send someone to vacuum since I didn’t want to down-grade our room. Later that day we went to the pool where we had to get a wristband from the spa. The girl working the spa was new and there were some kids trying to get a ball from her. She was not helpful to them at all and said she wasn’t sure and she was new. The boys told her where to get the ball from. The spa employee acted like she wasn’t sure if she should get them but didn’t call anyone to ask and seemed very incompetent. The pool area doesn’t allow carry-ins within the fenced in part of the pool. The area that carry-ins are allowed is outside of the pool where there is nowhere to put comfortable chairs so you’re forced to sit at a picnic table. The pool bar closed at 6:30 and you still aren’t allowed to bring carry-ins even though you can no longer buy them from the bar. I did see a lot of people drinking out of cups that were not from the bar within the fenced in area so apparently some people are allowed to bring in drinks, others are not. We decided to sit in the area overlooking the pool on the second floor and we brought our cooler. At night we went to the Indigo bar. The bar had two young bartenders that were the worst bartenders I have ever encountered. We were overcharged and brought it to their attention and there was no apology as they gave our money back. We watched the bartenders try to figure out the difference of what we were overcharged and it took them awhile. Our money was just set-down without an explanation. The bar was not busy at all and one good bartender could have easily handled the customers in the bar but the two girls they did have working could not keep up since they basically talked to the hotel security or went outside to smoke instead of looking around the bar to see who needed drinks. There was security all over the hotel and I am not sure why they were needed. Maybe for the weddings but the security was walking around the lobby and bar area and there was not a lot of people in the bar. The next day we ate at Rick’s café. I cannot believe how long it took for me to get a water and then for us to get our bill. Again, not many people in the restaurant. The food was good, especially the omelet bar. Since the hotel is so old I suggest that they hire good employees. The employees I encountered do not belong in the service industry and need a lot more training on customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Candiceviola, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write Olympia Resort regarding your experience. I would first like to apologize for the Unsatisfactory Customer Service that you did receive. It is unacceptable and will be dealt with by each individual department manager. Our number one priority at this Resort is Customer Service and trying to make sure that every guest has an enjoyable experience. Through each department, training will be revisited with these employees to ensure guest satisfaction. I have noticed that you have stayed at the Resort on prior occasions, and hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity. I would like to discuss your experience further if you would like to Contact me.
Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband & I stayed over one night for our 7th anniversary. Most places in the area were booked because it being Memorial Day weekend. We were looking forward to the stay with what we saw online.
We pulled up it was very outdated. They admitted to my husband they were short on cleaning staff and that it would take some time to get our room.
Our room was the basic hotel room, nothing fancy. The bathroom fan didn't work and the bottom of the tub was stained.
The pool was nice and warm but not so nice swimming around with clumps of dark hair floating in it.
The spa was nice. This is the only thing I can say was nice.
The d.j. BAD!! We went to the bar for a few drinks and left early because of the music.
We decided to go with the breakfast buffet. SO GROSS!! They charged $12 for crap! And the service wasn't the greatest.
Sunday morning I woke up with bites on my leg, not sure exactly what they are and have an appointment to see my doctor. Over all will never stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Candiceviola, Guest Relations Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Kristina,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Olympia Resort. I would first let to say Congratulations on 7 years of Marriage. I would secondly like to apologize on behalf of the Resort for less less then perfect Anniversary stay that you did receive. I did forward our message to each of the departments that it does pertain to for training to insure the issues do not happen in the future. I would like to insure you that they are starting to remodel the property such as guest rooms and the O'Spa, but it is a process that they are doing at this time and still have a lot of work to do. If you do have a moment I would like to discuss your experience further. If you could please contact me I would greatly appreciate it.
Revenue Manager

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!